DesertRatTom DesertRatTom is online now
- My Shop
Some detailed information about my workshop.
- Power Tools
- Powermatic 6 inch jointer
Makita 12 inch planer
10 inch Laguna Fusion table saw, model 350, home built outfeed table
10 inch Bosch sliding miter saw
2 Bosch 1617 routers
Triton TRA001 in the table
Rockler Router table--Used to have their FX lift, but retired it because it crept easily.
14 inch Laguna 14/12 band saw
10 inch Rikon band saw
Porter Cable biscuit joiner
PC 7.5 inch circular saw
18 v DeWalt 6.5 inch circular saw
" " jig saw and reciprocating saws
3 18 v DeWalt hand drills, one is an impact driver
Delta drill press (table top model)
Grizzly miter trimmer (horizontal guillotine type)
Compressor and various sized finish nail guns
A number of commercial jigs for gear mentioned
Block plane, #4 and #6 Wood River, router plane, rabbit plane
Always adding new items.
- My Shop
- My shop is a 12x24 insulated shed. Another, smaller shed next to the shop is my office. Recently added a Wifi range extender and a super antenna so I have really fast internet there too.
Wife hired an electrician to put in a 60 amp subpanel which feeds interior wiring of 3 20 amp circuits to each shed. Works shared because I'm only using one at a time..
Presently cooled by a room air conditioner with electric heat in winter, same for new office shed.
Recently replaced my home made dust collector with two Harbor Freight 2 hp units, one for the workshop the other for the garage where i keep my jointer and planer. Both have 30 gal chip collectors.
Space is tight and I've made compact stands on casters for all tools to replace original oversized stands. I'm considering adding an enclosed porch to the sheds so I can have comfortable, shady outdoor space to have an evening toddy with my sweetie.
Have lots of shelving and drawers for accessories. Also use small 10 x 12 inch closeable, stacking plastic tubs to hold things like router bits, measuring devices and other small gear.
I have a serious maple workbench with end vise, to which I added a fold down extension so it doubles the work surface when I need it.
Layout has about 60 percent space for power tools, the rest is counter tops, shelving and work bench. About 250 square ft of floor space, so things are tight. Recently made modifications that opened the shop up nicely, including a shelf hanging down from the roof joints so I can store picture frame material nice and flat.
Keep the jointer and planer in the garage since there isn't enough room for them in the shop.
- Woodworker Information
A few details about myself.
- I work as a consultant, about age 73, started woodworking about 10 years ago, did carpentry for home improvement much of my life. Was a journalist for some years, but became weary of the endless deadlines and having little time to research and write at the level I wished. Was a business writer and editor for 5 years and did hundreds of interviews with major business executives. Great experience, like getting an MBA in real world business. Fell into my present work through a foundation for which I worked as a communications director. Its kind of like missionary work because my clients help a lot of kids have much better lives. Making enough money to afford good tools, probably far beyond my ability to use them fully, but who knows how much longer any one of us will be here, so don't want to waste my time and efforts trying to get cheap tools to work well. Biggest insight about woodworking is that it is all about precision. There is no way to make great stuff in a rush.
- Live in the Victor Valley of Southern California, on the edge of the Mojave Desert.
- I'm a very specialized consultant to eye doctors who work with children, and work with my daughter in that business. Travel a lot. I used to do a lot of landscaping, but slowed down after successful cancer threatment a few years ago. Converted our empty lot to a dryland park with 185 ft. long dry stream bed with an "island on one end reached by a redwood bridge. Went from no trees to a dozen or so more or less native species and hundreds of plants lining about 1,5200 feet of trails winding around and through this garden. Found, lifted and placed about 45 tons of rock for the garden. I can no longer lift many of the boulders.
Belong to a senior group that does presentations, so I do a lot of research and rather fancy PowerPoint presentations. Did some lectures at the local library.
Do a lot of writing, mostly associated with my work. Dabble in photography which was a big part of my life for many years as a reporter and editor on daily papers in Southern California.
I plan to make toys and cabinetry for now, but do a LOT of serious home improvement projects. Getting interested in furniture, but the house is full so I have no pressing needs. Now just at the stage where my efforts turn out quite well every time--at least my wife is impressed. Have been putting together cabinets and bookshelves lately for a living room entertainment and storage area. My wife is a budding artist, so I am also making picture frames these days.
- Favorite Router
- Recently bought and already love my table mount Triton TRA001. The power is awesome and the above table height adjustment is easier on my knees. I use two Bosch 1617s for freehand work since they are much lighter and managable than the Triton. I added a Bosch Colt not long ago.
- Woodworking Experience (Years)
- About 12 years of woodworking, home improvement and reapirs most of my life.
- First Name
- United States
- The more I do, the less I accomplish.
|04:19 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned tomp913 in post Chip collector find |
tomp913 I tried for some ti...
|01:07 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Gaffboat in post Rust and More Rust |
...dered what I think Gaffboat (Oliver) suggested. ...
|01:05 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned chessnut2 in post Table Saw Dust Collection Advice |
chessnut2 Hi, I have the 36 ...
|04:15 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Ches in post Table Saw Dust Collection Advice |
...f that approach. Chessnut Exciting getti...
|02:45 PM - JFPNCM mentioned DesertRatTom in post windows 10 |
DesertRatTom vchiarelli Just fo...
|10:21 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Daikusan in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
...ke that.:surprise: Daikusan rain Man 2.0 Thi...
|10:21 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Rainman in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
THANKS Rick, you made my day...
|06:59 PM - vchiarelli mentioned DesertRatTom in post Use my last word .. first. |
Maybe DesertRatTom likes younger cougar...
|12:21 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned cocobolo1 in post Dust Collection Solution CHEAP! |
...ke all the time. cocobolo1 You might check o...
|12:56 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned old coasty in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
... topped apple pie. old coasty, your comment brough...
|07:53 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned JFPNCM in post Dust Collection Solution CHEAP! |
... the 5 micron bag? JFPNCM There is a little m...
|12:37 PM - JFPNCM mentioned DesertRatTom in post Dust Collection Solution CHEAP! |
DesertRatTom Tom: How does the ...
|10:44 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned furboo in post Dust Collection Solution CHEAP! |
furboo I just realized th...
|10:48 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Daikusan in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
...t was the truth. Daikusan We should all start...
|04:51 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned billyjim in post Dust Collection Solution CHEAP! |
billyjim Here is the site f...
|04:39 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned JFPNCM in post Dust Collection Solution CHEAP! |
JFPNCM The WEN filter uni...
|01:31 PM - JFPNCM mentioned DesertRatTom in post Dust Collection Solution CHEAP! |
DesertRatTom What was the price ...
|01:04 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned coxhaus in post Dust Collection Solution CHEAP! |
... in performance. coxhaus To run a line outs...
|07:37 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Jerry Bowen in post Thinking About A Dedicated Band Saw... |
Jerry Bowen Sad to hear your ...
|11:30 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned harrysin in post Thinking About A Dedicated Band Saw... |
...nes are NOT cheap. harrysin the 10 inch Rikon/W...
|11:26 AM - Herb Stoops quoted DesertRatTom in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
We're dry for a week, but My wa...
|06:25 AM - Daikusan quoted DesertRatTom in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
We're dry for a week, but predict...
|12:38 AM - DesertRatTom quoted tmyers in post Old but new at woodworking |
I think the Kreg top is lam...
|02:28 PM - RainMan 2.0 quoted DesertRatTom in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
I believe the PROC (Peoples' Repu...
|12:21 PM - DesertRatTom quoted tmyers in post Old but new at woodworking |
I actually recently found a...
|11:42 AM - DesertRatTom quoted DonkeyHody in post Flat saw for the job site |
I spent two years in Japan, mon...
|10:47 PM - DesertRatTom quoted cocobolo1 in post Dust Collection Solution CHEAP! |
...In looking at the WEN filte...
|08:24 PM - RainMan 2.0 quoted DesertRatTom in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
After conversion, you get our ave...
|11:55 PM - jj777746 quoted DesertRatTom in post Use my last word .. first. |
Wings give tablesaws their essenc...
|09:54 PM - DesertRatTom quoted cocobolo1 in post Dust Collection Solution CHEAP! |
Interesting...mine started as ...
|08:13 PM - RainMan 2.0 quoted DesertRatTom in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
Itchy is an understatement. I we...
|07:48 PM - RainMan 2.0 quoted DesertRatTom in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
@MTStringer I slept so much yest...
|04:22 PM - DesertRatTom quoted MT Stringer in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
Well, I didn't forget. I slept t...
|04:15 PM - DesertRatTom quoted chessnut2 in post Table Saw Dust Collection Advice |
I like your ideas, Tom. A new ...
|08:08 AM - vchiarelli quoted DesertRatTom in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
Itchy is an understatement. I we...
|12:22 PM - cocobolo1 quoted DesertRatTom in post Dust Collection Solution CHEAP! |
cocobolo1 You might check on w...
|10:51 AM - thomas1389 quoted DesertRatTom in post Help on garage project... |
Actually, I liked having all the ...
|10:09 AM - Bushwhacker quoted DesertRatTom in post Help on garage project... |
Getting ready to install insulate...
|09:46 AM - difalkner quoted DesertRatTom in post Dumpster diving! |
Pretty neat how things work out. ...
|01:11 AM - Daikusan quoted DesertRatTom in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
We have a little snow in the moun...