Router Forums banner

Hip replacement surgery - if I survive I'm getting a new router

4K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  sgcz75b 
#1 ·
I'm getting a new right hip on February 7th. As a reward for having great insurance (which means it will cost me nothing for all medical services), I'm getting a new router. My 41-year-old Craftsman (bought several years ago from a guy who used it once in 1984 for 40 dollars including case, 19 bits, and still had the hang tags on it), has served me well but I'm ready to get another one.

As I'm more a DIY than fine woodworker, I'm seriously considering the Bosch GKF125CEN with additional plunge base and new edge guide. I'll still look for a big one for a future router table, but in the meantime, I'll get good use out of a smaller palm router.

All the reviews and demos I've seen have been positive. For less than $300 I can get it all with new bits. Is there anything I'm missing in considering this Bosch?

Yours for a new hip and router,
Steve

Reactions: gjackson52
#4 · (Edited)
#5 ·
Good morning Steve,

First and foremost I too wish you a fast and speedy recovery.
You can not go wrong with Bosch router's of my arsenal of 17 routers, (i just counted)
I have at least 4 Bosch router's. 2 of them the pony palm router, one with a fixed base and one with the newer plunge base. Also I have in the larger 2 1617EVS Bosch routers as well. These have been great. The one has been on a Jess-um router lift insert in my right side of my Jet exacta saw since I bought it over 15 years ago maybe longer. I use my router's a lot as I'm out there everyday all day long. This router I just replaced the bearings in as they started squealing on the power down. This router is back and running like new.

Bosch stays on the leading edge of technology and builds some fantastic tools.
Just my 2 cents worth.
If have questions about other brands I have several others that work great too.

Hope that helps

Kind regards,

Tim of ZWW&S

#7 ·
Of all the folks I know who are 'bionic' hip-wise, they all swear by it. Best gift they ever received. A word to the wise however, do your post-op exercises like your life depends on it; your Physio is your new best friend.
Another vote here for the Bosch 1617EVSPK (the EVSPK is the kit with both fixed and plunge bases). It comes with both 1/2" and 1/4" collets so you can use whichever shank size bits you want. At 2 1/4HP it has lots of power for pretty much anything you ask of it.

#8 ·
Dan's spot on especially with the rehab. I've had both knees and a shoulder in the last 6 years and can tell you from experience that PT is your best friend. It won't be pleasant at first but that's what the pain killers are for but try to use as little of those you can. Stay ahead of the pain so it doesn't take over, it will be shorter than you'd think. I think my wife took them fro a week before not needing them and did very well. Everyone is different but I can tell you I transitioned from Oxy to Tylenol 3 quickly and then stopped altogether. But your PT is going to determine how well you recover and move afterwards. No skimping, no excuses. It's that important and will be over faster than you realize when you look back. Also don't try to over achieve, go at the pace set or you could cause a setback. It's not a race and the docs and PTs know their stuff and will guide you along. Each is different so take advantage of the skill and knowledge. Just a heads up, you be feeling way better real soon.

And yes, the 1617EVSPK is a great router. I have two of them and use them often. No complaints and I'd buy them again. It's like I ask the wife when we go to dinner, "would you get it again"?

#9 ·
Steve,

Good luck with the surgery. I know several people who have gone through it and the level of success depends on the following of the exercises. One guy never exercises and he is always using his wheel chair, while others who exercise are walking and enjoying the painless new knees.

I recently bought the Bosch EV1617 combo and I am happy I did.

Dan

#10 ·
What Steve said. I have two hips and a knee so far. What Doug said about up and around, the day after my afternoon operation, I was underway with a walker. There are a lot of self guided exercises they give you, and they work like a charm. Many can be done in a bed, and doing them on my own helper a lot until I could go to the professional PT guys.

Good luck.

#11 ·
I thought they were going to bump up the hp on the Colt but this must be meant to eventually replace the Colt. Maybe this is their model to go head to head with the DW 611. Maybe the Ridgid and the Makita 700 too but I'm not sure what their hp ratings are. I would also say go bigger. All you can do is small jobs with noting but a trim router wheres as with the 1617 you can still do trim jobs and edge profiles but run raised panel bits too if that's what you want. The router is just heavier and not quite as easy to handle.

I am also in the group who'll tell you to do the physio. My one knee replacement is almost as good as the original was when the original was at 100%. I found an exercise bike good for therapy. You aren't supporting your weight on the replacement and and you are going through a good range of motion with it. Whether it will work as well for a hip as it did for my knee I don't know for sure.

#12 ·
Best of luck with the surgery. Wife had a knee replaced and the guy in the next room had both hips replaced on the same day. They both were up and walking with walkers the next day. + 1000 on everyone's PT recommendations.
As to the router, I'd go with the Bosch 1617EVSPK, for sure.

#13 ·
Thanks for all the encouragement on the new hip. It's been bad for a couple of years, had two steroid injections which helped but only lasted a couple of months, the last one being November 1.

Still, I've been hobbling along, digging and planting bushes and trees, climbing ladders for home maintenance, setting up my re-arranged workshop, and lifting sheets of plywood for cutting. I find it easier to work and deal with the pain than sit and complain about the pain.

I plan to do all the exercises I need to do, and will have PT coming to the house. Fortunately, I've never been an inactive person, and even though I semi-retired 10 years ago in the advertising/publishing biz (self-employed for 30 years and now only work on projects I choose) I'm quite active and in good health, 112/76 BP, no meds, no problems.

I've just about decided to take the advise and go with the 1617 and the new edge guide. Is there any way to add a dust port without the edge guide?

Thanks again.

Steve

#15 ·
I've also found this, Bosch RA1173AT Dust Extraction Kit, for 30 bucks on Amazon. With the 1617 kit, super-duper edge guide, and dust kit that's just about $300.00. That's cheaper and longer lasting than a night out with drinks, dinner, and a hooker.

#19 ·
Since I'll be needing 1/2 bits now, I went ahead and ordered the Whiteside Basic set from Amazon. As much money as I've spent there in the last few weeks, I'm expecting a thank-you call from Jeff Bezos.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.