Router Forums banner

Tote Boxes

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  DesertRatTom 
#1 · (Edited)
I make a lot of small decorative items in the later half of each year with my scroll saws.
I have used small cardboard boxes to hold the batches of small pieces of wood and the items in various stages of completion. These boxes never stacked very well and frequently fell over, dumping everything on the floor. So I tried small plastic tubs, and wasn't happy with them either. For the past two weeks, in between several other projects, I have been making some stackable tote bins to hold all of these small parts.
I made 12 of them, all from 10mm Baltic Birch. Each has a beveled 1 1/2" square piece of 10mm BB attached to the bottom as feet, and these double as a way to keep the stacked bins from sliding apart. Each has two coats of wipe on poly inside and out.
Now I'm thinking that I want to number all 4 sides to make finding the one that I want in the stack faster, but haven't decided how I want to do this yet. For a while, small Post-It notes will likely be attached to show what is in each.

The compound cut mailbox is one of my latest scroll saw projects. It is cut from one piece of wood, with only one glue joint. The flag shaft was cut from the same block of wood and then glued to the side of the mail box. This mailbox is 3 1/4" tall and made from poplar. I've made 4 of them so far and each time have tried different cutting methods. in an effort to improve both the quality and speed of cutting them out. So far, they are taking close to an hour to cut each one. The flag and the leaves on the vine were colored with marking pens, as another experiment. No finish has been applied yet either. I'm using a #1R Flying Dutchman blade for these.

Charley

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nifty boxes. Except you have to move them to get to the box you want, and that boils down to work. Years ago I made a puzzle book case, sorta. Sides, back, bottom, and they all slid together, no fastening. The sides were slightly slanted, so they would fit on the outside of the side of the section below. Best not to go more than four tall tho, or they will likely topple. And, cut a piece to fit between two stacks, and viola, you turn two into three, or three into five. I also made a piece that will fit on top making an open face stand, that one is at the end of my couch holding magazines. Some in the laundry room, my shop, and the rest line the wall of the hallway. Not near as nice looking as those tote boxes tho.

One of these days I'll try to dig out the masters, take photos, and post. Should be great for a college student.

Reactions: Roy Drake
#7 ·
Theo,

These are tote boxes, not a filing cabinet. I keep batches of parts in these so I can move them around the shop to perform the next machining step on each piece. I might work out of one and into a second one as I repeat the step on each piece. The boxes not in use will be stacked somewhere in the shop or may be stacked high enough next to the machine that I'm using to make the top one at the right height to be convenient for use at that machine. On toward Christmas when I ramp up production I will likely have all of the pieces for one pattern all in one tote box and pattern pieces for other patterns in other boxes. I'll likely attach small Post-It notes on the end of the boxes in use to make it easier to find the box containing the work that I want, but will then move it around the shop as I do the work to each piece. I was doing this with small cardboard boxes, but they didn't stack well and frequently got spilled, so rarely got stacked. These are designed so they stack together and shouldn't spill as easily.

Charley

#6 ·
Tom,

They were made with an Incra I-Box jig on my Unisaw, using a Freud SBOX8 box joint blade set. I highly recommend this combination if you want an easy to set box joint jig and perfectly flat bottomed 1/4 & 3/8" wide kerfs. Several other saw blade manufacturers are now offering the same design blade set, but I only have experience with the Freud set. It's two blades with off set teeth. Put them together with the printed labels facing outward and they cut a 1/4" kerf. Put them together with the labels facing each other and they cut a 3/8" kerf. These box joints are 3/8"

I thought that you had bought an I-Box jig last year. Is my memory failing me?

Charley

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.