Router Forums banner

variable speed device

4K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  jw2170 
#1 ·
Hi all, can anyone tell me if there is a way or device to make a 3hp Makita router into variable speed also appr. cost please

#4 ·
Lee

Will those devices work in Oz? Only asking because Oz is on 230/240volt and not 120 volt like the USA

Regards

Phil

#5 ·
Hi Ross

You are out of luck on that one,you will need to BUY a Makita router with the speed control built in....no one makes a ext.speed control box for the 220 volt wiring that you have in AU.

=

#12 ·
Good find James

But I'm not sure if it will take on the 3 1/4 HP router But a called is needed b/4 he drops 100.oo bucks for one..but I still think he should find a good use router that has one built in..:)

==

#13 ·
Sorry I don't see a pic of the plug. You must plug it in to some sort of receptacle in oz. Do they sell light dimmer switches in OZ? My suggestion is go to your big box store buy the receptacle that your router plugs into wire the receptacle to dimmer in a two device electrical box. I would like to learn why it wont work so please humor me

Good Luck

#14 · (Edited)
Hi Bill

" light dimmers "I have tried many types and they just don't work, to light to start with (3 amp. the norm) the speed control device needs to be more than just a pot.
It would be real tricky with the funny voltage they have in AU. lights are one thing but motors, well..

Plug ,see the post by James and you will see the socket for the plug, they must have for the over the pond tools..
The eBay item has a plug for the USA type outlet..

We have some high tech members that will put in some mud in the water and tell you why, but I can tell you they just don't work.. :(

==

#15 ·
Hi paduke this is the type of power plug that is used here in Au (first photo).Not all power plugs have 3 pins some only have 2 but they are all flat/bayonet type pins regardless of the amperage. The pins on three phase are round and have 5 pins (second photo).

Regards

Harold

Attachments

#19 ·
Hi Howard

10 amps is the standard socket rating for domestic 240V power in Australia.

I run my Makita 3612c and triton TRA001 through that type socket all the time.

I have a 16amp for the A/Con unit.

Everything else ( washer / dryer/ fridges) run through 10 amps, even the GMC table saw.

Maybe our 10amps is stronger than your 15 amps........just kidding:unsure:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.