Router Forums banner

Advice on Hot Glue Guns

7K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  Rob Bragg 
#1 ·
After having looked online I have to say I'm more confused then ever when it comes to what works well and not. I often will look at an item and give the reviews a good look over to see if there is any consistency in their findings. More times than not you can attribute the bad reviews to either lack of how to use something or just plain junk. Now so far it appears glue guns are relatively cheap but I detest buying junk and having to replace something often so I try to be smart about these purchases. I'd rather pay a bit more and get quality then buy cheap and often which turns out to be more expensive and time consuming. I also don't want to beta test a product.

This all came up when I needed a hot glue gun to use while working on a planer sled to secure the shims. I went to my tool chest where I knew I had my father-in-law's old Craftsman hot glue gun and glue sticks. They've been there for years. Glue gun, glue sticks......where's the power cable? No where to be found is the power cable..........Can't say whether this gun works or not so I go looking anywhere i might have a cable that works but nothing close and Sears doesn't have nay information on this anywhere. So I make a quick cable to test and make sure it even works which it does but now need to find a proper cable or buy a new hot glue gun.

I'm a very experienced Amazon buyer but can tell you their reviews are a mess. Say you're looking at a abc123 model Netgear router :), I know this is a woodworking forum...., the reviews you'll find seem to cover every Netgear model out there, not necessarily the one you are looking at so the reviews are a mess and not very useful. Hot glue guns seem to be about the same so fairly worthless.

I have two choices, search for a proper cable and use what I have (preferable) not because I'm cheap but rather because I would rather use what I already have then throw away something that works away or buy a new hot glue gun. Of course there's the sentimental value of it being my FIL's old glue gun to consider as well.

So anyone have a good source for 110V power cables? If not, have any suggestions on a good hot glue gun that should last and works properly. I see lots of reviews that say things like "glue runs out when it's not needed", "broke after 2 uses", "doesn't work at all".....and I have no desire to go through that process. I mean it's a hot glue gun, how difficult is it to get one that works and lasts?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
This low cost glue gun is well over 25 years old and has never missed a beat. Probably because they aren't used as often as most other tools they have a long life and can be bought on Ebay for from $4.00 to about $35.00 dollars. Go middle of the price range and you will probably one day leave it to your son!

Attachments

#3 ·
I have a couple. One really cheap and, one I just bought for around $26 USD. The new one heats faster and hotter @100 watts. It's a Chandler "Heavy Duty Commercial" model. Found it on Amazon. I really like it.

#4 ·
I'm happy with this glue gun from Amazon. I like the longer nozzle and dual heat temperatures. Plus it doesn't drip like the others, and actually stands up on its own when you're waiting for it to heat or while setting up for the next glue operation. It also heats up quickly. It seems like other glue guns take forever to get to the point where the glue actually begins to melt. For under $25 I think it's a steal.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FN6MC7T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
#10 ·
Not sure that the one I showed is heat resistant, not sure the female would even fit. After I posted that I got to thinking, that sure looks like a computer/printer lead. I think the female end is too large.
My wife had the same one Steve is showing, for her craft work, and if I recall it just had a regular 16 ga. cord. I think that a person could direct wire a 16 ga. or larger cord on the gun without too much problem.
HErb

#11 ·
Reactions: Stick486
#13 ·
To test the old glue gun I used a standard lamp cord and had 2 wire connectors on the end to attach to the pins. While this works fine and is appropriately sized for the voltage/amperage it isn't secure as a molded end. Not realizing until just now I actually have a cable like that within inches of the gun. I have a Canon battery charger not 6 inches away on my desk with the same cord as the laptop cord which I also tried last night. The spacing of the pins is a bit narrower on the cord but flexible enough to work. If needed I could split the connector, trim it slightly and .......wait for it......glue it back together.

#17 · (Edited)
Looks like the connector on my club's coffee pot. Two pins, oversized connector. Check a second hand shop, some have bins filled with all kinds of cords and cables. Take the gun with you. Porbably cost a buck or two. I hate tossing a perfectly good item for lack of small, misplaced part.

can't stop myself: Just stick with it.

#19 ·
I bought a Dewalt ( DWHT750928 ) temp gun, and their glue sticks from HD. I use it to stick parts to the router planer sled, works great. I also use white masking tape and place a strip on the sled and a strip in work piece. Place glue to a piece and stick to sled, There is no clean up. the gun was around $30.00. It also works great for holding table saw miter bars to new sled.

#23 ·
Numerous definitions but, elasticity measurement is probably applicable, here. I don't detect any stretch differences between the beige, green or blue. None are all that stretchy.:wink:

#24 ·
Lee Valley is selling a masking tape for holding glued parts together. I think it might have a little extra stretch. It's also not as brittle as most masking tapes are.

#25 ·
Only if you use blue glue sticks. No it will work but is much more expense for something that goes in the trash in a few minutes. I used blue, then i looked at the big wad of tape in trash can and decided I needed a cheaper tape. I use 2 inch wide 1.5 inch wide and 1 inch wide tape depending on the application.

#26 ·
Well the bag for the power cord arrived yesterday from Amazon....unsealed and empty. Another call to Amazon to make. Somewhere in the US Postal system is a power cord wandering around looking for a home, lost and afraid. C'mon guys, seal the blasted bag. I called and told the rep I'd like to be able to return the cable and was informed it was easy. I informed her that was going to be far harder then she thinks because it had to be located first. I mean how many places could it be between Ky and Va? She started to see the picture shortly.

After informing her the bag made it totally unscathed but also unsealed she started to realize the true nature of the problem, big opening and no cable. She informed me the replacement would arrive on Monday but if you didn't get the first on how can it be a replacement? Thankfully this doesn't happen too often.

#29 ·
I actually have 2 hot glue guns. One with slim glue sticks I got for $1. The other was a gift, and I believe $ 5-6. I tested each, and they both seem to work just fine. Have had them for years. And have never had occasion to use either. I much prefer just using Titebond II, and glue-up jigs if need be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.