Router Forums banner

Help for newbie please!

3K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  jw2170 
#1 ·

I am retired, living in the UK and disabled after serving in the London police.

I now want to get some knowledge under my belt using different equipment. I have a Bosch router, and appreciate different models to different countries, but I followed what my father in law did with his, but still cannot adjust the depth of the cut.

I really would appreciate real help and advice on making life easier and using the knowledge in forums:frown::frown:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Not familiar with that router, but since it's a plunge model, it may have a spring to lift it when using it hand held. In most models, you must remove the spring to use it in a table. My thinking is that the spring might be interfering with the fine adjustment.

I hope that Harry from Australia checks in because he has a similar lift setup, uses Makita routers, and likely will have a good solution.

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum, Steve! Add your first name to your signature line to clear the N/a in the side panel. Add your location, as well.

It appears the depth stop block is engaging with the depth rod. Maybe this isn't what you're asking but it won't go any deeper with that engaged.

Handheld power drill Machine Tool

David

#4 ·
That's an interesting lift mechanism. I wonder how solid it is. Seems like vibration might eventually move the scissor lift if it isn't screwed down. Though tension from the router may be sufficient to keep it in place.

And, good catch by David on the depth stop. Looks like a good candidate for the culprit. Springs could be an issue. Also is the plunge lock engaged?

#11 ·
Welcome aboard Steve.

Interesting way to lift the router and one I hadn't seen before. As posted by others the depth adjustment rod will be an issue if not addressed and any locking mechanism could be as well. If that model has a fixed base you would be better off mounting the motor in that and then using on you table. Of course you'll need to lock the router to the base once the height is achieved.

A model number may help look up that unit and get more information.

#12 ·
Greetings Steve.
One of the commoner DIY routers east of the Atlantic and west of the Pacific. Dedicated plunge router, no fixed base option.
Yours looks in nice clean condition.

The router is raised as far as it can go, with the given settings.
it will raise a bit further (perhaps 1,5 cm) if you rotate the stepped turret against which the depth-stop rod is abutting (you can rotate it three or four clicks before returning to the present position.
Thereafter, there is not much further travel possible - if you look at the collet from the top of the table, it will be pretty close to the top. It is not designed to protrude through the table top - the bit will protrude to the desired extent.

Probably a good idea to fix the lift mechanism to the shelf on which it rests (if not already fixed). The lowermost part of the router has some bumps (visible in the photo) - may move on the lift plate during use.
If I remember correctly, that model has some ventilation holes between the bumps - if so, do not try to place a rubber pad or some such, between the router and the lift plate.

#17 ·
G'day and welcome to the forum, Steve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.