Router Forums banner

Dovetail dado instead of t-track

18K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  DaninVan 
#1 ·
Hi everyone.
For the life of me I can't find a source of t-track here in Croatia and importing it is out of the question considering postage and import taxes. The price becomes simply too high. I think Croatia is currently the highest taxed Country in all of Europe.
Anyway, has anyone here ever tried using a dovetail dado(think that's what you'd call it) instead of t-track ?
I figure if it was in hardwood it might work ok for stop blocks and such.
My other idea is to get aluminium box section and mill out a slot down the middle to make basic t-track. I guess it might be possible with a carbide bit.

Open to all suggestions.

#32 ·
Thanks for the tip. There is actually a B&D Dewalt specialty shop here so that model may even be available to me. I've been using my green Bosch in the last few days and I can see that more power would be nice too.
If anyone is interested, I used the same method to create mortices as I used to make the alumium T track in this thread. Worked perfectly. These cheap workmate knock offs are pretty handy things.

#33 ·
A long shot, but road signs in New Zealand have aluminium 'C' section bars on the back into which the support strapping is bolted to affix the signs to posts. We have trouble sourcing purpose built 'T' Track in New Zealand also, but I located the sign makers and purchased a few metres of the 'C' section - ideal for 'T' track. I hope Croatia makes its signs the same way!!
Cheers, Warwick.

#36 ·
Use a table saw

I did something similar but I used my table saw instead of a router. Select a blade with zero rake on the teeth so it is less likely to grab the metal for less tear out. A regular blade will work OK though.

An up cut or down cut router blade would work better than a straight cut because it adds some shear to the cutting action. Helps to clear the aluminum from the bit. I still prefer the table saw.

#37 ·
Welcome to the forum, Lee.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.