DesertRatTom DesertRatTom is offline
- My Shop
Some detailed information about my workshop.
- Power Tools
- Powermatic 6 inch jointer
Makita 12 inch planer
10 inch Laguna Fusion table saw, model 350, home built outfeed table
10 inch Bosch sliding miter saw
2 Bosch 1617 routers
Triton TRA001 in the table
Rockler Router table--Used to have their FX lift, but retired it because it crept easily.
14 inch Laguna 14/12 band saw
10 inch Rikon band saw
Porter Cable biscuit joiner
PC 7.5 inch circular saw
18 v DeWalt 6.5 inch circular saw
" " jig saw and reciprocating saws
3 18 v DeWalt hand drills, one is an impact driver
Delta drill press (table top model)
Grizzly miter trimmer (horizontal guillotine type)
Compressor and various sized finish nail guns
A number of commercial jigs for gear mentioned
Block plane, #4 and #6 Wood River, router plane, rabbit plane
Always adding new items.
- My Shop
- My shop is a 12x24 insulated shed. Another, smaller shed next to the shop is my office. Recently added a Wifi range extender and a super antenna so I have really fast internet there too.
Wife hired an electrician to put in a 60 amp subpanel which feeds interior wiring of 3 20 amp circuits to each shed. Works shared because I'm only using one at a time..
Presently cooled by a room air conditioner with electric heat in winter, same for new office shed.
Recently replaced my home made dust collector with two Harbor Freight 2 hp units, one for the workshop the other for the garage where i keep my jointer and planer. Both have 30 gal chip collectors.
Space is tight and I've made compact stands on casters for all tools to replace original oversized stands. I'm considering adding an enclosed porch to the sheds so I can have comfortable, shady outdoor space to have an evening toddy with my sweetie.
Have lots of shelving and drawers for accessories. Also use small 10 x 12 inch closeable, stacking plastic tubs to hold things like router bits, measuring devices and other small gear.
I have a serious maple workbench with end vise, to which I added a fold down extension so it doubles the work surface when I need it.
Layout has about 60 percent space for power tools, the rest is counter tops, shelving and work bench. About 250 square ft of floor space, so things are tight. Recently made modifications that opened the shop up nicely, including a shelf hanging down from the roof joints so I can store picture frame material nice and flat.
Keep the jointer and planer in the garage since there isn't enough room for them in the shop.
- Woodworker Information
A few details about myself.
- I work as a consultant, about age 73, started woodworking about 10 years ago, did carpentry for home improvement much of my life. Was a journalist for some years, but became weary of the endless deadlines and having little time to research and write at the level I wished. Was a business writer and editor for 5 years and did hundreds of interviews with major business executives. Great experience, like getting an MBA in real world business. Fell into my present work through a foundation for which I worked as a communications director. Its kind of like missionary work because my clients help a lot of kids have much better lives. Making enough money to afford good tools, probably far beyond my ability to use them fully, but who knows how much longer any one of us will be here, so don't want to waste my time and efforts trying to get cheap tools to work well. Biggest insight about woodworking is that it is all about precision. There is no way to make great stuff in a rush.
- Live in the Victor Valley of Southern California, on the edge of the Mojave Desert.
- I'm a very specialized consultant to eye doctors who work with children, and work with my daughter in that business. Travel a lot. I used to do a lot of landscaping, but slowed down after successful cancer threatment a few years ago. Converted our empty lot to a dryland park with 185 ft. long dry stream bed with an "island on one end reached by a redwood bridge. Went from no trees to a dozen or so more or less native species and hundreds of plants lining about 1,5200 feet of trails winding around and through this garden. Found, lifted and placed about 45 tons of rock for the garden. I can no longer lift many of the boulders.
Belong to a senior group that does presentations, so I do a lot of research and rather fancy PowerPoint presentations. Did some lectures at the local library.
Do a lot of writing, mostly associated with my work. Dabble in photography which was a big part of my life for many years as a reporter and editor on daily papers in Southern California.
I plan to make toys and cabinetry for now, but do a LOT of serious home improvement projects. Getting interested in furniture, but the house is full so I have no pressing needs. Now just at the stage where my efforts turn out quite well every time--at least my wife is impressed. Have been putting together cabinets and bookshelves lately for a living room entertainment and storage area. My wife is a budding artist, so I am also making picture frames these days.
- Favorite Router
- Recently bought and already love my table mount Triton TRA001. The power is awesome and the above table height adjustment is easier on my knees. I use two Bosch 1617s for freehand work since they are much lighter and managable than the Triton. I added a Bosch Colt not long ago.
- Woodworking Experience (Years)
- About 12 years of woodworking, home improvement and reapirs most of my life.
- First Name
- United States
- The more I do, the less I accomplish.
|12:39 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned hawkeye10 in post Dust collector quieting |
hawkeye10 Thanks, I am a th...
|02:48 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Rainman in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
Rainman Let's see, ILLUSTRA...
|11:22 AM - Cricket mentioned DesertRatTom in post New Forum Contributors / New Feature |
...s MT Stringer and DesertRatTom! Y'all realize yo...
|07:17 AM - tomp913 mentioned DesertRatTom in post Saw Blade Cabinet |
DesertRatTom It's pretty stabl...
|06:11 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned Herb Stoops in post Voting for new Forum Contributors |
Herb Stoops about tacking the ...
|11:06 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned LDBecker in post Fix your planers snipe. |
... of brain cells. LDBecker The church I loved...
|09:42 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned LDBecker in post Fix your planers snipe. |
...- it went great. LDBecker Wishing you a love...
|11:13 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Stick486 in post Routerforums.com Not Repsonding |
...1st go around... Stick486 I had slow loading...
|12:22 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned gjackson52 in post Bandsaw Light |
gjackson52 This is how I han...
|11:01 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Stick486 in post one weekend router table build |
Stick486 I agree. A great i...
|10:54 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Stick486 in post Joke a Day |
Stick486 That rat story get...
|10:20 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned vchiarelli in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
vchiarelli In California the ...
|08:52 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Gene Howe in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
Gene Howe I know what you mea...
|08:52 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned MT Stringer in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
...atch every year. MT Stringer There are huge area...
|02:30 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned rodnre in post Table Top Laminate Cutting Questions |
rodnre That's how it work...
|09:46 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned OutoftheWoodwork in post Well... |
OutoftheWoodwork I was editor of my...
|09:21 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned RainMan 2.0 in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
...s down though :( RainMan 2.0 I think this got o...
|03:52 PM - vchiarelli mentioned DesertRatTom in post Hello from new forum member |
...tuned, Stick486 and DesertRatTom will be along shortl...
|02:16 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned thomas1389 in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
thomas1389 DCIM stands for Dig...
|12:24 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned Stick486 in post A few things I got to work on yesterday |
Stick486 That was theoretica...
|07:34 AM - Stick486 quoted DesertRatTom in post Roughneck Hammer |
Any way to cut a slot in the head...
|10:30 PM - DesertRatTom quoted neville9999 in post Teacher/Pupil |
Don't forget that fish procreate...
|09:30 AM - AndyL quoted DesertRatTom in post Cordless Ryobi Trim Router |
Using one battery type in most of...
|07:54 PM - Stick486 quoted DesertRatTom in post New Bosch router base |
This has been around for some tim...
|09:58 AM - DesertRatTom quoted gmercer_48083 in post Basement Shelf Bracing |
Jim, Can you attach legs to the ra...
|05:00 AM - Daikusan quoted DesertRatTom in post Finally somethng new |
Nice, and, diplomatic at the same...
|09:20 AM - chessnut2 quoted DesertRatTom in post Delta 6" Jointer Facelift |
IYes, it would be nice to be able...
|02:53 AM - hawkeye10 quoted DesertRatTom in post Dust collector quieting |
Hi Herb, As you know I've spen...
|08:31 PM - DesertRatTom quoted PhilBa in post Grizzly GO513X2 bandsaw |
I think about getting the r...
|02:12 AM - jj777746 quoted DesertRatTom in post Use my last word .. first. |
Buddy, unfortunately loaned his t...
|10:20 PM - DesertRatTom quoted sunnybob in post love seat |
It depends on your shape. I ...
|10:06 PM - DesertRatTom quoted RainMan 2.0 in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
Umm, you missed the vapour barri...
|09:47 PM - MT Stringer quoted DesertRatTom in post Table Repair, Please |
Really nice job Mike. I like see...
|09:46 PM - RainMan 2.0 quoted DesertRatTom in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
Buy a bundle, put it up. Buy ano...
|09:09 PM - DesertRatTom quoted Terry Q in post Cut my finger. |
Duct tape doesn't breath, I ...
|01:02 PM - RainMan 2.0 quoted DesertRatTom in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
Buy batts now, pile them in the k...
|12:07 PM - JOAT quoted DesertRatTom in post This really is different |
Hi Harry, the link failed. Hope ...
|10:35 AM - DesertRatTom quoted sfchuck in post Cross Cut Sled With Color..... |
In my case the fading of the...
|10:25 AM - DesertRatTom quoted Bushwhacker in post 3 in 1 high chair. |
Thanks Tom... Damn Tom, look wh...
|08:18 AM - Bushwhacker quoted DesertRatTom in post 3 in 1 high chair. |
Man, that is a really nice projec...