After slinging chips all over the shop when I cut that Pecan slice sign I decided it was time to review the homemade dust shoe. I have about $5 in this dust shoe, maybe $6, and it works to about 50% efficiency on chips and about 90% on MDF dust.
So I looked at the airflow in and around the dust shoe with the DC on and decided that the broom bristles are just spaced out too far a the top. This does two things - the chips can fly through the openings and also the air being pulled in by the DC is taking a shortcut through those gaps instead of pulling chips from the work piece.
I picked up some carpet runner, fairly flexible and sort of transparent, and wrapped it around the dust shoe. I just stapled it in place to test but the good thing is it worked. I cut a pocket 4" x 6" x 3/8" deep into a piece of Cherry and I didn't see more than 6-8 little chips when it was all said and done. And chips that manage to escape are picked back up when the brush comes back around on subsequent passes. So I'll probably use it like this for a while and then do a cleaner version at some point.
Some of the chips get stuck between the bristles and vinyl but those are easily dislodged and cleaned up.
Clean pocket; previously there would have been a lot of dust and chips on the work piece and in the pocket. The chips on the spoilboard are from messing with the dust shoe and some of it falling.
I still have some other ideas for a better performing dust shoe but I have too many projects that need my attention first.