Router Forums - View Single Post - pitting on the sole of a plane
View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 04:50 PM
Nickp

First Name: Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick486 View Post
pitting is a form of extremely localized corrosion that leads to the creation of small holes in the metal. The driving power for pitting corrosion is the depassivation of a small area, which becomes anodic while an unknown but potentially vast area becomes cathodic, leading to very localized galvanic corrosion. The corrosion penetrates the mass of the metal...

Now that Nick dragged that out of me..

You could clean out the potholes... what do you mean could??? make that will and use peroxide or distilled white vinegar... be sure to rinse well...

mix up some JB Weld and just before it completely hardens take a razor blade and slice the JB down to the sole.... So far so good...

Then wait till the JB cures completely and sand the bottom of the entire sole till satisfied it is completely flattened.... now this is where things can go south in a big hurry if you are not careful...

scribe lines diagonally across the bottom of the sole with a Sharpie marker to give a good indication of how true and flat it was... you'll catch on quick to the why for how come...
attach your sand paper (120/150 to start) to an old thick piece of copier glass or a granite slab that is super flat with a small homogeneous amount of spray on adhesive....
do this till the sole becomes flat...
From here on out step the grits down to sand out the scratches from the flattening....
keep going and going w/ finer and finer paper till you have a mirror finish... I like silicon carbide wet/dry for this operation....
got 1,000 or 1,500 paper??? - now we're talkin'...
got finer... why not???

Notes:
If the sole is badly out of flat start start w/ 80 grit and keep at it till you bring the sole back into the real world and proceed w/ the polishing...

You're right...I did not go into as much detail...now that I know you're watching, I'll be more careful...

Nick

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
GIVE A MAN A FISH and you feed him for a day.
TEACH HIM HOW TO FISH and you feed him for his life time.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome