Router Forums banner

Would like suggestions for buying new corded power drill

Tags
drills
3K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  allthunbs 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I need to buy a new drill and would like some suggestions. I am a woman with small hands. I have gone to various stores and held different drills. They are all big and heavy in my hands, and over time will get heavier. Plus I am looking for a drill with power, I prefer using a corded drill. My old drill was given to me, I do not know much about drills and what to look for, so any shared knowledge will be very appreciated. What do I need to look for? I plan to use for woodworking and around the house.

Thanks ahead of time for the help.
JC

#2 ·
Hi,
For corded drills my preference is Milwaukee, but there are other brands that are just as good also. Just keep picking up drill motors till you find one that fits you the best. you can also try the battery powered drills. The top brands have batteries that will last a long time compared to models of the past.

#3 ·
JC.. I recognize that you said you prefer a corded drill but I suggest you swing by a Home Depot and wrap your hand around a 10.8V Makita. They're small, light, and their Lithium Ion battery lasts quite a long time. I've got big hands and have big corded and cordless drills but find myself grabbing the little Makita most of the time.

It's not the tool for drilling 50 or 100 pocket holes or drilling with large forstner bits. I drag out my Milwaukee 234-6 for those jobs, but for 90% of my work, it's light, has good battery life and the little LED in the front shining where I'm going to drill or drive a screw is really helpful.

#4 ·
Big Jim,
Thanks for your ideas.
The reason I like corded over battery drill is the corded seems to have more power and battery can add extra weight.
What options should I be looking for? What rpms? 1/2 or 3/8?

James,
Thanks for your ideas.
I was concerned about battery life.

JC

#5 ·
Jco..

take a good look at the smaller 3/8" dewalts. Price is reasonable at 50-60, even cheaper on the bay. Plenty of torgue. Its my go to drill around the shop. I just got tired of messing with batteries.
If its cordless you want to look at, take a look at some of the smaller cordless "drivers". Pretty much all the bennnies of a drill plus you can use several accessories available. but they are probably twice the price of a small drill...

#7 ·
JC,
I would agree with the others on the new lithium ion drill/drivers. The Makita is very nice, Bosch has a very similar model as well as I'm sure do others. You won't miss the cord and these have all the power you will need for 90% of the tasks you will need it for.

#8 · (Edited)
There's nothing wrong with wanting a corded drill. They do have more power, and the batteries don't go dead. Don't let someone talk you out of getting what you want.
I have a Ryobi 3/8" that has performed very well for me. Got it at HoPo for about $40 or so. I don't have meathooks for hands. It's a comfortable drill to hold.
http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/power_tools/drills_drivers/D46CK

#9 ·
Hi JC

I would suggest a air type drill ,they are light and have tons of power.
I have my share of battery type and cord type and the air drill puts most of them to shame..easy to store unlike the cord type and you can a right angle type for the hard to get in jobs..that's the one I like to use most of the time because it will get into just about any spot..

1/2" Reversible Air Drill
Search results for: 'air drill'

======

#10 ·
I have an old B&D corded drill 3/8", lots of power and very light. They are still around and their corded tools are well made.
I also have a Hitachi 18V LiON which is nice and compact. Check out the Hitachi line of corded and cordless drills as they are much smaller then the others.

#11 ·
JCO, I really think, if I understand your original post, you would be best served by one of the new generation battery-powered drills. A homeowner, doing casual and ordinary home type projects, is not going to need anything more. These new drills are NOT like the old ones. And the little Makita the guys talk about is amazing and would be just what someone with small hands and only occasional use would need.
Do yourself a favor and at least pick one up and try it. My bet is you'll buy it.

#12 ·
my corded drill is the Black & Decker firestorm gotta say its the best drill Ive ever owned and its not a bad weight its well balanced and has good power used it from everything from drilling concrete to drilling pilot holes for small brass hinges a well rounded drill and if I remember right it was only like $45 or around there.

#13 ·
I got a Ryobi set for Christmas about three years ago. Rechargeable with two batteries, charger, drill (two speed settings and a number of torque settings), light, circular saw, sander, bag. Like it real well. I keep the batteries charged periodically as I always want them ready for a project. Batteries Plus stores can rebuild them but it's pricey, even though they way it's a more powerful battery than the original.
I see a mini-ad for a Ryobi chainsaw. Have to look into that. So much wood so little time.

#14 ·
Hi JC:

Ok, a bunch of stuff here. Firstly, what are you going to use it for? Just going to drill holes? Drive screws? Drill holes in concrete? Drive lag bolts?

I have a broad selection of drills and drivers, none of which are for sale, just in case you thought this was a commercial.

Here's the rub... I have big heavy corded multi-geared 5/8' chuck drills that weigh a ton and for drilling through rebar reinforced concrete, I wouldn't trade it for the world. When I hit a piece of rebar, it doesn't jerk as badly as a light drill would. I've had wrist pain from hitting stuff concealed in wood and and concrete walls.

I also have a variety of 3/8" and 1/2" drills, some of them are hammer drills and some are just drills. I also have drywall drivers and an impact screw driver. The latter is excellent for pushing and pulling screws.

Makita makes a hybrid impact-hammer-driver-drill model #BTP140. It is a general jack of all trades. It has enough torque to drive long screws easily but at 4.0 lbs, it's probably lighter than most corded drills. It's also not going to jerk your wrist when it comes to the end of the screw. Given Makita's reputation, 1. it's going to be hard to find and 2. it ain't gonna be cheap, but, 3. it's well worth the bucks and, 4. you're going to have it for a long time so bucks per hour will be way down. 5. you'll be able to get parts for a long time.

Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.