DesertRatTom DesertRatTom is offline
- My Shop
Some detailed information about my workshop.
- Power Tools
- Powermatic 6 inch jointer
Makita 12 inch planer
10 inch Laguna Fusion table saw, model 350, home built outfeed table
10 inch Bosch sliding miter saw
2 Bosch 1617 routers
Triton TRA001 in the table
Rockler Router table--Used to have their FX lift, but retired it because it crept easily.
14 inch Laguna 14/12 band saw
10 inch Rikon band saw
Porter Cable biscuit joiner
PC 7.5 inch circular saw
18 v DeWalt 6.5 inch circular saw
" " jig saw and reciprocating saws
3 18 v DeWalt hand drills, one is an impact driver
Delta drill press (table top model)
Grizzly miter trimmer (horizontal guillotine type)
Compressor and various sized finish nail guns
A number of commercial jigs for gear mentioned
Block plane, #4 and #6 Wood River, router plane, rabbit plane
Always adding new items.
- My Shop
- My shop is a 12x24 insulated shed. Another, smaller shed next to the shop is my office. Recently added a Wifi range extender and a super antenna so I have really fast internet there too.
Wife hired an electrician to put in a 60 amp subpanel which feeds interior wiring of 3 20 amp circuits to each shed. Works shared because I'm only using one at a time..
Presently cooled by a room air conditioner with electric heat in winter, same for new office shed.
Recently replaced my home made dust collector with two Harbor Freight 2 hp units, one for the workshop the other for the garage where i keep my jointer and planer. Both have 30 gal chip collectors.
Space is tight and I've made compact stands on casters for all tools to replace original oversized stands. I'm considering adding an enclosed porch to the sheds so I can have comfortable, shady outdoor space to have an evening toddy with my sweetie.
Have lots of shelving and drawers for accessories. Also use small 10 x 12 inch closeable, stacking plastic tubs to hold things like router bits, measuring devices and other small gear.
I have a serious maple workbench with end vise, to which I added a fold down extension so it doubles the work surface when I need it.
Layout has about 60 percent space for power tools, the rest is counter tops, shelving and work bench. About 250 square ft of floor space, so things are tight. Recently made modifications that opened the shop up nicely, including a shelf hanging down from the roof joints so I can store picture frame material nice and flat.
Keep the jointer and planer in the garage since there isn't enough room for them in the shop.
- Woodworker Information
A few details about myself.
- I work as a consultant, about age 73, started woodworking about 10 years ago, did carpentry for home improvement much of my life. Was a journalist for some years, but became weary of the endless deadlines and having little time to research and write at the level I wished. Was a business writer and editor for 5 years and did hundreds of interviews with major business executives. Great experience, like getting an MBA in real world business. Fell into my present work through a foundation for which I worked as a communications director. Its kind of like missionary work because my clients help a lot of kids have much better lives. Making enough money to afford good tools, probably far beyond my ability to use them fully, but who knows how much longer any one of us will be here, so don't want to waste my time and efforts trying to get cheap tools to work well. Biggest insight about woodworking is that it is all about precision. There is no way to make great stuff in a rush.
- Live in the Victor Valley of Southern California, on the edge of the Mojave Desert.
- I'm a very specialized consultant to eye doctors who work with children, and work with my daughter in that business. Travel a lot. I used to do a lot of landscaping, but slowed down after successful cancer threatment a few years ago. Converted our empty lot to a dryland park with 185 ft. long dry stream bed with an "island on one end reached by a redwood bridge. Went from no trees to a dozen or so more or less native species and hundreds of plants lining about 1,5200 feet of trails winding around and through this garden. Found, lifted and placed about 45 tons of rock for the garden. I can no longer lift many of the boulders.
Belong to a senior group that does presentations, so I do a lot of research and rather fancy PowerPoint presentations. Did some lectures at the local library.
Do a lot of writing, mostly associated with my work. Dabble in photography which was a big part of my life for many years as a reporter and editor on daily papers in Southern California.
I plan to make toys and cabinetry for now, but do a LOT of serious home improvement projects. Getting interested in furniture, but the house is full so I have no pressing needs. Now just at the stage where my efforts turn out quite well every time--at least my wife is impressed. Have been putting together cabinets and bookshelves lately for a living room entertainment and storage area. My wife is a budding artist, so I am also making picture frames these days.
- Favorite Router
- Recently bought and already love my table mount Triton TRA001. The power is awesome and the above table height adjustment is easier on my knees. I use two Bosch 1617s for freehand work since they are much lighter and managable than the Triton. I added a Bosch Colt not long ago.
- Woodworking Experience (Years)
- About 12 years of woodworking, home improvement and reapirs most of my life.
- First Name
- United States
- The more I do, the less I accomplish.
|02:23 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned furboo in post The truth and nothing but the truth |
furboo Rob, looking forwar...
|10:36 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Stick486 in post Bit Care and Lifespan |
...ain... . Thanks Stick486, Not everyone reads ...
|08:00 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Herb Stoops in post Hilarious Headlines |
Herb Stoops Thanks Herb. I like...
|10:45 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned Daikusan in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
...rsal addiction. Daikusan I don't enjoy gree...
|12:05 AM - JFPNCM mentioned DesertRatTom in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
DesertRatTom At the risk of irri...
|11:15 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned furboo in post Any feedback on WEN drill Press? |
furboo I wonder if you kno...
|09:06 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned Knothead47 in post Mayonnaise Question for the Collective... |
Knothead47 Bar Rescue has real...
|03:36 PM - tomp913 mentioned DesertRatTom in post Heavy duty mobile base |
...s). I agree with DesertRatTom that the bigger cast...
|03:02 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned chessnut2 in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
chessnut2 Some time ago I wen...
|07:55 PM - Shop guy mentioned DesertRatTom in post The truth and nothing but the truth |
DesertRatTom: very well said, Tom...
|09:33 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned Larkan in post GIVEAWAY: Triton Dual Mode Precision Plunge Router TRA001 |
...thank you, Kerry Larkan Hi Kerry, Firefox i...
|03:01 PM - Shop guy mentioned DesertRatTom in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
DesertRatTom: I too pay cash for ...
|08:22 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned harrysin in post Hot under the collar |
harrysin White ants? What ...
|12:16 PM - tomp913 mentioned DesertRatTom in post TS Mishap |
DesertRatTom I have two of the...
|11:32 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned bdbailey in post Air Quality - Mask vs. Air Filtration |
bdbailey Almost forgot, Sho...
|11:20 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned bdbailey in post Air Quality - Mask vs. Air Filtration |
bdbailey Budget is always a...
|09:22 PM - DesertRatTom mentioned rbecklund in post Thoughts: Sommerfeld Tongue and groove for cabinets |
rbecklund I like a thinner ...
|10:42 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned harrysin in post Joke a Day |
harrysin I've been telling ...
|09:57 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned Daikusan in post Scraper burnisher? |
Daikusan Curious about the...
|10:05 AM - DesertRatTom mentioned neville9999 in post Scraper burnisher? |
neville9999 One other question...
|04:25 PM - Herb Stoops quoted DesertRatTom in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
This song is soooo erotic. Makes...
|04:06 PM - DesertRatTom quoted DaninVan in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
|04:00 PM - DesertRatTom quoted GerryAttrick in post Wiring Motors |
Now what I would like to know is ...
|01:18 PM - mftha quoted DesertRatTom in post Voting for new Forum Contributors |
What does Bump mean? Bump is w...
|12:10 PM - Herb Stoops quoted DesertRatTom in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
vchiarelli In California the ag...
|12:05 PM - Herb Stoops quoted DesertRatTom in post Wiring Motors |
Anyone got information about usin...
|10:41 AM - schnewj quoted DesertRatTom in post Wiring Motors |
Anyone got information about usin...
|02:20 AM - jj777746 quoted DesertRatTom in post Use my last word .. first. |
Idea men don't use plans. Plans o...
|09:42 PM - Herb Stoops quoted DesertRatTom in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
[MENTION=20211]Gene I've thou...
|04:22 PM - DesertRatTom quoted Cherryville Chuck in post Miter Dado from Rockler |
I've read about using a 90* V groove r...
|02:34 PM - honesttjohn quoted DesertRatTom in post Festool Price Increase |
This is one price increse that wi...
|01:04 PM - Herb Stoops quoted DesertRatTom in post Miter Dado from Rockler |
Pretty nifty gadget. Kind of pri...
|10:36 PM - DesertRatTom quoted MT Stringer in post Voting for new Forum Contributors |
To the top! :surprise: Ah.
|09:01 PM - MT Stringer quoted DesertRatTom in post Voting for new Forum Contributors |
What does Bump mean? To the to...
|11:20 AM - DesertRatTom quoted Gene Howe in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
Watch some US news, Rick. Anyt...
|11:51 AM - RainMan 2.0 quoted DesertRatTom in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
. Our taxes are as high or h...
|11:24 AM - DesertRatTom quoted RainMan 2.0 in post Totally Random Chat Thread |
Well California had that decade ...
|09:35 AM - RainMan 2.0 quoted DesertRatTom in post Use my last word .. first. |
Just waking up. Not sharp yet. ...
|09:31 AM - DesertRatTom quoted RainMan 2.0 in post Use my last word .. first. |
Horses are to unpredictable pers...
|09:24 AM - RainMan 2.0 quoted DesertRatTom in post Use my last word .. first. |
Horses are to unpredictable perso...