This job is finished!
Today was installation day, and all went well. Mom and step dad were delighted. We haven't heard from Haley yet but I think she will be a happy 12 y/o-soon-to-be-13.
Let me see if I can bring everyone up to date.
I built the cabinets from 3/4 inch paint grade plywood. They went together nice, easy and square. That's always a good thing. The face frame and drawer fronts are made from poplar. The drawer boxes are 1/2 inch Baltic birch plywood.
The drawer slides are standard epoxy slides - nothing fancy here.
Like mentioned before, the top is a hollow core door that I cut to fit (and it did!!!) from my measurements. Slid right in. I bought a piece of trim at the big box store and cut it down leaving a slight lip that overhangs the cabinets. It was attached with glue and 23ga pin nails.
Oh, yeah, I forgot. We had to paint them white.
Actually, I bought a new airless sprayer. It is a Graco LTS15. Man it worked like a champ. The paint is Sherwin Williams Pro Classic water base paint in White...very white. Now that I have a new sprayer, I can attack the storage building and replace the facia boards and then paint it.
Somehow I managed to skip over the cabinet construction. Sorry about that.