Router Forums - View Single Post - Small angle clamping jig.

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
4DThinker

First Name: 4D

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPG3 View Post
4D, I was taught that the 4- basic dimensions are: X, Y, Z & Time, do you concur?

I like the way you think and solve problems. You also have a tremendous gift of self-critique to improve on your initial designs.

Otis Guillebeau (inventor) from Auburn, Georgia
Thanks Otis.

As for dimensions it depends on who you ask. I had a college studio professor who balked at me when I claimed my project for him had a 4th dimension (of time). The office space I designed (a 1st floor bank in a multi-floored building) could be reconfigured during the evening non-business hours to keep upper floor visitors and tenants out of the bank spaces, but permit easy access to banking resources during banking hours. He eventually accepted my 4th.

On a CNC we may have X,Y,Z and A (rotary) for 4, as well as X,Y,Z,A and B for 5 where A and B are two more dynamic dimensions of bit movement/orientation during a cut. You could consider the variety of router bits used a unique dimension. Change the bit and you change the outcome.

String theorists might insist there are 10, 11, or 26 dimensions.

I try and stick to 4 where time is the 4th. Of my own designs many have more than one configuration their 3 dimensions can change to or through. A chair that folds up for flat storage has a 4th dimension. It can't be folded AND unfolded at the same moment, so each state exists at different times. A coffee table of 4 parts that can be re-arranged to change the height of the top has a 4th dimension. A tv-tray stand that can turn inside out to present a flat or a sloped top (for tablet/laptop use) has a 4th dimension. Etc..

The open frame design of Probotix' CNCs permits re-configuring it for complex cuts as your needs change over time. Keeping the 3 axis of movement the same, but adding new orientations for clamping work beneath them lets one take advantage of their 4th dimension potential.

4D

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome