Router Forums banner

Router Table Search

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Bigfootjim 
#1 ·
Hello Fellow Router Enthusiasts,
I'm in the process of looking for a new router table to replace my old homebuilt one. I live in rural northern British Columbia (mile zero of the Alaska Highway) so my shopping choices are pretty much limited to internet searches. My use of routers is such that I own four of them but I'm not to the point that I always choose them as my first tool choice so I have more to learn but I don't need a professional type table yet. I've looked at most of the traditional ones like Rockler, Veritas, Bosch, Woodpecker, MCLS, etc. but in the process of learning what's out there I came across one called the RT-1000XL and I'm wondering if any of you could enlighten me on that one. The cabinet looks like a commonly used one but I have no knowledge of whether their table and accessories are reasonably good and whether they run a trustworthy operation. The company is called RT-1000 Woodworkings in Thorburn, Nova Scotia. Any advice you could provide me with would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Bigfootjim

#2 ·
#5 ·
Hello Jim, Welcome! Have you looked at the oak park? The table is a no frills table, and you can build the stand, and have a great table. It is what the Router Workshop has, and you will have a great system. Oak Park Enterprises Ltd. - Router Table, Router, Router Bits, Router Jigs, Router Accessories: Home

I will have to second this one. :) The OP table follows the K.I.S.S. rule. I've had mine for a good number of yrs now, works just it did from day one when I received it. Sometimes, simple is better. :)

#4 ·
Hi Jim, welcome to the forums.:)
I don't think I have seen that particular table mentioned before so I did a Google and checked it out. IMHO, If you insist on buying vs. making, you could do a whole lot worse for your money. It's a nice looking table and, If their description is accurate, should make for a nice table. The only shortfall I could see is that their plate doesn't come with nor seems to provide for use of replaceable inserts to adjust the hole size. That's not of large consequence as the plate is considered an "accessory" and not included with the table. Thats not really a big issue anyway, their plate is about as cheap as any around and you would just need to order one with the largest hole available, put a rabbet around it and make your own inserts.
Good Luck in whatever you decide....:):)

#6 ·
Jim, thanks for your reply and for the thumbnails of other members' tables. They're very helpful. I am still considering building a custom one but the RT1000XL looks pretty interesting for the price . I also have to say that I've only been in the forum for a week or so and I'm already thoroughly impressed! Everybody seems to be willing to help everyone out. By the way,I love your pet following you around in your picture. Down here in Dawson Creek we only pal around with dogs! I also love your part of the country. We've been there a half dozen times. Thanks again.

Jim

#10 ·
By the way,I love your pet following you around in your picture. Down here in Dawson Creek we only pal around with dogs! I also love your part of the country. We've been there a half dozen times. Thanks again.

Jim
Yea.. they make good "two-legged rat" protection.. you rarely need your "equalizer". They have 2 downsides though. Buying 50# of Purina Bear Chow a day and hiring "poop scoopers" gets expensive. Great home security though! :D

#8 ·
Thanks for taking the time to look at the table I asked about, John. I also appreciate your advice on the insert. Your forum membership is sure a helpful bunch of people. I'm new to it and am duly impressed. I expect to learn lots from them. Thank you.

Jim

#11 ·
Jim, your pet stuff makes sense to me, especially the probable need for a front end loader scooper! In October I put a trail camera on our property and I got 350 photos of elk, moose, deer, coyotes, and a sow grizzly with three 2 year old cubs plus a neighbor hunting on our posted land. I also ended up ordering the RT1000XL router table with its new aluminum insert and reduceable sub-inserts. In my research I found that the company also sells on Ebay and has a 100% positive rating with 945 customers and that sold me so it looks like I'll be able to get to using it within two weeks at less cost than I could build it myself. Oh, and could you cut the crap with this cold stuff you're sending us? We're not down to -40 yet but we will be soon. Cheers.

Jim

#12 ·
Hi Jim I,m in Peace River on the other side of border, cold here also. I bought the same table off Ebay also without any problems. Even bought feather boards off the guy. Haven't really used it alot but its heavy and sturdy. You will need a mobile base to sit it on if you want to move it around.

#13 ·
Hi Tim,
I checked on Ebay too and 945 positive ratings shouldn't be wrong so I ordered one after a 15 minute phone call to Joe, the owner. He seems really proud of the table. I'm sure glad to hear that you seem satisfied too. Like many folks, I'm still a little leary of dealing through Ebay even though I've only had one bad experience in ten or fifteen transactions through them (but I didn't lose any money in the end). I'm looking forward to trying the table and it is sure comforting to hear that nobody seems to be saying it's a scam or something. Thanks for taking the time to let me know that all went well with your purchase...and break out your earmuffs for the next couple of weeks. Cheers.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.