Router Forums - View Single Post - question about JET 10-20 Drum Sander
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 06:30 PM
Herb Stoops
Forum Contributor

First Name: Herb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherryville Chuck View Post
I just changed paper for the first time a week ago on my new 16-32 King which is probably the same machine as a Jet and likely has some of the same parts as yours. I had trouble figuring out the clip on the right side too. I had to get a mechanics mirror in there so I could see it. If the drum slot the paper goes in is facing more or less towards you then you have to get your finger down a ways under the whole mechanism and lift it up an inch or better until the slot in the clip is visible in the slot of the drum. There is a pretty good spring load on the clip and it's not that easy a job. Plus you have to manage to shove the paper into that clip at the very least an inch before it will grab while you are holding it. Another pair of hands to hold the drum and paper while you are fighting with that might help.

On my King it came with paper that was 3 1/16" wide and the replacement rolls are only 3" wide. Putting the new paper on while keeping the wraps tight together left a gap between the last wrap and the slot in the drum. The only way that I could make it work out was to leave a 1/16" gap between wraps to make up for the difference in paper width. I don't know if you'll have that problem but if you do it's the only solution I've found.

I have had the 10/20,16/32, and now the Super Max 16/32.

The Performax 10/20, is the same machine as the Jet. Did you get the tool and the manual for your sander?
The tool is a great help ,once you get to master how to use it. There are Utube videos on how.
It is a real bugger tthread the right side. Iyou have to start on the left and wrap to the right. Reach your finger down inside and pull the spring loaded catch up then feed the end of the belt in and release. I usually work across any slack in the sanding belt and keep re tightening the clamp til I get it as tight as I can.

I had 2 Performax 16/32 and they are the same.
When Jet bought them out they extended the drum out an inch or so that there is more room on the right side to get your index finger in there to lift the clamp.

The Super Max is made by the same people that invented the Perfomax, and they also provided more room to work on the right side of the drum.I too noticed that the belts have a 1/16" gap between wraps Like Chuck said

But if you can master the tool that came with the sander it really speeds up the belt installation.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jet-Perform...ss!98002!US!-1

I have changed belts close to 100 times and ince you get the hang of it it goes fast.

Herb

Last edited by Herb Stoops; 04-05-2019 at 06:34 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome