Another Shop Notes Router Lift - Router Forums

 16Likes
  • 9 Post By gtsharp
  • 3 Post By Herb Stoops
  • 1 Post By gtsharp
  • 3 Post By bryansong
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
gtsharp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Country: United States
First Name: Gale
Posts: 46
 
Another Shop Notes Router Lift

Just recently built this also. Pretty straight forward design. Had a lotta fun doin' it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f-RL-09.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	623.9 KB
ID:	259098  

Click image for larger version

Name:	f-RL-05.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	560.8 KB
ID:	259106  

Click image for larger version

Name:	f-RL-08.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	673.9 KB
ID:	259114  

gtsharp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:58 PM
Registered User
 
Herb Stoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Country: United States
First Name: Herb
Posts: 4,502
 
Good job, Gale, those are becoming pretty popular these days. Have to say that it is a simple solution to a router lift. Keep us up to date on how you like it.
What did you make the plate out of? and did you use the 1/2" 13tpi threaded rod?
Herb
neville9999, ksidwy and gtsharp like this.
Herb Stoops is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
gtsharp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Country: United States
First Name: Gale
Posts: 46
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Stoops View Post
Good job, Gale, those are becoming pretty popular these days. Have to say that it is a simple solution to a router lift. Keep us up to date on how you like it.
What did you make the plate out of? and did you use the 1/2" 13tpi threaded rod?
Herb
Thanks Herb!
I already had a MLCS Router/TS extension which has it's own sizing so went with their aluminum pro plate. I had their plastic one for a few years but it went saggy on me.
I used the 3/4-16 threaded rod. There was a place in town that stocked a 3 footer for less than $14 so went with it.
Have only tested so far but seems real stable and minimal vibration. I have some bf of some trim to make here shortly so will get back on the functionality after that.
Thanks for the encouragement!!!
Herb Stoops likes this.

"Creativity is contagious, pass it on." A.E.
gtsharp is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:33 PM
Registered User
 
RainMan 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Country: Canada
First Name: Rick
Posts: 9,664
 
Impressive work Gale . Your going to fit right in here

I don't actaully know anything about CNC router tables , but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night
RainMan 2.0 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:25 AM
Registered User
 
bryansong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Country: United States
First Name: bryan
Posts: 520
 
Very nice work Gale. I like the crank, how well does it work?

Bryan
bryansong is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
gtsharp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Country: United States
First Name: Gale
Posts: 46
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansong View Post
Very nice work Gale. I like the crank, how well does it work?

Bryan
Thanks Bryan!
The 3/8's drive speed wrench works really good, better than a ratchet for me. It hardly got used for anything else lately, so now has a new home. When I first assembled it, it was very stiff to move up & down. One reason being the largest hole I was able to drill in the plate for the socket to fit the filed nut on the rod was 3/4". And with the filed nut (1/2") not being perfectly centered the socket would rub significantly. Reamed that on out to about 13/16's and that made a vast improvement. I also coated the rod with a spray can of lithium grease, that was a significant improvement also. It now goes up & down much easier. I have the rail adjustment set pretty tight and had pre-coated all those surfaces with Johnson Paste Wax. It's a bit of an effort to move it, more than I imagined but moves with no binding or hanging up. I've never had access to a lift before so expectations are minimal. I'm sure I'll be tweeking it as I run projects thru it. I'll have more to report in a couple weeks.

"Creativity is contagious, pass it on." A.E.
gtsharp is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:59 AM
Registered User
 
bryansong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Country: United States
First Name: bryan
Posts: 520
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsharp View Post
Thanks Bryan!
The 3/8's drive speed wrench works really good, better than a ratchet for me. It hardly got used for anything else lately, so now has a new home. When I first assembled it, it was very stiff to move up & down. One reason being the largest hole I was able to drill in the plate for the socket to fit the filed nut on the rod was 3/4". And with the filed nut (1/2") not being perfectly centered the socket would rub significantly. Reamed that on out to about 13/16's and that made a vast improvement. I also coated the rod with a spray can of lithium grease, that was a significant improvement also. It now goes up & down much easier. I have the rail adjustment set pretty tight and had pre-coated all those surfaces with Johnson Paste Wax. It's a bit of an effort to move it, more than I imagined but moves with no binding or hanging up. I've never had access to a lift before so expectations are minimal. I'm sure I'll be tweeking it as I run projects thru it. I'll have more to report in a couple weeks.

Gale,

Let us know how it breaks in if you would, I'd be interested. I have a copy of that from Shop Notes and am planning one day to build one. I've been wanting to put a table on my table saw and I think this would be a good project.

Bryan
bryansong is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 11:48 AM
Registered User
 
TenGees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: Canada
First Name: Paul
Posts: 550
 
Looks like a very nice setup Gale. I have a similar saw and there's a lot of space to the right of the table for a project like yours. I was wondering if the router table is just held by the rails of the saw, or if you had to add something for support.
TenGees is online now  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
gtsharp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Country: United States
First Name: Gale
Posts: 46
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenGees View Post
Looks like a very nice setup Gale. I have a similar saw and there's a lot of space to the right of the table for a project like yours. I was wondering if the router table is just held by the rails of the saw, or if you had to add something for support.
Thanks!
Yes the table is held with 2 bolts per side on the front & rear rail. I got the table extension about 10 years ago from MLCS as it was fabbed to fit, width wise my Ridgid TS3650. It is 1.5" thick and has a box frame around the bottom perimeter, that is 1"x2" lumber. The attachment bolts have pockets in the bottom of the table top. Pretty straight forward design and was easy to install. Recently I cut those black plywood braces from some junk wood and cut them to just wedge in place. I'll eventually use them as patterns and fab some outta 1x3's. Before that I didn't have any bracing and the saw rails have stayed true.

Gale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f-RT01.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	886.3 KB
ID:	259338  

Click image for larger version

Name:	f-RT02.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	842.0 KB
ID:	259346  


"Creativity is contagious, pass it on." A.E.
gtsharp is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 06:36 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
First Name: N/a
Posts: 1
 
Thanks for sharing. I too have been considering building this lift for quite a while now (ever since I received that issue of Shop Notes). I have a RouterRaizer connected to a PC690 router that no matter how I have tried, it has never been as smooth of operation that I would like. It is a common problem with the PC690 connected to a RouterRaizer. I can't see spending +$350 for a new lift. What has keep me from building the ShopNotes version is I have always wondered how well it will work after it gets broken in. I would be very interested in knowing your experience with your new lift.

Thanks again for sharing!
bob.gellenbeck is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Home built Router Lift for Dewalt DW621 router Tinman Carving Table-mounted Routing 9 10-07-2015 08:15 AM
shop notes 121 router lift plans GUNNYSKI Introductions 7 04-02-2014 07:55 PM
Intro and question john spies Introductions 19 02-28-2014 12:55 PM
router tables / shop remodeling kywoodchopper Show N' Tell 11 02-04-2014 08:59 PM
Shop made router lift Noob Table-mounted Routing 7 01-19-2010 01:02 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome