Router Forums banner

Thread cutting jig using a router

19K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  istracpsboss 
#1 ·
Has anyone seen or perhaps even made a jig that can cut threads in a wooden dowel? I recall seeing a book about routers jigs over a year ago that showed how this could be done but have not been able to located the book again.

#2 · (Edited)
Hi Julian

You can get them but I don't know of one for the router.
I have the set from 1/2" to 2" .
G1870 Wood Threading - 1" Die

Just a note ,take it back,,,I have seen a jig to do it with a router, I will dig around and if I find it I will post it.
The Router Crafter may do it also but I have not tried that, just need to make a fine index part for it..
The hard part would be the female part but that could be make on a lathe..
=======

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)

Attachments

#9 ·
To cut threads on a dowel, there are at least a couple of approaches. The first (and traditional) method is the equivalent of a tap and die set - essentially the Beall and other brands that have been mentioned. Roy Underhill also did a segment on making one, years back.

The second approach is the equivalent of a machinist's milling machine, but using a router as the cutting tool. This requires a geared coordination of the rotation of the stock and the lateral movement of the router. ShopNotes magazine, in vol. 20 issue 115, showed such a router-based "mill" using a combination of wooden gears and an Acme-threaded rod for this purpose. With the right gearing, it could cut threads (outside/male), too, I suppose. One would still need a corresponding tap to cut the corresponding female threads, however.

ShopNotes Magazine - Woodworking Plans, Tips and Videos

#11 ·
I watched an episode along time ago of Roy Underhill and he made his own for making the thread on a dowel it was basically a flat piece of wood with a hole then he inserted a piece of shaped metal sharpened in at an angle and cut. I think it was basically a home made version of the one Bob posted.

#12 · (Edited)
#18 ·
Hi

You can also use the standard tap and dies, that you can find at the flea market at the right price,I have only one size ( 1"-8 ) for now, that I got for 10.oo for both..but it must be used on Maple or one of the better hardwoods..

============

==========

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.