Daikusan Daikusan is offline
- My Shop
Some detailed information about my workshop.
- My Shop
- My new shop is in a 13' X 13' shed with no dust collection, so I do everything outdoors; hence weather seriously affects my work. The shed houses my tools and a table saw and a couple tons of cherry wood. I have a teardown work bench that is beefy and sets up in a couple of minutes. My router table and miter saw and jigs are mounted to ¾" plywood and can be clamped to the top of the workbench. Im in the process of building a new router table.
- Woodworker Information
A few details about myself.
- I grew up in central Iowa and took woodworking in Jr and High School. Completed several project, helped build several houses, and a couple of major renovations by myself. I started using a router 15 years ago with an old Craftsman 1/4" Router (circa '70s) a hand-me-down from my dad. The router lasted trough many tough projects. The pulpit project pushed its limits with oversized bits and that likely was the ultimate demise of the router making Japanese lanterns. I now have 14A 2½ HP ½" Craftsman and another ¼" Craftsman.
All my routing projects have been in Japan. The Japanese bits are 6mm not the 6.35mm that the ¼" bits are. ¼" collets must be modified to hold the smaller Japanese bits. The purchase of several woodworking books led me to router books and ultimately this site. I still am an amateur at the router but I am looking forward to many new exciting projects with the beefier ½" router.
The Japanese word for an amateur woodworker is nichiyo daikusan, literally meaning Sunday only woodworker and hence my nickname Daikusan. That’s just a Japanese saying for a part time hobby, it doesn’t mean I do woodwork on Sundays; I don’t.
- Northern Japan
- 3 year ago I started hauling cherry trees to a band saw sawmill and am now drying the lumber. The first set is ready to be worked with.
- Favorite Router
- Craftsman and Makita
- Woodworking Experience (Years)
- First Name
- Workmanship is not perfection; it is how well you can cover your mistakes.
|11:45 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned Daikusan in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
...rsal addiction. Daikusan I don't enjoy gree...
|10:57 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned Daikusan in post Scraper burnisher? |
Daikusan Curious about the...
|10:21 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Daikusan in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
...ke that.:surprise: Daikusan rain Man 2.0 Thi...
|06:15 AM - Daikusan mentioned Gaffboat in post Japanese Puzzle Box |
... I think Oliver AKA Gaffboat should make one like...
|05:23 AM - jj777746 mentioned Daikusan in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
...y New Year everyone Daikusan Happy new year to yo...
|10:48 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Daikusan in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
...t was the truth. Daikusan We should all start...
|10:13 AM - UglySign quoted Daikusan in post Use my last word .. first. |
Late is better than Never ...
|09:45 AM - cocobolo1 quoted Daikusan in post Carpentry and wood working museum in Kobe Japan |
Kieth, If I ever learn to ma...
|09:42 AM - TenGees quoted Daikusan in post I really like how they made these door handles |
Agreed, nothing personal Paul...
|07:14 AM - Daikusan quoted RainMan 2.0 in post I really like how they made these door handles |
Paul I've wrecked more than one ...
|08:43 AM - difalkner quoted Daikusan in post 18" Walnut Lazy Susan |
Nice, how was church? Fant...
|06:05 AM - jj777746 quoted Daikusan in post Use my last word .. first. |
Obesity in all sumo wrestlers...
|08:27 AM - OutoftheWoodwork quoted Daikusan in post Use my last word .. first. |
Sushi at ichiba is best (i...
|05:27 PM - thomas1389 quoted Daikusan in post There goes the neighborhood... |
Dont forget the A&W drive-in ...
|07:35 AM - Daikusan quoted jj777746 in post the Grand canyon... |
Plus 1 I'd seen pics of Th...
|09:15 PM - Daikusan quoted cocobolo1 in post Carpentry and wood working museum in Kobe Japan |
I have a story for you that I ...
|09:09 PM - Daikusan quoted Lappa in post HF dust collector flow measurements |
I've done heaps of measure...
|08:57 PM - Daikusan quoted Eugd in post Fix your planers snipe. |
Omg, I can't believe tha...
|08:51 PM - Daikusan quoted tomp913 in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
Supposedly the optimum brewi...
|12:00 AM - Daikusan quoted DesertRatTom in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
I never learned to drink coffee. ...
|11:53 PM - Daikusan quoted MEBCWD in post Small board storage rack |
David that would be great f...
|11:37 PM - furboo quoted Daikusan in post HF dust collector flow measurements |
Im still missing something in...
|09:35 PM - Daikusan quoted Herb Stoops in post HF dust collector flow measurements |
Steve, yes the picture is with a...
|09:15 PM - Daikusan quoted furboo in post HF dust collector flow measurements |
Steve, no, I didn't measure...
|10:37 AM - Herb Stoops quoted Daikusan in post HF dust collector flow measurements |
Herb, help me out here. I...
|09:02 AM - Gene Howe quoted Daikusan in post Fix your planers snipe. |
Thanks Great info Ditto. ...