Router Forums - View Single Post - Cutting board question or other suggestions
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Barry747

First Name: Barry

Default Cutting board question or other suggestions

Sorry I haven't posted much to the forum for a while. Back problems have kept me out of the shop for several months. Surgery 7 weeks ago has helped so I'm back, part time for the present.

Yesterday, as I finally got back to working on a coffee table top to replace an old one, my wife came in and said that I had to see something outside. The teacher, whose class my wife volunteers for, was parked in the driveway with her trunk open. In it was a load of lumber that she said was Honduran Mahogany. The boards had been sitting in her mother's house for at least 65 years. Her grandfather had been in the navy and had brought them back from Hondoras. Anyway, they were cleaning out old stuff, found the wood, and knew that I was a woodworker so she offered it to me. Needless to say, I was happy to accept. One person's junk, is another person's treasure.

I haven't worked with Mahogany before so I did some research online. These boards are old growth genuine Mahogany. On a couple of boards where I could see the end grain the growth lines were too close for me to count without a magnifier. As you can see in the picture, the boards are all different shapes and sizes. They add up to 33bf.

Finally, I'll get to my question. I want to do something to thank both her and her mother for the lumber. I was thinking that I'd make an edge grain cutting board of maple with mahogany stripes for each of them. That way they'd always have a reminder of the father/grandfather. I've searched on line to see if mahogany can be used in cutting boards and found conflicting information so I thought I'd ask the forum.

Also, if you think that mahogany should not be used in a cutting board, what else could I make as a thank you gift?

As always, thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Honduran Mahogany.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	367719  

If you have an open mind, you’ll generally find that you’ll learn the most from the people who say the things you least want to hear.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome