DesertRatTom DesertRatTom is online now
- My Shop
Some detailed information about my workshop.
- Power Tools
- Powermatic 6 inch jointer
Makita 12 inch planer
10 inch Laguna Fusion table saw, model 350, home built outfeed table
10 inch Bosch sliding miter saw
2 Bosch 1617 routers
Triton TRA001 in the table
Rockler Router table--Used to have their FX lift, but retired it because it crept easily.
14 inch Laguna 14/12 band saw
10 inch Rikon band saw
Porter Cable biscuit joiner
PC 7.5 inch circular saw
18 v DeWalt 6.5 inch circular saw
" " jig saw and reciprocating saws
3 18 v DeWalt hand drills, one is an impact driver
Delta drill press (table top model)
Grizzly miter trimmer (horizontal guillotine type)
Compressor and various sized finish nail guns
A number of commercial jigs for gear mentioned
Block plane, #4 and #6 Wood River, router plane, rabbit plane
Always adding new items.
- My Shop
- My shop is a 12x24 insulated shed. Another, smaller shed next to the shop is my office. Recently added a Wifi range extender and a super antenna so I have really fast internet there too.
Wife hired an electrician to put in a 60 amp subpanel which feeds interior wiring of 3 20 amp circuits to each shed. Works shared because I'm only using one at a time..
Presently cooled by a room air conditioner with electric heat in winter, same for new office shed.
Recently replaced my home made dust collector with two Harbor Freight 2 hp units, one for the workshop the other for the garage where i keep my jointer and planer. Both have 30 gal chip collectors.
Space is tight and I've made compact stands on casters for all tools to replace original oversized stands. I'm considering adding an enclosed porch to the sheds so I can have comfortable, shady outdoor space to have an evening toddy with my sweetie.
Have lots of shelving and drawers for accessories. Also use small 10 x 12 inch closeable, stacking plastic tubs to hold things like router bits, measuring devices and other small gear.
I have a serious maple workbench with end vise, to which I added a fold down extension so it doubles the work surface when I need it.
Layout has about 60 percent space for power tools, the rest is counter tops, shelving and work bench. About 250 square ft of floor space, so things are tight. Recently made modifications that opened the shop up nicely, including a shelf hanging down from the roof joints so I can store picture frame material nice and flat.
Keep the jointer and planer in the garage since there isn't enough room for them in the shop.
- Woodworker Information
A few details about myself.
- I work as a consultant, about age 73, started woodworking about 10 years ago, did carpentry for home improvement much of my life. Was a journalist for some years, but became weary of the endless deadlines and having little time to research and write at the level I wished. Was a business writer and editor for 5 years and did hundreds of interviews with major business executives. Great experience, like getting an MBA in real world business. Fell into my present work through a foundation for which I worked as a communications director. Its kind of like missionary work because my clients help a lot of kids have much better lives. Making enough money to afford good tools, probably far beyond my ability to use them fully, but who knows how much longer any one of us will be here, so don't want to waste my time and efforts trying to get cheap tools to work well. Biggest insight about woodworking is that it is all about precision. There is no way to make great stuff in a rush.
- Live in the Victor Valley of Southern California, on the edge of the Mojave Desert.
- I'm a very specialized consultant to eye doctors who work with children, and work with my daughter in that business. Travel a lot. I used to do a lot of landscaping, but slowed down after successful cancer threatment a few years ago. Converted our empty lot to a dryland park with 185 ft. long dry stream bed with an "island on one end reached by a redwood bridge. Went from no trees to a dozen or so more or less native species and hundreds of plants lining about 1,5200 feet of trails winding around and through this garden. Found, lifted and placed about 45 tons of rock for the garden. I can no longer lift many of the boulders.
Belong to a senior group that does presentations, so I do a lot of research and rather fancy PowerPoint presentations. Did some lectures at the local library.
Do a lot of writing, mostly associated with my work. Dabble in photography which was a big part of my life for many years as a reporter and editor on daily papers in Southern California.
I plan to make toys and cabinetry for now, but do a LOT of serious home improvement projects. Getting interested in furniture, but the house is full so I have no pressing needs. Now just at the stage where my efforts turn out quite well every time--at least my wife is impressed. Have been putting together cabinets and bookshelves lately for a living room entertainment and storage area. My wife is a budding artist, so I am also making picture frames these days.
- Favorite Router
- Recently bought and already love my table mount Triton TRA001. The power is awesome and the above table height adjustment is easier on my knees. I use two Bosch 1617s for freehand work since they are much lighter and managable than the Triton. I added a Bosch Colt not long ago.
- Woodworking Experience (Years)
- About 12 years of woodworking, home improvement and reapirs most of my life.
- First Name
- United States
- The more I do, the less I accomplish.
|07:33 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned CharlesWebster in post Triton Router - Digital Readout Possible? |
CharlesWebster I see what you mean...
|11:24 PM - JFPNCM mentioned DesertRatTom in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
DesertRatTom Look forward to you...
|09:50 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned DerSchuhmacher in post Harbor Freight question |
...or a chair though. DerSchuhmacher I was lucky in that...
|09:50 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned JOAT in post Harbor Freight question |
JOAT Having a shed for a...
|06:52 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned vindaloo in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
vindaloo Angie, I decided no...
|02:20 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Gaffboat in post Sign of the times. (CNC) |
Gaffboat This is a perfect i...
|12:21 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Lappa in post Triton Router - Digital Readout Possible? |
Lappa Thanks. Very help...
|12:48 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Gjoustra in post Know a good woodworking school or course? |
...w) Good luck! Gjoustra Thank you. That's...
|11:01 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned sunnybob in post Woodworking Terminology |
sunnybob It's a book that li...
|01:59 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned CAD-girl in post Benchmark Twistor |
CAD-girl Welcome to the fu...
|12:21 PM - Herb Stoops mentioned DesertRatTom in post Milling your own lumber |
...and [MENTION=77926]DesertRatToms suggestion of farmi...
|11:55 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned harrysin in post eat your hearts out |
harrysin Reminds me of the c...
|01:37 PM - schnewj mentioned DesertRatTom in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
... likely to leak. DesertRatTom Sarcasm! Parody! ...
|10:32 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned Herb Stoops in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
Herb Stoops Thanks for looking ...
|10:47 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned MT Stringer in post The best Dust Collection deal in the universe is back! |
MT Stringer Where did you get t...
|08:48 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned MT Stringer in post The best Dust Collection deal in the universe is back! |
MT Stringer Where did you get ...
|11:08 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned MEBCWD in post Making a nice living with CNC |
MEBCWD you decline to do w...
|11:08 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Gaffboat in post Making a nice living with CNC |
... it will be you. Gaffboat Oliver was right a...
|10:52 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned tomp913 in post Biscuit Joiner Reviews |
tomp913 Tom, never thought...
|10:35 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned sfchuck in post Vintage Defiance (Stanley) C73 9" plane |
sfchuck Cool that it's fl...
|08:15 PM - RainMan 2.0 quoted DesertRatTom in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
Since I'm still searching for an ...
|12:06 PM - vindaloo quoted DesertRatTom in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
vindaloo Angie, I decided not to...
|10:51 AM - DesertRatTom quoted xplorx4 in post Harbor Freight 6" Rabbeting Jointer |
Great deal Mike, I have seen...
|07:48 PM - jj777746 quoted DesertRatTom in post Use my last word .. first. |
Girlfriend taught me about genero...
|06:32 PM - DesertRatTom quoted Stick486 in post Farewell to All My Router Forum Family |
they live on Harry... RF mak...
|05:41 PM - CharlesWebster quoted DesertRatTom in post Triton Router - Digital Readout Possible? |
Cool. Did you get the one that h...
|04:29 AM - jj777746 quoted DesertRatTom in post Use my last word .. first. |
Points go fast with wives. Wives ...
|09:04 PM - DesertRatTom quoted CharlesWebster in post Triton Router - Digital Readout Possible? |
I ordered the Wixey router depth ga...
|11:58 AM - DesertRatTom quoted DerSchuhmacher in post Woodworking Terminology |
Between the wood filler and now thi...
|09:07 AM - Gjoustra quoted DesertRatTom in post New Member from Michigan |
Glad you could join the fun. It ...
|02:37 PM - DesertRatTom quoted LDBecker in post Triton Router - Digital Readout Possible? |
When you get the Wixey dialed...
|12:47 AM - LDBecker quoted DesertRatTom in post Triton Router - Digital Readout Possible? |
Larry, thanks. I recently got a ...
|06:18 AM - Gene Howe quoted DesertRatTom in post Five word story |
Who wants a slice of... Fresh,...
|06:27 PM - Gene Howe quoted DesertRatTom in post Five word story |
who know what to expect ...whe...
|12:48 PM - DesertRatTom quoted Gjoustra in post Know a good woodworking school or course? |
...w) Good luck! Gjoustra Thank you. That's...
|12:04 PM - JOAT quoted DesertRatTom in post Harbor Freight question |
|11:24 AM - DesertRatTom quoted Stick486 in post 3-1 High Chair, Rocking Horse and Desk |
14 BDF of pine and there''s w...
|11:12 AM - DesertRatTom quoted N'awlins77 in post 3-1 High Chair, Rocking Horse and Desk |
And Mike, I didn't noticed they...
|07:02 AM - hawkeye10 quoted DesertRatTom in post Band saw upgrades; |
Just sold my Delta, which I'd upg...
|04:14 PM - DesertRatTom quoted ckurdziel in post Triton Router - Digital Readout Possible? |
Awesome! Let me know if you ap...