Daikusan Daikusan is offline
- My Shop
Some detailed information about my workshop.
- My Shop
- My new shop is in a large shed with no dust collection, so I do everything outdoors; hence weather seriously affects my work. The shed houses my tools and a table saw. I have a teardown work bench that is beefy and sets up in a couple of minutes. My router table and miter saw and jigs are mounted to ¾" plywood and can be clamped to the top of the workbenh.
- Woodworker Information
A few details about myself.
- I grew up in central Iowa and took woodworking in Jr and High School. Completed several project, helped build several houses, and a couple of major renovations by myself. I started using a router 10 years ago with an old Craftsman 1/4" Router (circa '70s) a hand-me-down from my dad. The router lasted trough many tough projects. The pulpit project pushed its limits with oversized bits and that likely was the ultimate demise of the router this spring making Japanese lanterns. I now have 14A 2½ HP ½" Craftsman and another ¼" Craftsman.
All my routing projects have been in Japan. The Japanese bits are 6mm not the 6.35mm that the ¼" bits are. ¼" collets must be modified to hold the smaller Japanese bits. The purchase of several woodworking books led me to router books and ultimately this site. I still am an amateur at the router but I am looking forward to many new exciting projects with the beefier ½" router.
The Japanese word for an amateur woodworker is nichiyo daikusan, literally meaning Sunday only woodworker and hence my nickname Daikusan. That’s just a Japanese saying for a part time hobby, it doesn’t mean I do woodwork on Sundays; I don’t.
- Northern Japan
- 3 year ago I started hauling cherry trees to a band saw sawmill and am now drying the lumber. The first set is ready to be worked with.
- Favorite Router
- Craftsman and Makita
- Woodworking Experience (Years)
- First Name
- Workmanship is not perfection; it is how well you can cover your mistakes.
|10:21 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Daikusan in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
...ke that.:surprise: Daikusan rain Man 2.0 Thi...
|06:15 AM - Daikusan mentioned Gaffboat in post Japanese Puzzle Box |
... I think Oliver AKA Gaffboat should make one like...
|05:23 AM - jj777746 mentioned Daikusan in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
...y New Year everyone Daikusan Happy new year to yo...
|10:48 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Daikusan in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
...t was the truth. Daikusan We should all start...
|12:57 PM - Cherryville Chuck quoted Daikusan in post New noise |
YES your are right. If you m...
|07:01 AM - Daikusan quoted Stick486 in post Use An Air Compressor Instead Of Can Of Compressed Air ? |
vacuuming works well on my po...
|06:14 AM - Daikusan quoted Shop guy in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
In order to more fully enjoy ...
|01:12 AM - Daikusan quoted Herb Stoops in post Map Board |
Good job and sure took a lot of ...
|11:08 PM - kklowell quoted Daikusan in post New noise |
You can replace the bearings ...
|10:13 PM - Daikusan quoted honesttjohn in post New noise |
While we're on the subject -- wo...
|10:08 PM - Daikusan quoted kklowell in post New noise |
Binding in the motor would me...
|10:00 PM - Daikusan quoted JOAT in post Map Board |
Nice. I use Titebond II ...
|08:34 AM - kklowell quoted Daikusan in post New noise |
Since its belt driven - take ...
|08:06 AM - Daikusan quoted Shop guy in post Map Board |
Nice job, Steve. Really like ...
|04:28 AM - jj777746 quoted Daikusan in post Use my last word .. first. |
Again is a do over Over the o...
|01:39 PM - Cherryville Chuck quoted Daikusan in post Spice up your glueups |
Im with Chuck, I would think ...
|04:04 AM - jj777746 quoted Daikusan in post Use my last word .. first. |
Chilli with Texas habaneros -...
|06:35 AM - Daikusan quoted Stick486 in post Don't even think about... |
that's 4 times... leave it t...
|06:25 AM - Daikusan quoted DesertRatTom in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
We're dry for a week, but predict...
|12:49 PM - Cherryville Chuck quoted Daikusan in post Winter in Texas! |
Rick You need a snow burner ...
|05:51 AM - jj777746 quoted Daikusan in post Use my last word .. first. |
Heaven, its a great place. pl...
|12:36 PM - billyjim quoted Daikusan in post Japanese Puzzle Box |
Bill, Is the one you saw thi...
|01:35 AM - MT Stringer quoted Daikusan in post Floating Shelves |
Nice Mike - who won the tug-o...
|01:11 AM - Daikusan quoted DesertRatTom in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
We have a little snow in the moun...