Router Forums banner

Jointer Recommendations

19K views 49 replies 19 participants last post by  bobj3 
#1 ·
I got rid of the small old 4" jointer I had and hoped I could do most of my jointing on the router table. That isn't working out so I am looking for a new 6" jointer. Of course I am keeping my eye on Kijiji and Craiglist for something used, in excellent condition and at a jaw dropping price. A new one is a possibility if the price is right. So any recommendations you can give me would be a great help even in looking for used ones. I do have some criteria as follows:
It must be available in Canada. The cross border shipping costs will not work on a huge item like this.
The price (as delegated by the spouse) should not exceed 500.00 CDN.
It must be at least 6", but not some monster cabinet model, I am still working out of my now very crowded garage. If there is actually a decent bench model I would consider it.
It must be 110/120V.
Some of the models I have been looking at are the Ridgid JP0610, Craftex CT086 and the General 80-075. I also considered the Sears Craftsman 6 1/8" benchtop model, but I am open to all suggestions.
Thanks!

#4 ·
Deb, i would think you could order it from home depot. i wanted a delta 8 inch grinder. hd didnt sell them. lowes does. i had store credit at hd, so i called their corporate office. i had bought a lot from them over the last few years. within 2 days they ordered one from delta and it was supposed to be about 40 dollars more than lowes, i told the manager i could buy it at lowes for 129 and he met the price.

#5 ·
Levon I wish someone other then HD sold the Ridgid jointer in Canada. Some competition would be good. I did find someone inquiring about it on the HD site and was advised to order it at the Pro desk at the local HD store. Maybe I'll give that a try.
Thanks.

#6 ·
Deb, try that and if they cant help you talk to a store manager at customer service. it cant hurt, right? if you can order it, it probably wont take too long to get it. being on the internet more and more, i have gotten use to waiting on orders. the only thing i hate is when they ship things by U.S. mail. they are so sloooooow!!!! lol

#7 ·
Good morning, I picked up the Delta J (something) 360 It is a 6". I got it at a Rockler sale fro 200.00. I can say that I like it so far. I have learned it is real easy to mess up cutters, I see results of very small debris in the finished products so I will be very careful of what I run though it. It is the only jointer I have ever owned so not way to compare. I was looking at the Ridgid before the sale ever came up, but for 300.00 I picked up the jointer and a planner. These will do till things change.

#13 · (Edited)
They had a Saturday store sale, each store had a limited number to sell. I could not be there in line at 5AM, as I knew one would have to be to have a chance to get one, because I had a mens Bible study in my home at 7AM. So my wife volunteered to go and was number 2 in line!! The planner is a Wilton 12.5" and went with stand for 100.00. No I have never heard of them, but seems they are made by Jet and there is one just like it sold by Grizzly. At any rate I will one day upgrade but for now they do just fine.

Looks like Rob got a good deal to get himself started at least started also.

#12 ·
I recently purchased a 6" table top joiner and 12-1/2 planer from Sunhill Machinery. Both are working fine (and loud). Run a lot of pine, poplar, cherry, maple and white oak through. The most has been white oak if you count number of passes since I would have it backed off to 1/32" type passes for that stuff. Pine is the only problem wood because of the pitch. Have to stop, unplug the power and clean everything with that junk. Both are two knife, straight cutter designs so there are tool marks to clean up. Getting better at putting a burr on the scraper too. :)

Joiner was $99 and planer was $250 (US) plus shipping. I believe they are shipping out of California. My shipping total was around $70 due to weight. Obviously, YMMV for shipping into Canada.

#15 · (Edited)
Hi Deb (Dep)

I know this is long shot..
But you may want to call Grizzly, they have
Scratch and Dent items all the time, be sure to ask about any returned items or rebuilt items.

http://grizzly.com/outlet/

I know the pond is a big deal,,,,but you must know someone on this side of the pond, that you could drop ship the item to and then take a Sat. trip and go pick it up on this side of the pond..you can get some great deals by making some phone calls.. :)

We have two Mike's that are right next to the pond so to speak and I sure they would be more than happy to let you use the address to drop ship to..

======

#16 ·
Bobj3 the drop shipping would work but it would still have to be a heck of a deal because I would still have to pay the damn Canadian duties and taxes at the border. :mad: It's kind of hard to sneak something the size of a jointer across the border. :eek:
I don't rule out cross border shopping. If it's the right price I'm all for it.
I checked your grizzley link, nothing in my price range there atm.
I am not in a rush really, but I do love a good bargain!:)
I'm going to Home Depot next week (I live out of town). I'll see what they say about the Ridgid model. Still shopping in the mean time.
I'm kicking my butt now because they had the General 80-075 at the woodshow last weekend for 399.00. :'( WHY didn't I buy it???? It's 599.00 at the General outlet in town.:eek:

#18 · (Edited)
Deb you may want to check out this page, just in case http://grizzly.com/outlet/12-1-2-Portable-Planer/G0663 I don't know if it would be of interest to you, but just in case it is.

By the way BJ I just happened to see the above page when I went looking for a planer like mine but a different color, if you know what I mean. seems they are all made in the same place.

#19 ·
hello Deb,

whatever you do, let us know what you decide and send us some pictures of the new joiner.

#20 ·
Bobj3 LOL at your "edited" post. Thanks for not telling me:D. (BTW I am starting to miss the Dep thing;))
There is also still the exchange rate to consider. 469.00 US works out to 588.00 CDN. Add the pick up, possible associated border costs... well I am headed for divorce...lol. I'm too old to be a divorced wannabe woodshopaholic.:p
But I am going back into town next week and we have another tool supplier that doesn't like to list their prices online (Federated Tool) and I just may bring in some of these ads and see if I can swing a deal.
Jerry thanks for the tip on the planer but I do have one already. One of those few tools I bought new. I still think you got a better deal though.

#25 ·
Hi Deb ( Dep )

I know you will get a great deal :),,, you have the drive, and you don't want to tick off your mate it takes two now days to make it all the way down the road.. :) :)

Yep, I did edit the post :) I don't want to see you get in a jam over something I said... :) we all need to play by the rules but I do bend them just a little bit sometimes. :) and I do from time to time go over 70 miles per.hour.. by I must say I have not got a ticket in 29 years of driving .. :)

==========

#23 ·
Deb, I have no idea what the economy is like in Canada. But if it's anything like here in the US, I would keep watching Craigslist. I'm seeing more and more great deals from poor souls that need money more than tools(we might all be there soon). I recently passed on a 6" Powermatic with mobile base for $300. And right now I now where a basicly new Grizzly 452Z with spiral cutterhead is for $350.I would love to have one but I just don't have room in my garage. Plus I can do just about anything a jointer can do with other tools.

#28 ·
Hi Deb. As someone who shops across the border frequently, things have loosened up quite a bit. SWMBO and I have come back quite regularly with $300+ in groceries and sewing supplies (she's a quilt addict) and been told "Have a nice day". Of course, I've been sent in to pay for $50 as well so it is truly a crap shoot. There is not much in the way of duty any more, just tax... can't forget the governments pound of flesh now, can we?

Brian

#30 ·
Guys thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I am working all weekend again so just checking in real quick.
I keep hoping something awesome will turn up on the classifieds sites. The price range of the bench models is right, but I really want something I won't have to replace.
Bob I have one of those #7's but I need a lot more practice to be proficient with it.
Also for the cross border shopping, - I am one of "those" people who always gets pulled in. I don't think I look suspicious. Maybe I try too hard...lol.
I hate buying some guys tools cause he lost a job. I know how I would feel if it were me. I like to find the ones that say "retiring and moving to an apartment" or "upgrading".
I have been struggling a bit with the bandsaw, getting it tuned up. But I will post some pics soon, and hopefully ones with a new jointer. :)

#31 ·
Freebie

I've got a Craftsman 6" (pictured below). I got this one at the best price possible, FREE. It's not the prettiest, but it works. While deer hunting, I found this laying in a ravine (minus the mobile base) in the woods. I have no earthly idea why someone would throw away a perfectly good jointer. Needless to say that ended the deer hunt for me that day. I went and got my son and loaded it in my country Cadillac. Took it into the shop, plugged it in and it ran. It had a ticking noise as it ran. I unplugged it and rotated the cutters by hand and found one of the blades were out of adjustment and hitting the table top. Readjusted the blade and it ran smooth as a top. I have since sharpened the blades and use it quite regularly.

The mobile base is from Harbor Freight (similar to photo 2) and the wood is made from a piece of scrap laminated ceiling joist, cut to fit the mobile base.

All in all, I've got maybe $40 (US) in the whole thing. I'll take some better pics and post 'em soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.