Router Forums banner

new saw blade for me Freud 10" x 40T

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Cherryville Chuck 
#1 ·
While researching and trying to decide between this and a Forrest II at $119
Freud 10" x 40T Thin Kerf Premier Fusion General Purpose Blade at $67
I decided (per FineWoodWorking mag article recommendation) to give this a try.
I will let you know how it turns out...
Floor Flooring Table

Circular saw Blade Saw blade Circle Logo

Diagram Line Design Vehicle

Text Diagram Font Design Line art

Text Font Diagram

See less See more
#2 ·
Good luck! My experience with Freud blades hasn't been exactly stellar.

#4 ·
so fix your arbor...
you have said more than once it had play in it and it was really pronounced w/ a dado blade...
you are the rare one that has had issue w/ Freud blades...

Reactions: Danman1957
#3 ·
It's supposed to be a good blade for people who either don't have the cash for different blades or just hate changing blades. General purpose to me means that it isn't the best blade for ripping or crosscutting but will do a better job of crosscutting than a rip blade will and a better job of ripping than a dedicated crosscut blade will.

Like Gene I've had some mixed results with Freud blades. I have an industrial quality glue line rip blade that has never particularly impressed me. But the thin rim D1024 rip blade performs fairly well and I get them on sale here for $30. They should be even cheaper in the U S. One of the better rip blades I've used is a B & D Piranha 32 tooth. It has lasted a long time and was part of a 2 pack of it and a 60 tooth crosscut for $20 on sale I think it was. I'm looking forward to your impressions of the Fusion blade Randy.

Reactions: dirt_dobber
#8 ·
Freud has an industrial line that is premium. extra large tips for many resharpenings. I no longer use thin kerf blades. Too much flex when cutting miters to suit me. I am a big fan of the Freud Glue Line blade and it's what I keep on the saw for the majority of cuts. Works really well for me, and cuts a flat bottom groove and I have yet to see splintering when using it.

I think Freud has three lines, one (Diablo) is low end, Freud brand intermediate, and the industrial premium line. I've not tried a Forrest blade yet, but understand it is a wonder working blade. Just so happy with full kerf Glue Line for what I make that I just don't feel the need for a super premium blade.

#12 ·
newest cut

I cut some 3/4" plywood with the new blade - wow - I have never had this clean of a cut before on any blade.
I usually get "frayed" edges on my plywood cuts - even resorted to cutting thru blue tape to minimize that effect at times.
But this blade seems to cut faster or with less effort - but this could be because I needed a new blade for awhile.
I even zoomed in for this pic - all the edges look this crisp.
Product Wood Plywood Hardwood Floor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.