Router Forums banner

Using Collet Adapters - Advice please

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  harrysin 
#1 ·
Hey Friends,

I'm using a Triton 3-1/4 HP TRA001 router mounted in a router table. Using the Leigh 1/2" to 8mm collet reducer to use the 8mm Leigh router bits that work with the Leigh RTJ400 dovetail jig.

Using this setup today, it apparently slipped slightly down during use and cut a lower height than intended. No harm done, as I caught it time, but now I'm wondering if there's some trick to using collet reducers? I thought I had it tightened down with plenty of force, but I don't want to over-tighten either.

Do any of you have some tips in using using collet reducers? Is there a trick in aligning the adapter slot openings to the main collet openings? Also, I presume the adapter should seat all the way down onto the main collet (there's a ridge/collar on the reducer top end) or should it sit slightly above the main collet?

Also, if any of you have a good source for the standard Triton 8mm collet that would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dave

See less See more
#2 ·
I've had the same problem. I think the combination of bit/reducer/collet getting too hot, expanding, and coming loose. I dealt with it by letting it cool down every few minutes.

In woodworking there is always more then one way to accomplish something.

#3 ·
Good advice. I also just received this from Leigh:

"The collet reducer has several shallow machined slots and one slot that goes completely through. The only “trick” is to line up the through slot on the collet reducer with a similar slot on the router collet. Most collets have a series of slots to allow compression. The through slot on the collet reducer should be lined up with the largest slot."

I'll try this setup next time I get back out to my project.

Thanks,
Dave

#8 ·
I know that PhilP from the UK used to say that he had poor luck using bushings and yet others, including myself, have had none. Phil is a contractor and I'm a long time DIYer. The difference would be that he might run the setup for hours and I would likely be minutes. As suggested the problem might be heat. If you run it more than a few minutes then maybe try tightening it up again once it starts getting hot. This is always why I thought Phil's experience was different than mine.

Reactions: Job and Knock
#10 ·
A Musclechuck and their 8mm reducer are, in my opinion the way to go. The Musclechuck has a grip several times stronger than a standard collet chuck and only requires a 1/2 turn of a 4mm Allen key to lock solid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.