DesertRatTom DesertRatTom is online now
- My Shop
Some detailed information about my workshop.
- Power Tools
- Powermatic 6 inch jointer
Makita 12 inch planer
10 inch Laguna Fusion table saw, model 350, home built outfeed table
10 inch Bosch sliding miter saw
2 Bosch 1617 routers
Triton TRA001 in the table
Rockler Router table--Used to have their FX lift, but retired it because it crept easily.
14 inch Laguna 14/12 band saw
10 inch Rikon band saw
Porter Cable biscuit joiner
PC 7.5 inch circular saw
18 v DeWalt 6.5 inch circular saw
" " jig saw and reciprocating saws
3 18 v DeWalt hand drills, one is an impact driver
Delta drill press (table top model)
Grizzly miter trimmer (horizontal guillotine type)
Compressor and various sized finish nail guns
A number of commercial jigs for gear mentioned
Block plane, #4 and #6 Wood River, router plane, rabbit plane
Always adding new items.
- My Shop
- My shop is a 12x24 insulated shed. Another, smaller shed next to the shop is my office. Recently added a Wifi range extender and a super antenna so I have really fast internet there too.
Wife hired an electrician to put in a 60 amp subpanel which feeds interior wiring of 3 20 amp circuits to each shed. Works shared because I'm only using one at a time..
Presently cooled by a room air conditioner with electric heat in winter, same for new office shed.
Recently replaced my home made dust collector with two Harbor Freight 2 hp units, one for the workshop the other for the garage where i keep my jointer and planer. Both have 30 gal chip collectors.
Space is tight and I've made compact stands on casters for all tools to replace original oversized stands. I'm considering adding an enclosed porch to the sheds so I can have comfortable, shady outdoor space to have an evening toddy with my sweetie.
Have lots of shelving and drawers for accessories. Also use small 10 x 12 inch closeable, stacking plastic tubs to hold things like router bits, measuring devices and other small gear.
I have a serious maple workbench with end vise, to which I added a fold down extension so it doubles the work surface when I need it.
Layout has about 60 percent space for power tools, the rest is counter tops, shelving and work bench. About 250 square ft of floor space, so things are tight. Recently made modifications that opened the shop up nicely, including a shelf hanging down from the roof joints so I can store picture frame material nice and flat.
Keep the jointer and planer in the garage since there isn't enough room for them in the shop.
- Woodworker Information
A few details about myself.
- I work as a consultant, about age 73, started woodworking about 10 years ago, did carpentry for home improvement much of my life. Was a journalist for some years, but became weary of the endless deadlines and having little time to research and write at the level I wished. Was a business writer and editor for 5 years and did hundreds of interviews with major business executives. Great experience, like getting an MBA in real world business. Fell into my present work through a foundation for which I worked as a communications director. Its kind of like missionary work because my clients help a lot of kids have much better lives. Making enough money to afford good tools, probably far beyond my ability to use them fully, but who knows how much longer any one of us will be here, so don't want to waste my time and efforts trying to get cheap tools to work well. Biggest insight about woodworking is that it is all about precision. There is no way to make great stuff in a rush.
- Live in the Victor Valley of Southern California, on the edge of the Mojave Desert.
- I'm a very specialized consultant to eye doctors who work with children, and work with my daughter in that business. Travel a lot. I used to do a lot of landscaping, but slowed down after successful cancer threatment a few years ago. Converted our empty lot to a dryland park with 185 ft. long dry stream bed with an "island on one end reached by a redwood bridge. Went from no trees to a dozen or so more or less native species and hundreds of plants lining about 1,5200 feet of trails winding around and through this garden. Found, lifted and placed about 45 tons of rock for the garden. I can no longer lift many of the boulders.
Belong to a senior group that does presentations, so I do a lot of research and rather fancy PowerPoint presentations. Did some lectures at the local library.
Do a lot of writing, mostly associated with my work. Dabble in photography which was a big part of my life for many years as a reporter and editor on daily papers in Southern California.
I plan to make toys and cabinetry for now, but do a LOT of serious home improvement projects. Getting interested in furniture, but the house is full so I have no pressing needs. Now just at the stage where my efforts turn out quite well every time--at least my wife is impressed. Have been putting together cabinets and bookshelves lately for a living room entertainment and storage area. My wife is a budding artist, so I am also making picture frames these days.
- Favorite Router
- Recently bought and already love my table mount Triton TRA001. The power is awesome and the above table height adjustment is easier on my knees. I use two Bosch 1617s for freehand work since they are much lighter and managable than the Triton. I added a Bosch Colt not long ago.
- Woodworking Experience (Years)
- About 12 years of woodworking, home improvement and reapirs most of my life.
- First Name
- United States
- The more I do, the less I accomplish.
|11:30 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned harrysin in post Thinking About A Dedicated Band Saw... |
...nes are NOT cheap. harrysin the 10 inch Rikon/W...
|11:23 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Gaffboat in post Catapult |
..., where the heck is Gaffboat?
|04:36 PM - JFPNCM mentioned DesertRatTom in post Thinking About A Dedicated Band Saw... |
Jerry Bowen DesertRatTom I have the same 10"...
|11:34 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned Jerry Bowen in post Thinking About A Dedicated Band Saw... |
Jerry Bowen There was another s...
|11:08 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned Gaffboat in post Catapult |
Gaffboat Oliver, this looks...
|07:29 PM - vchiarelli mentioned DesertRatTom in post Last Project for Christmas |
DesertRatTom crate training - I'...
|06:24 PM - MT Stringer mentioned DesertRatTom in post I had fun today |
DesertRatTom - it's this guy. Lat...
|09:15 PM - Herb Stoops mentioned DesertRatTom in post Rockwell Bladerunner X2??? |
DesertRatTom My Wen came with an...
|08:40 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Rainman in post Shop Shuffle |
Rainman2.0, I wish I had a c...
|02:05 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned Tiny in post Need for a Router table |
Tiny The weight of the ...
|12:42 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned MT Stringer in post Grizzly hanging air filters 99.95 |
MT Stringer The filters are a ...
|11:01 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned MYB506 in post Heating the garage... |
...dy for shipping. MYB506 Thanks for the inf...
|07:22 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned jj777746 in post Eye problems again |
jj777746 See the previous p...
|12:38 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Herb Stoops in post Heating the garage... |
... the shop. Herb Herb Stoops I would run it with...
|12:50 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned CharlesWebster in post More sliding fence box joint issues |
... a fools errand? CharlesWebster You may be able to...
|12:16 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned CharlesWebster in post More sliding fence box joint issues |
... for all your help CharlesWebster Rockler had a demo...
|10:24 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned mgmine in post It was going also well until... |
mgmine I agree on using a...
|07:01 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Gaffboat in post 850 kg Scroll Saw Monster. |
...uy one of these for Gaffboat (Oliver). Can you i...
|09:36 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned harrysin in post Fortunately nothing like this happens in sleepy Perth Western Australia |
harrysin Not quite sunrise h...
|03:06 AM - kojot mentioned DesertRatTom in post Little trick with collet. |
...e shown above. DesertRatTom: Sorry but your thin...
|10:51 AM - thomas1389 quoted DesertRatTom in post Help on garage project... |
Actually, I liked having all the ...
|10:09 AM - Bushwhacker quoted DesertRatTom in post Help on garage project... |
Getting ready to install insulate...
|09:46 AM - difalkner quoted DesertRatTom in post Dumpster diving! |
Pretty neat how things work out. ...
|01:11 AM - Daikusan quoted DesertRatTom in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
We have a little snow in the moun...
|09:26 PM - DesertRatTom quoted paduke in post Help on garage project... |
We maintain firewalls in co...
|03:51 PM - Chris Hachet quoted DesertRatTom in post Router dust collection 411 |
router dust collection is pretty ...
|09:38 PM - DesertRatTom quoted Everend in post Location (Who's near Austin TX) |
Tom, I figured you were an A...
|08:35 PM - Everend quoted DesertRatTom in post Location (Who's near Austin TX) |
There are a few safety issues, su...
|06:28 AM - Daikusan quoted DesertRatTom in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
Daikusan rain Man 2.0 This su...
|10:21 PM - DesertRatTom quoted Daikusan in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
...ke that.:surprise: Daikusan rain Man 2.0 Thi...
|08:46 PM - vchiarelli quoted DesertRatTom in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
DaninVan Oh what joys NAFTA hath...
|08:34 PM - DesertRatTom quoted WoodBurningMan in post Japanese Puzzle Box |
Not sure who Oliver is but if he ca...
|01:37 PM - vchiarelli quoted DesertRatTom in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
RainMan 2.0 I could fly Rick dow...
|09:24 AM - Chris Hachet quoted DesertRatTom in post Santa Came a Little Late |
Now you have the saw, there are a...
|03:44 AM - jj777746 quoted DesertRatTom in post Use my last word .. first. |
Precarious perch perturbed by pre...
|11:52 PM - JOAT quoted DesertRatTom in post Lesson Learned |
All my files are backed up on Dro...
|10:07 PM - DesertRatTom quoted JOAT in post Lesson Learned |
Well, my laptop died. Sc...
|05:32 PM - thomas1389 quoted DesertRatTom in post Repeated half lap using a router table |
Amen to that. In fact, that's wh...
|03:55 PM - chessnut2 quoted DesertRatTom in post Presentation |
Bienvenue dans le groupe. Nous s...
|02:22 PM - Everend quoted DesertRatTom in post I'm stuck trying to figure out how to glue this up |
Cutting dados in half inch stock ...