Router Forums banner

Triton routers

6K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  Admin 
#1 ·
What happened to Triton routers? I see a website and they seem to still be in business but they seem to ahve fallen off of everyone's radar.

At one point they seemed like the router everyone wanted to have, sort of like the Scandinavian work benches in the 70's and 80's or Lie Nielsen hand tools about 5 years ago...and then they just kind of disappeared.

Anyone have recent experience with them?

#2 ·
I'm sure if you search for triton on this site you'll find plenty of recent threads discussing them. They are still around and they are still coming out with new tools. A HUGE hand-held planer, and a new work centre with interchangeable table tops are two I've seen them advertising recently. So they are still coming up with things that are a bit different and original. I guess their routers have been around for a while now and there is less new to say about them.

#3 ·

Attachments

#4 ·
I agree. They come up quite regularly. Most new threads seem to be from people wanting to know if current owners are still recommending them for table use and the answer to that always is yes.

#5 ·
TRA001 can't be beat for table use. Too heavy for me to use freehand. I have Bosch 1617s for handheld use. Triton had some distributer problems in the past, but that is resolved now. If you use a TRA001 (3 1/4 hp) in the table, be sure to get a mounting plate for it with a twist lock insert. Adjusting height from the top makes life a little easier for us "mature" folks. My knees give out kneeling down these days.

Get matched bit sets for table use and make your life easier. Freud and Sommerfeld both offer matched sets in half inch shanks. If you have questions about their use, look up Sommerfeld videos on youtube. Mark Sommerfeld is a skilled cabinet maker and the way he uses the router is masterful, and he uses, and even sells the Triton.

I am not familiar with the smaller Triton routers since Bosch 1617s are tops to me in the 2 1/4 hp models.

Rockler and several other woodworking stores carry Triton now, and you can order them on Amazon. Watch for a good price, about $270 US. Maybe more answer than you need, but helpful I hope.

#7 ·
The Sommerfield link is worth the price of admission in reading your reply-and no, it was not overly long.

Wanting a heavy duty router I can table mount without having to ahve a second router lift. that way i can do Cope and stick work without having to change bits and setups.

Thanks for your response!

#8 ·
That said about triton routers, Lie-Nielsen and Sjoberg are still fairly popular as well. Lie-Nielsen has been doing well with doing their Hand Tool Events as well as being at some of the shows like Woodworking in America and the every-other year Handworks. Sjoberg has sponsored at least one you-tuber I know of, and likely others, and I believe Woodcraft still carries them.

With-in certain communities like this forum, I can see where a section of tools can get real popular for a period of time, and the diminish, at least until someone brings up a question about them. The reason being, is you do get to a saturation point in that community where most everyone who is going to buy a Lie-Nielsen block plane has one, so it isn't brought up.

#11 ·
I can't add much more than what has already been said...

Mine is mounted in a Bosch 1181 table (Craftsman) at an angle so that the coarse and fine adjustment are real handy for my left hand. Have not missed the above table adjustment but it's in the future.

It's amazing to see it cut a raised panel without a murmur...

One owner I know free hands raised panels with it...

Dust collection is excellent with fence installed shop vac and dust deputy. The base dust port works great with the Bosch vac hose for those pesky dado/groove cuts.

#12 ·
Several WEB sites have them on sale, I just purchased one from Rockler last month. I do have a question for people that have a Triton router in an enclosed router table with dust collection. Do you remove the plastic shields or do you leave them on? Removing them makes sense to me because with them on the some dust will remain inside the plastic shields.

CAD-Man

#13 ·
I left the plastic shields intact on my MF001 Triton Router when I installed in in my shop-built table. I have had no problems with dust being trapped by the plastic shields.

I mounted my router so that the spindle lock lever and power switch are facing the front of the cabinet for easy access. This however puts the lift crank too close to the fence for easy operation, so I had to extend the crank shaft.

Other than that I made no changes to the router and have used it extensively since completing the table last spring.

#18 ·
Ditto what harry said. My biggest critique of my Tritons was the shaft lock/ switch lockout safety feature. It was a PITA until I bought muscle chucks for them. They make bit changes a breeze Unplug router raise router the muscle chuck protrudes enough to change bits before the shaft lock

#19 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.