Router Forums - View Single Post - Do you ever feel guilty about too good of a deal?
View Single Post
post #28 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
kp91
Marine Engineer

First Name: Doug

[quote=Herb Stoops;1981465]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kp91 View Post
It has all found a home at the High School wood shop.

WOW.Doug, they still have high school shops? I think I will go to that school to get my HS diploma.
Herb
The picture here shows about 20% of the shop. (they call it a 'Lab' now, because they teach construction technology there as well) I am very jealous of what they have. There are 2 big Powermatic lathes, 2 Powermatic table saws, 2 Powermatic drill presses, a Grizzly radial drill press, a Big Powermatic bandsaw and 2 14" bandsaws, 2 belt/disk sander stations, a 15" Powermatic planer, and some old scroll saws. The weak link in the shop is the jointer is only 6". They consolidated a lot of the stationary tools in the high school, as the adjoining middle school doesn't use them anymore, and that teacher wants more open space.

The nice thing is the big saws and planer will be able to handle the 4 inch thick pieces better than I ever could in my shop!

The metal working side of the shop is being decommissioned, as that is being taught at the technical high school across the county.

The budget doesn't allow for a lot of 'nice' wood for their projects, so they are always looking for donations. If you have material that is not perfect for your projects, but too good for the woodstove, you might want to see if your school can use it. They also look for donations of pen kits and shop supplies. There are rules on things they can accept, so you'll have to ask ahead of time.

I only had one technical education class in high school, yet I remember Mr. Maine fondly, and have used a lot of the things he taught me to this day. My oldest had 2 years in tech ed, and learned so much from Mr. Owens. My youngest is in her first year of tech ed and loves it. It's a great change of pace from her 'serious' subjects. They get a lot of life lessons in these classes that teenagers need to hear!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181205_113730082.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	862.9 KB
ID:	362755  

Doug
1 John 1:9
Fredericksburg, VA

http://disasterreliefeffort.org/

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome