Router Forums banner

Patriotic and other

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  marecat3 
#1 ·
Haven't posted anything in awhile, so I thought I would share some of my latest projects. Was disappointed with my wood choice in the eagle flag, but as John would say, "that's wood". Pretty happy with my USA flag and bear piece. Have been trying to figure out the whole glazing technique, but still have a ways to go. Anybody with pointers, I am all ears. My technique is to seal with shellac and then use gel stain to highlight and then lacquer for a finish coat.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Those look fantastic, Dave, just wonderful!! It looks like you're doing pretty good with the glaze to me, I think they came out nice.

I'm using Mohawk Van **** Brown glazing stain and do it basically the way you did except I use Nitrocellulose sanding sealer for two coats, one coat of gloss, and then the glazing stain. Then I shoot a final coat of either gloss or semi-gloss, depending on the project. The glazing stain I'm using is ready to be sprayed over in 10-15 minutes unless you leave some puddled in low areas.

How long did these take to cut? Which bits did you use - roughing then final? Which woods? The Eagle flag looks like Maple and the USA flag looks like Red Oak but I can't tell the others (and may have these two wrong, as well).

David

#4 ·
David, the eagle flag is poplar and the veteran flag is red oak. Time varied, but between 2-1/2-3 hrs on the patriotic stuff. Bear and paddle are both select pine from Menards. I was somewhat conservative and went as small as 1/16" ballnose on the medallion cleanup. Otherwise used 3/8" endmill for roughing and 3/16" ballnose for finish.

I wish I could spray my finish, but I don't have enough heated space, let alone vented heated space here in northern MN. Maybe someday...

#8 ·
Dave is too modest and has to be prodded sometimes to show samples of his work. You know how computer nerds have to be absoluely perfect or they think their work will be picked apart. He is really quite good at this, but hates to admit it. Good stuff Lil Buddy!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.