Router Forums banner

Taurus Compressor

7K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Cherryville Chuck 
#1 ·
Spotted a 2 HP Taurus Compressor at Aldi today and am curious if anyone can offer any comment on the brand and reliability? :happy:
I guess for $129 AUD it is hard to go wrong?
Anyone got one or have a comment.....thanks for taking the time to read and comment.
Cheers Kerry
:unsure:

#3 ·
Kerry; the very last thing that should be considered is the price. You won't be buying another one for a very long time...unless the first one is a big mistake.
Please read the info here:
Buying
before making a buying decision. Compressors are like boats; everyone wants a bigger one.
I've had my Campbell Hausfield for something like 25 years. It's the most powerful I can run on a 15A/120V cct., and even then it pops breakers occasionally. I have to very carefully consider tool choices for it as continuous running of things like sanders and grinders consume huge quantities of air, more than a 15A/120v compressor can supply continuously! If you want it for finish nailing only than you're good.
Cheers,
-Dan

#4 ·
Great feed back thanks Dan. I was looking to get it simply to use for spraying but am now unsure if it would do a good enough job. Mainly just small stuff, toys and other small items, what do you think?

#5 ·
Kerry, I have a Porter Cable that serves me well. It cost about $150 US new. I use it for spray painting, nailing, and work on vehicles. Seems to me that for a few $$ more you can get a new one.

#9 ·
Mark welcome to the forum. Our admin has ased for us not to post email addresses for security reasons, and probably for liability reasons for themselves. People can post replies here on the forum and we have a secure Private Messaging system to use once you get to 10 posts. Have you tried finding them on the net?
Another option is to find a company that specializes in air compressor parts and email them about it.

Kerry, I bought a cheap Campbell Hausfeld spray gun when I didn't know any better that was a bleeder type. Big mistake as the bleeder type always has air going through it so it used a lot of air. I have a 220 volt 3hp home built system and it had trouble keeping up. You have to watch when you buy a spray gun as to how many cfm it uses, in fact, you have to watch for all the air tools you buy. Some use too much air for a small portable compressor. Any type nailer is fine, right from 23 gauge pinners up to framing nailers. Small compressors easily run air brushes and touch up guns for painting. A full sized Devilbiss or Binks gun could be iffy.

If you are mainly looking to paint then I would check into an HVLP gun and turbine system. They do the best job with the least amount of overspray. The Fuji system is a bit pricey but I think I've seen the Earlex one recommended here and it's a lot less. The HVLP system uses a very large volume of air at only about 5 psi to paint with. The difference is paint being shot at something or floating it from the gun to your work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.