Router Forums banner

Router Table Fence Options

9K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Titus A Duxass 
#1 ·
Almost done with my mini, portable, test router table that I'm building to see what I like, don't like, and can improve on before I cut a hole in my table saw extension for the "real one".

Anyway, the last thing to do is build a fence. I've been looking at designs ranging from minimalist, to "Champy Tool 2" (
A very, very, very sophisticated router table !) and it occured to me that instead of having a split sliding face fence, I could make a fixed fence that uses different inserts to control the opening around the bit, including "sacraficial" pieces that could be used again.

My question: Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#3 ·
I will be starting on my table soon and i will go for the sliding fence, main reason for me is that if i had a fence for different bits, they would soon mount upto a very large collection, plus changing it everytime you use it.

Cheers

Dave
I'm thinking that I would only need a few inserts since each could be used for several bits of approximately the same size. When really mecessary, I would use a sacraficial insert that I could keep, or toss.

Thanks for the input.

#4 · (Edited)
ur welcome RJM60, I am only a newbie myself as far as using a router table, i have used a handheld router for years, but due to the body not working right anymore lol, i'll have to start using a table, as i can't do what i used to be able to anymore.

Some of the guys and gals who have more experience with using a table for their router will know more about it than me. Good luck on the build and hope you sort it out ok.

Cheers

Dave

#5 ·
Almost done with my mini, portable, test router table that I'm building to see what I like, don't like, and can improve on before I cut a hole in my table saw extension for the "real one".

Anyway, the last thing to do is build a fence. I've been looking at designs ranging from minimalist, to "Champy Tool 2" and it occured to me that instead of having a split sliding face fence, I could make a fixed fence that uses different inserts to control the opening around the bit, including "sacraficial" pieces that could be used again.

My question: Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.
Are you saying just the face of the fence is stationary or the entire fence?

#9 ·
The fence location (distance from the bit) would still be adjustable but the face would be one piece with a 4-1/2" wide replaceable insert where the bit is. I was thinking a replaceable insert would be nice for when zero clearance is required and it got me thinking. If I incorporate this, then why would I need sliding split faces; I could just make a few more inserts and eliminate the complexity of having sliding faces and a replaceable insert.

Another option: Have a sliding split face and provisions for attaching a zero clearance insert. Adds the complexity of the sliding faces (not all that complex though).

Or, have sliding faces and use them to hold a zero clearance insert. Would add complexity to the insert.

Or, have a sliding split face without provisions for an insert and just attach a sacraficial piece of MDF to the entire front of fence when necessary. The drawback to this is it uses a bigger piece of wood (i.e. a sacraficial fence would be as long as the fence, versus an insert that is only 4-1/2" long).

#7 ·
Either a zero clearance insert to fit the bit exactly, or a standard insert depending on the bit. For example, for a 1/2" bit, the insert openeing would be around 5/8".

Would a 1/16" gap on either side of the bit be an issue? I imagine that a fence with sliding faces could get closer but is this necessary?

#8 ·
sommerfeld tools offers something along those lines..

Zero Clearance Inserts-New Top-Sommerfeld's Tools For Wood

I don't think that a sliding fence would be required...I'd just be careful introducing the blank to the bit for the first time...

I'd wait and see what some of the 'experts' think about whatcha got in mind....*S*

#14 ·
I'm thinking a couple of carriage bolts in a counterbored hole with a washer and athreaded thru-hole knob on the backside. They would self align in the opening made for them. It's pretty easy to cut a square, or rectangle to within 1/64" and add a couple counterbored clearance holes.

Do you ever use a zero clearance fence? Is this something I shouldn't even bother considering?

#13 · (Edited)
Hi Robert

Take a hard look at the fence below,it's only 120.oo and well worth the price some of the other ones like it go for 330.oo bucks.yes you can make your own but the hard part is setting up for the inserts, that you can flip over and use the on both end/sides by the way..a strait line is always better than a curve line or to say a broken line..

# 1073
Supreme Router Table Fence

Router Table Fence

I will say I have two of them on the router table setups with that type and they are great, once you use one it will be the only type you will want to use . :)
If you get one be sure to buy some of the insert stock for it..

You can see many pictures of them in my uploads...

========

Attachments

#16 ·
# 1073
Supreme Router Table Fence

Router Table Fence
That's a rather neat fence.
It looks like it's constructed from commercially available alu extrusion.
I'm searching for it but haven't found it yet.

There are similar extrusions that, with an L support would make good fences when combined with MDF.

#18 ·
Hi all,
That is my new table top and fence
only 2 levers to fix the fence on the table, fine adjustment, and left fence fine adjustment
and multiple dust collection.
cost: a few $

Santé

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.