Router Forums banner

Makita Rail System Router Compatibility

40K views 53 replies 10 participants last post by  jholpain 
#1 ·
I own a Makita 3612BR plunge router and would like to know if it is compatible with the Makita SP6000 K1 rail system. I know that the rail system has a router adapter but am unsure if the holder would fit my old plunge router.

The following is a video of the rail system and at 7:39 into the video they show the router adapter.

Makita SP6000K1 Plunge Saw & 1.4m Rail - YouTube

#2 ·
In spite of being one of Makita's biggest fans I've never come across the rail system. I would be very surprised if the router adaptor didn't fit the 3612 which has been sold worlwide in huge numbers as has the 3600BR which takes the same edge guide with 12mm rods. By the way, that saw really is something, I'll bet that Porter Cable will, at this very moment be attempting to copy it without infringing patents! What a pity they haven't produced a router that compares with the variable speed version of the 3612! I'm now signing off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 · (Edited)
Perhaps with so many 3612's out there someone on this site has. I like the plunge saw but I would like them to make one with a deeper plunge capacity like the Festool TS 75 plunge cut saw. Makita plays the copycat role but perhaps they will get an engineering department rather than a reverse engineering department and then they can begin to innovate.

#5 · (Edited)
Festool invented the plunge saw and Makita copied it. Festool invented the rail system and Makita copied it. Festool invented their systainer system and lo and behold the Makita plunge saw comes in a systainer type case with Festool type clamps a Festool type rail, protractor, stops, bars to join rails together. The Makita rail has been made compatible to the Festool rail in order to steal customers from Festool. Reverse engineering and blatant copycat practices. Probably the high cost of the Festool products has to do with Research & Development which is quite costly. R&D groups cost heavily because it takes very talented, dedicated and innovative individuals to invent and bring new products to market and it also takes a forward thinking company culture to foster and encourage those practices. Makita does not have to expend the capital for R&D teams if all that they do is reverse engineer other companies innovations so overall costs are less for Makita. Makita is into evolution and not revolution. Please bear in mind that I have no ax to grind for I do not own any Festool tools and do own a Makita router and 8 1/4" circular saw.

#7 ·
You are correct in that Holz-Her Karl M.Reich introduced their plunge saw in 1970 or 1971. In the 1986 catalogue Festo offered two plunge cut saws: the AXF 45 and the AXT 55. And in 1990 Festo already sold the ATF 55 plunge cut saw, which was the predecessor of the current TS 55 model. In Europe, the TS 55 was introduced in 2003. I wasn't complaining about "standardization" I just wanted to illustrate a point regarding Makita and reverse engineering.

Makita bought into the systainer idea in order to mimic Festool. I'm sure that Tanos figured that Makita would copy their designs with or without their help so why not make a few bucks on this marriage of convenience.

Your point is well made regarding patents. They made their money so now it's a free for all and we are the winners. :agree:

Makita just evolved the cordless power tool market but it was Black and Decker in conjunction with NASA that revolutionized that line of tools. Fein revolutionized the industry by introducing the multitool. Skill revolutionized the industry by introducing the circular saw and Bosch with the jigsaw. Makita just reverse engineered ELU when they introduced their SCMS. Thank you for helping me make my point. I reiterate "Makita is into evolution not revolution." :yes2:

#13 ·
Makita just reverse engineered ELU when they introduced their SCMS.
Marcel, the original PS174 evolved into the PS274 which is nothing quite like any other SCMS (believe me - I use the great grandson of these saws, the deWalt DW771). Everyone in the tool industry (manual, pneumatic and power) copies each other and along the way improvements happen - I don't think that makita are any worse at that than any other firm. So why single them out for such scorn?

Regards

Phil

#9 ·
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Thats my belief anyway.....:dance3:

...and the responses had nothing to do with the original question......

#11 ·
In case nobody has noticed, ALL companies jump on good ideas and create their own version. Contractors need cases to protect their tools during transport and down time. I think the idea of the cases being the same size and locking together simplifies the process. Does it really matter who was first with the good idea? If being first was how purchases were decided upon then everyone would own Snap-On sockets. Competition is a good thing and we can choose our tools acording to our needs, preferences and prices.

#12 · (Edited)
Oh dear, have I once again injected some passion into the forum! I was however serious about Makita routers, they have one of the smoothest plunges and largest openings around and are found on just about every building site here in Australia intermingled with a few Hitachi's.

#14 · (Edited)
We all gain from capitalism

Okay guys so maybe you are correct and everyone is copying designs from each other, buying defunct companies out to get their patents or waiting for patents to run out to copy better designs. There is no doubt in my mind that these revolutionary and evolutionary advances help us along in our self appointed tasks (can't wait to use my new laser drill :moil:). I guess that I will call a Makita rep to find an answer to my question. Regarding the plunge cut saw neither Festool or Makita can meet my needs yet. The Makita saw does not cut deep enough and the Festool does not achieve the desired 47.5 degrees that I need for my latest project. I hope that Makita is working on a larger plunge saw.

Btw, I forgot that I also own a Makita SCMS. :lol:

#19 ·
Personally I'm just glad that other companies introduce an element of competition into the equation otherwise we'd all be paying silly prices.
Plus a new company making a product often improves the design.

Isaac Newton said:
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.
Yeah I know, Isaac Newton isn't a member here but I just though it was worth mentioning that everyone with any idea at all, is influenced by someone else.
We all try to improve on someone else's designs and there's not many who really break the mold, despite how we might think we do.

#20 · (Edited)
Personally I'm just glad that other companies introduce an element of competition into the equation otherwise we'd all be paying silly prices.
Plus a new company making a product often improves the design.

Yeah I know, Isaac Newton isn't a member here but I just though it was worth mentioning that everyone with any idea at all, is influenced by someone else.
We all try to improve on someone else's designs and there's not many who really break the mold, despite how we might think we do.
Well of course he could see further. He was standing on a giant's shoulder. :lol:

Attachments

#24 ·
I believe that Hoover invented the vacuum cleaner but my wife for one is glad that Dyson vastly improved on it and now so many makers are are producing similar bagless ones.

#32 ·
No doubt Hoover "copied" it with improvements just as so many others have, especially Dyson. Don't you feel better now that your public profile has been completed and all members are now in a much better position to answer or even ask you questions questions based on your extensive experience. I for one am an amateur metal machinist and no doubt will be seeking advice from you in the future.

#33 ·
I'm not so sure about my knowledge being "extensive." How is background beneficial in answering any of my questions? I'd be happy to answer any questions that I can.
My cousin owns and uses a small Myford lathe and really likes it. I believe that he said that he had to get accustomed to working with it when he first got it, He said something about the handles being opposite from what he was familiar with.

#34 · (Edited)
Hi Marcel

I'm "blessed" with a somewhat retentive memory (my significant other describes it as "selectively retentive") - anyway I seem to recall seeing a reference in a supplier's catalogue about rail adaptors. This afternoon I finally found it on the ITS website, here. The guide rail adaptor suits the newest RP1801 and RP2301 routers. My understanding is that these two routers come with 10mm fence rods - could an owner of one of these routers possibly confirm the fence rod size and fence rod centres so that I can check cpompatibility against other models from elsewhere? If my information is correct then the new routers have fences which are compatible with those of the Bosch GOF1600/1700/2000, Elu MOF131/177, deWalt DW625 and Trend T10/T11 routers (a sort of "European standard" router fence specification). In addition Makita Makita also sell guide rail adaptors for the 5603R and 5703R circular saws, for the 4350, 4351, BJV140 and BJV180 jigsaws and are due to bring out an adaptor for the RT0700 laminate/trim router when that appears in Europe in Autumn this year.

Sadly the Bosch rail adaptor for their GOF900/1300/1600/1700/2000 routers won't fit (although it will work with Elu/deWalt/Metabo/Trend/Perles 8mm and compatible plunge routers as well as the Elu MOF131/177, deWalt DW624/DW625, Mafell LO65, Festool OF2000/OF2200 and compatible routers because it will accommodate 8mm and 10mm rods). Neither will the Festool rail adaptor for their OF2000/OF2200 routers fit because it is designed to work with 10mm rods. Note that the above adaptors are cross-compatible with each other and the Makita/Hilti/Protool/Metabo guide rail systems because the "hump" on all of those rails is of identical cross section

What's the betting that Makita won't be selling an adaptor for a router they no longer produce?

Regards

Phil

#36 ·
"How is background beneficial in answering any of my questions"

What would be the point of answering a members question by suggesting how it's done in a lathe if the member hasn't got a lathe? Or possibly tell a member who turns out to be in America that he can obtain an item from Bunnings which is an Australian company. Or perhaps telling a beginner that using a plunge router using a template guide is the way to go when the member hasn't yet bought a router. I'm sure you understand where I'M coming from Marcel.

#37 · (Edited)
If you suggested using a lathe to accomplish a certain task and I had no idea how to accomplish that task or did not own a lathe than I would hire a machine shop technician to do it for me. If you suggested obtaining something at Bunnings than all I would have to do is order it from here Bunnings Warehouse - Lowest prices are just the beginning - Bunnings Warehouse or find the item locally. Regarding template guides all that I would have to do is go here #41 Using Template Guides to Cut Shapes Pt-1 - YouTube and here
#42 Using Template Guides to Cut Shapes-part 2 - YouTube and I would soon be up to speed. :)

BTW in the first video he uses steel template guides but they can sometimes loosen with vibration so I found it best to use brass guides.

#45 ·
Well, I happen to own Makita SP6000 and RT0700C Router. I also have that adapter for giude rail. As far as i know it was originally made for RP1110C (which seems to have same mountings as RT0700). When I get home, I'll try to remember to check it out. Maybe it has mountings for different routers. At least the guide with microadjustment has fittings for three different routers.

#46 ·
Ok, now let me see: The rail adapters'' manual leaflet lists compatible routers on the front page. The list includes: RP0910, RP1110C, 3612, 3612C, 3612BR, RP1800, RP1801, RP1800F, RP1801F, RP2300FC and RP2301FC. RT0700C is not mentioned, but it it is compatible.

Hope this is of some use all though some time has passed since the the original query.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.