Router Forums banner

hi new to forum

2K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  marecat3 
#1 ·
HI,
I have just purchased today a Dewalt 625 router - delivery tomorrow
i ran a few IT forums and contribute to excel forums, so knowing how useful these forums can be , i thought I would sign to a few tonight

UK based - retired
and so starting purchase replace and purchase new tools , and start a bit more DIY

No projects planned yet

I purchased a 35 bit Trend Cutter set, to start off with as i managed to get a better deal buying altogther

thanks to all

#3 ·
HI DesertRatTom, thanks for the welcome and quick reply

yes, i'm sure to have a few projects now, and looking forward to testing the kit out, i put up an old set of coat hangers today in the toilet cloakroom, and already i'm thinking of buying a bit of wood and using the router to make a nice cloths hook set

hopefully the research i did in last few weeks works out OK , But I did get some other items at a special price.

i borrowed my brothers router about 3 years ago and made some panels to match my kitchen which had blown.

But now in a new bungalow and there is quite a bit of work to do.

looking forward to getting the kit tomorrow and having a play over the weekend

Just looking at various youtube videos on what the tools in the kit can do

Only down side was I did not get a rebate tool in the kit - but i have seen a few including various bearings to change the rebate size
I also got a few straight cutters which can also be used - at least according to trend tech support chat today, before I finalised the deal

I came here looking at how to make a simple router table, which i can use with my pair of saw horse C700

I invested in dewalt , but not 100% sure on the quality , but tending to keep to thier kit at the moment

#4 ·
Hello Wayne and welcome to the forums...

seeing that you pretty new to routers we have some reading to offer ya at this link that just may be of some help/use to you...

Reactions: jj777746
#8 ·
DeWalt is not my favorite router, but it is a good one I think you'll like. I recently wrote up instructions on making your own router table. It's really pretty simple to do. You can use a single layer of ply, but I think in the longer run, that a double layer is a better choice. Essentially you will pick a size that works for you, buy a sheet or two of 18mm very flat ply, Baltic Birch if you can get it. I strongly suggest you buy a router mounting plate to put in your table, and that it be aluminum. You can mount the router directly on the wood, but the plate allows for other options down the line.

Lay the plate on the top of the table. Draw an outline of the plate on the top and use a jig saw to cut out an opening just a little in from the line. Put the plate back in place within the outline and surround it with wood strips as in the illustration. Use a couple of playing cards between the plate and wood strips to allow just a little extra room to remove the plate later. Remove the plate and use a trim bit with a bearing on it (sample shown) and make an exact fit hole.

If you glue on a second layer below, the second opening should be about the same size opening, but you may want to cut away a little from the corners to make room for the leveling screws.

Purchase some Kreg router plate levelers (pix below) in the corners. Drop the plate in and adjust the leveler screws until the plate is exactly level with the top.

You can mount this top on practically anything, even across a couple of saw horses. Or make a simple stand for it.

To start with, you can use a very straight 2x4 or 1x6 piece of lumber for the fence, or make something more elaborate like the one in the picture below.

Attachments

#9 ·
Sorry, the pictures ALWAYS go in out of order. Thought of one more thing. Flatness is really important in a router table. When I want a table surface perfectly flat, I usually put trusses under it. First, I joint or hand plane one edge as straight as possible, that flat side goes against the underside of the table. If you can'd flatten it, get as flat and straight a piece as you can find.

I drill into this truss from the un planed edge and use a drill stop so that my wood screws will NOT penetrate the surface of the table top. So if the top is 3/4, I drill stop so that only a little over half an inch of the screw tip goes into the top. I also apply glue to the planed edge after pre drilling the truss. The screws pull the truss tight and that top isn't going to warp. Place the trusses away from the router itself, and leave a 2 inch/50mm lip around the edge so you can clamp the fence in place.

Later you might want to mount some T-Track on the table, so when you do you'll rout some grooves to recess them into the top, and if you do this, be VERY careful not to hit any of those hidden screws! Adding T-track is another good reason for a double layer top.

#11 ·
Hey, Wayne; welcome! And thank you for filling in some bio!! It's a lot easier to help someone if you know about their tool and shop availability, not to mention a first name. :)
You've already bought the bit set so that's water under the bridge; normally most of the members would suggest buying the bare minimum to begin with and adding bits as you actually need them for a specific purpose. A lot of sets include bits that you'll probably never use, and not include the ones you really need.
Does your router come complete with a straight edge guide? You will need that.
https://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet...dust-collection-for-dw610-dw621-dw625-routers

#12 ·
Thanks DaninVan for the link

I got the Trend Cutter kit at a very low price (mainly due to some damage items in a previous order) , and i did read before to do only buy the bare minimum, but the kit was quite a low price and looking at a few youtube videos , the "must have" type of video where they suggest the 5 tools to have etc , the Kit included.
Except for a Rebate (Rabbet) which I was a little disappointed at not getting, but trend have one with various barings for about £33 - i cant link yet
But I will wait and see what I need
To buy the bits individually , the price was silly in UK, I notice US is much cheaper. for example some of the rebate tools from Trend are almost as much as i paid for the kit

However, I may regret that decision when I get my first project, and want a tool that is not in the Kit :)

The guide you posted , with a quick google search does not seem to appear in UK,

The Kit is supposed to include (won't know until 15:00 UK today when delivered)

1x Fine Adjustment Parallel Fence Guide

1x DW625 Variable Speed Router
1x Fine Adjustment Parallel Fence Guide
1x Dust Extraction Adapter
1x 30mm Guide Bush
1x ½" Collet
1x ¼" Collet
1x 22mm Spanner
1x TSTAK Kit Box

TREND Cutter bits in kit FYI

Single flute 3.2mm (1/8”) x 12.7mm (1/2”) cut

Straight 6.3mm (1/4”) x 19mm (3/4”) cut
Straight 12.7mm (1/2”) x 19mm (3/4”) cut
Straight 19mm (3/4”) x 19mm (3/4”) cut

Straight 9.5mm (3/8”) x 25mm (1”) cut
Straight 12.7mm (1/2”) x 25mm (1”) cut

Pierce and trim 6.3 (1/4”) x 18mm ()

45 Degree V groove x 12.7mm (1/2”) dia.

Guided 45 degree chamfer 30mm (1” 3/16) dia

Dovetail 12.7mm (1/2”) dia
Dovetail 14.3mm (9/16”) dia

Core Box R3.2mm (1/8”)
Core Box R6.35mm (1/4”)

Core Box Long series R6.35mm (1/4”) x 18mm cut

Guided trimmer 9.5 (3/8”) x 12.7mm (1/2”)
Guided trimmer 12.7 (1/2”) x 12.7mm (1/2”)

Guided trimmer 9.5 (3/8”) x 25mm (1”)
Guided trimmer 12.7 (1/2”) x 25mm (1”)
Guided trimmer 19 (3/4”) x 25mm (1”)

Guided round over R6.3mm (1/4”)
Guided round over R9.5mm (3/8”)
Guided round over R12.7mm (1/2”)

Guided ovolo R12.7mm (1/2”)

Guided cavetto R7.9mm (5/16”)

Guided cove R6.3mm (1/4”)
Guided cove R9.5mm (3/8”)

Guided groover 6.35mm (1/4”) x 9.5mm (3/8”) deep
Guided groover 7.9mm (5/16”) x 9.5mm (3/8”) deep
Guided groover 9.5mm (3/8”) x 9.5mm (3/8”) deep

Hinge recess straight 12.7mm (1/2”) dia x 12.7mm (1/2”) cut

Guided roman ogee R4.7mm (3/16”)
Guided roman ogee R6.35mm (1/4”)

Guided R4mm (5/32”) classic décor
Guided R6.3mm (1/4”) classic decor

Guided wavy edge R4.7mm (3/16”)

#14 ·
Thanks
Appears , I now have a couple of projects
1. Floating oak shelf for the kitchen
2. Backing sheet and coat hooks for cloakroom
3. Fitting the cloakroom out with new basin and toilet, so I'm sure furniture will come into it
4. Name plate for the house - TIMBERS

Delivery due in the next hour looking at the tracking DPD

#17 · (Edited)
Thanks - good to know the set is not all wasted then.
Just playing with the box now, a few were loose in the case and trend are sorting that out in case of damage

I will have to wait till next weekend to use the tool now , but looking forward to it
The tools have the MAx speed written on the shaft, so thats helpful - BUT not what it does !!! for a novice like me thats interesting

yes has a fine edge guide , not the greatest of quality I have seen - but as mentioned here on the forums and other places, Dewalt are downgrading the quality of their tools , cheaper production more profit i guess

Mine was made in Italy going by the label

#19 ·
Welcome aboard Wayne, you'll find the folks here are fantastic at offering advice and sharing the journey with you. I've learned a lot since joining (especially great since I'm still early in my woodworking path).

I've just made a router table for a Makita router. It's been a great journey so far, with lots of helpful advice and encouragement along the way, and I've enjoyed it immensely.

#23 ·
Heh...a bunch of the neighbors were getting together last night (wine and Xmas leftovers); one of the women, she lives alone in an 8K sq. ft. home on the waterfront, was asking our opinion on getting her house painted. She had a quote of $18,000 all in...airless spray painted. We retired guys figure he's charging out at $180/hr. (The contractor said it'd take him 2-3 weeks working by himself...single story house, with a two story extension, no windows in it.)
We're all sitting around drooling and offering to do it for $15K.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.