Router Forums banner

New tape measure

8K views 54 replies 24 participants last post by  Stick486 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Another gadget to be misplaced, run out of batteries, or malfunction, just when you need it the most. Expensive too I imagine. I'll pass.

#21 ·
That's why I use a blindman's tape. https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/sho...ing-and-measuring/tapes/32565-blindmans-tapes This is my standard shop tape. They also sell it in left handed and right handed versions. The standard tape you buy everywhere is a left hander's tape. For a right handed person they are awkward to use. The other version is much easier.

For dividing small lengths I use a center finding ruler, also from Lee Valley. For longer lengths I switch to an all metric tape. Dividing is much easier in a base 10 decimal system.

#12 ·
9% of reviewers reported really crummy use - pull out the tape too fast and it can’t measure, displays went dead, is not accurate, or just quit working. This would be a pricey item if it were made to DeWalt or similar brands - and they don’t make them, Wonder why?

#13 ·
About 5 years ago I was given a Skil version of this - I find it very useful for making inside measurements, particularly in low light conditions, where I can lock the measurement and bring it to the light - and it has always proved to be very accurate and reliable, and surprisingly robust. A bit too bulky for everyday use though - this one seems a bit more compact.

#14 ·
I use to have a heavy black digital 25' tape measure that lasted me a few years. Seemed it had a few falls and did need a battery replacement a few times. Then one day it no longer worked. As for accuracy I couldn't tell you other than when I measured 24" say the other tapes did as well. For my projects it really didn't matter and I've come to use tape measures by a simple rule, start a project with one and use that same one throughout. If I'm making a cabinet and use the same tape it makes no difference if all the parts are measure with the same tape. All parts that are supposed to be say 12" will be the same. Now if they are 11-31/32" or 12-1/16" it doesn't matter as long as all the other parts are measure and cut with the same tape measure. No difference then say suing a story stick.

That said, I have found differences in tape measures but usually it's in different models or brands. I usually buy the same models and the one's I've come to favor have both metric and imperial. Let's face it with aging eyes sometimes it's easier to read mm than fractions and far easier to remember 80.5 mm then 3.169291" or 3-3/16". At least that's what I have found for me.

As to the cost of this tape measure, $30 on eBay w/free shipping seems reasonable if it last and has a decent warranty. But then again, I wouldn't want to drop it too often but I wouldn't want to drop my digital calipers either. None of those digital tools are designed for that kind of handling that I'm aware of. As for the memory function, I trust my measure and write on the white board I hung in the shop for clarity as my memory has always been short, a trait I got from my mother. Use to be written on paper but seem to misplace those as well. The white board is mounted on the wall. I misplace that I'm in deep stuff.

#16 ·
Well most of us share at least one opinion, it seems to me that I often drop a tape measure and this looks fragile to me. One of the most frustrating things about tape measures is that they don't stay put when you extend them. For Christmas, my son bought me a 25 ft DeWalt tape and I must say, I'm impressed. They must use a higher grade of steel because I can extend this one to more than 10ft without it flexing. I like that. As far as the features on the electronic one, they are time savers for sure but I carry my I Phone with me everywhere and often use the calculator feature and the level app and the flashlight ... and I bought an Otter rubber case that is almost indestructible ! I have had it since 2016 and dropped it several times and it is still like new. It is nice to know that these things are available and the price seems reasonable, but given the reviews, I will spend my $$$ on something else.

#17 ·
The reviews make me nervous with this device. I would suggest checking this out https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/laser-measuring-glm165-40-187965-p/ I have been using one of these (older model) for several years and it is great. My eye sight is not great with close up work and this helps. It measures to +/- 1/16th. My experience has been that it is dead accurate. I always measure twice, if different I measure a 3rd time--usually it is an actual differentiation in the piece itself rather than an error.

#19 ·
My M-I-L gave me a blue one (don't know who made it) but I really had no use for all of the features. It used 1 AAA battery, could store a bunch of readings, but was a little big in the hand for everyday use. It was about the size of a smartphone, but over 1 inch thick. The blade was very rigid.

If you were doing room estimating or something repeatedly, maybe it would be handy. If I remember, it could record a few seconds of voice as well.

It lives up with my Dad now, he likes the big display.

Definitely a tool that has a future, just don't know when it will be 'perfect' for everyone yet.

#28 ·
Herb,

We bought two of these a while back, thinking these would be great in our little wood shop. Neither of them held up for any time at all. One had the spring go bad inside. When I opened it up it was very rusty and locked up. It had never been near water since we had had it.
The other one we still have, it is accurate, but must very careful as we release it to go back into the case as it will catch. I have just about quit using it all together. It is a great idea and they may be better now, I hope so. We purchased from amazon about two years ago I think.

Thanks,Tagwatts

#29 ·
More and more I'm going back to my old analog days. This may be just the ticket for some but, by choice, I'm staying dial and good ole way...for me, it's a preference thing...I guess I like the good ole mousetrap...

#30 ·
If I could double or triple like your post I would. About 15 years ago I bought a very expensive Starrett digital caliper as in over $180 expensive. It eats batteries and is virtually worthless now. Then I go on ebay and see old Starrett and Brown and Sharpe or Mitutoyo analog devices that may be worth more now than when they were originally purchased.

#32 ·
Starrett Tape Measure

About 10 years ago I was given an expensive Starrett (isn't anything Starrett expensive?) digital tape measure that was very high quality and quite accurate. It used an unusual battery that seemed to last a long time but was a bear to find replacements. After about a year it just quit. I contacted Starrett and they quickly replaced it. That one lasted about the same amount of time and when I again contacted Starrett they said they quit making it so could not replace mine. Pretty expensive paper weight!
I have a nice digital caliper that just eats batteries. I finally decided to take the lone battery out each time when I am done measuring and mumble something about never buying another simple tool that uses batteries!

#35 ·
I had a look see in the shop while hanging my new table saw sled and found the old digital. It's a Starrett 25' and of course the battery is dead. I have to go out this afternoon to pick up dinner and may get a battery at the hardware store and test it out. It takes a 3V battery and tested at 0.14 volts DC so I'm guessing its too dead to even try. Sort of the way I feel after 9pm these days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.