Router Forums banner

Simple Name in Oak

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  cocobolo1 
#1 ·
Menard's had a sale on 1 x 6 x 4' glued up oak boards for under $5. I got 40 of them. Cut in half and glued together - this didn't come out all bad. Price was right.

HJ

See less See more
#3 ·
These are being discontinued- - I'm watching the supply number on the net - - when it gets down below 100 I'm going to go in and ask the manager for a price to clean em all out -- there are several with split ends that have been put aside, but those few inches can be cut off. May or may not work.

HJ

Reactions: Frankj3
#8 · (Edited)
I tried using the spray and sand on oak once before and it was a PAIN. Oak is too porous and rough and doesn't all sand out clean unless you go down really deep. Doesn't take much to paint the letters semi careful and then just use the orbital sander and/or a dust mop to clean it all up. Uses less paint this way, too. And doesn't take much time, unless you carve half a book like Edison did.

HJ

#13 ·
John, I have never used spray on sanding sealer. I brush it on when I get my wood. When it dries I layout the sign, carve, paint, sand and finish. When you sand the face you are removing the sealer. At least it works that way for me.

#12 ·
Didn't come out too bad??? I'll say...that's first class.

I bet the manager will cut you a deal on the rest of the boards, why wouldn't he? One transaction, gone. He should be happy.

I bought a stack of sandpaper 3 feet high in '90. Got the whole shebang at .15 cents on the dollar. Down to my last couple hundred sheets or so.

#15 ·
Was that freehand?

Of Course not. I can barely write my name so its legible or draw a straight line with a ruler, let alone do something like this. Thanx for the compliment.

HJ

Reactions: Frankj3
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.