Router Forums banner

Nailbender5

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Old_Chipper 
#1 ·
hello all im looking for the best way to cut a pattern with a router in the stock of a gun and then insert a inlay into the router cut

#2 ·
#4 ·
Greetings Steve and welcome to the router forums.

#6 ·
Thank you all for the post
My problem still exist tho, the inlay id like to do is 1/4" wide and it flows with the out line of the gun stock. I have some ides floating around in my head but really not sure it they will work and before i try it on the gun stock want to make sure it will work.
thank you again all for any imput you may have
Steve

#7 ·
Welcome,
Not sure this the best way, But I did a few inlays "Gold & silver" back when I was a Licensed gunsmith, I had a dremel, with a little router attachment. I would put masking tape on the stock, (forearm, in my case) transfer the pattern to the masking tape. I set the depth of cut a few thousands less the the gold inlay. Using one of those bench mounted lights with 20x lens, I carefully routed out the inlay. I had a little wooden mallet, that I hammered the gold or silver into the groove, then I would scrape the work to remove any high spots. Then sand it smooth, then buff it out. Was a slow process, but it worked. I had a set of special tools for the scrolls and light lines. My hands aren't that steady any more. Suggest you buy some scrap walnut and practice a while. It's not as hard to master as engraving, but harder than checkering.
Good luck!
Harry, TX

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.