I have all the pieces cut out, milled and ready for assembly. It took all weekend but I got it done.
Using a track saw, I cut 2 36 x 60 inch pieces for the top and bottom. One sheet is 19/32 and the other is 3/4 inch BC Sanded Pine.
Next I cut to length the two sides 9 1/2 x 60 inches. Then I cut 2 pieces for the ends and two middle supports. That worked out to be 9 1/2 x 34 5/8 inches. Since the plywood is two different sizes, that means the back side piece will be slightly narrower than the 3/4 inch thick front piece. That's OK by me.
Saturday, I made a template out of mdf, and sure enough, I screwed it up. After all the careful planning and lay out, when it came time to cut it with the router, I cut the rounded portion square. That was a temporary set back that added two hours to the day!
To repair it, I fabricated a couple of corner pieces with the correct radius and edge glued them in place. And they are still stuck.
That brings us to today. With the template in place (via screws), I commenced to cutting out the waste portion of the openings by using a 1/4 inch spiral upcut router bit and a 1/2 inch guide bushing. Obviously, that leaves a lip so I set up my trusty old 80's model 1 HP Craftsman router with a flush trim bit and cut the lip away. That makes two routers in action.
You might notice some dog holes in the sides and ends. There is room so I set up the templates and cut 'em out with a 1/2 inch spiral upcut bit in a 3/4 inch bushing. That made for a snug fitting 3/4 inch hole. Three routers in action!
With all the holes and openings cut, I rounded all the edges slightly with a 1/8th inch round-over bit in the little DeWalt router. Four routers in action today!
I drilled pocket holes in all of the pieces so I can attach them to the bottom. I have some 1 1/2 inch trim screws that I will use along with gobs of glue to assemble the frame and attach the top.
Note that I didn't cut any material from the ends or the inside supports. I don't see any need. And I hope to work in a kraft paper roll rack on one end and maybe reattach the table extension on the other. I will have to wait and see how that works out.
Now with all that said, I am having a blast building the table of my dreams...many dreams!
I hope to start assembly tomorrow.
So, with no little helpers around today, it was just me 'n the boys - all four of them!