Router Forums banner

Holmby's Tung Finish

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  RainMan 2.0 
#1 ·
My dad built tyhos coffee table in woodshop in 1943. It sat outside in a steel ahwd for 25 some odd years. I pulled it out and remarkably it was not that badly damaged . I stripped it and have been refinishing it for about 8 days. I decided to use Holmsbys Tung Finsih because I never has before. After about 5 coats I lived the color it gave it, but honestly thought I'd need a coat of Poly for protectant....then this stuff started to really come together. Man it's mad a beautiful glassy looking finish. I'm on about the 8th coat. In between coats I want sand with 0000 steel wool then applly new coat. My question is how do I stop? How do I just buff out the surface so it's glass smooth. Before I apply the Tung it's baby butt smooth, but the Tung gives it a tiny bit of like almost abrasion...can I polish it? D9 I want sand it really easy?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey Herb, how long do those discs last?
Do you need to work up to the first disc. Or, will 0000 wool be enough?

#5 · (Edited)
Have you tried rubbing it with a soft cloth (like a tee shirt) as soon as it's not tacky. That will polish it and give you that glass look. Have you used anything on it other than tongue oil? The 1st coat should be 50:50 cut with thinner. Then pure tongue oil.

You can top coat it with something else, but I wouldn't. It is a very fine finish and durable. And easily repairable if something does happen to it. Just use more tongue oil!

Here's a great little article:

http://www.woodworkdetails.com/knowledge/finishing/tung-oil

#8 ·
Thanks, Herb. I'll give that system a try.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.