Router Forums banner

Problem with Porter Cable 892 router

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  sourdough 
#1 ·
I have a PC 892 router in my router table and have been having increasing difficulty adjusting the bit. Whenever I raise the bit it begins to bind and I can see the bit lean over to the side as the motor cocks sideways in the fixed base.
I pulled the base off and cleaned out all the saw dust and brushed out the teeth in the adjuster. When I put it back together it moves a little easier but still is off. I find that the increased tension causes the blade to not only be cocked a little sidways screwing up the cut, while it is running the router will right itself causing the blade to straighten and the bit height to rise.

Anyone else seen this? This router is only a few months old and has not seen a lot of work.
It is attached to an WoodPecker aluminum insert plate and it is not the plate flexing.

#6 ·
I have the same router in my table, but I have mine mounted in a woodpecker lift, so I can't say what the problem is.

Maybe try cleaning everything again and then coating it with a dry lube like graphite or some thing like that.

Danny.

#7 ·
Have been using the same router for past five years and more without a problem-other than the original plunge base. I think you have a defect in the router motor and base assembly. I'd call nearest PC repair center.....find one easily.
I'm betting that is what is wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.