Router Forums banner

Issue MLCS Box joint cutter

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  dutchman 46 
#1 ·
What would you do ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~
Would you Use epoxy to fill little gaps on the order of 0.005" or try to re set the box joint cutter. There's light showing between the fingers at the factory setting.

Had this cutter a while.
When I got it I realized I needed to do a few things before using it.
Those things are done so today I went to cut some box joints
I have 76 drawers to do so I’m only too happy not to be doing this the old fashioned way.

Took a pass. Looks great~!! Happy Happy Happy. Put the parts together mmmmm snug fit. Oh golly I’m a happy camper.
Held the parts up to a harsh light. !! It’s always the harsh light that shows the flaws ain’t it?
There’s light between most of the fingers.
That’s not good.
There are two solutions: Epoxy (to fill the gaps), or take it apart and set it up right.

The damn cutter wasn’t set up right at the factory.
The fingers are not all .156” ( 5/32”) Hell not one is.
The slots are not 0.156” either. They are between 0.162” and 0.160” The slots are fixed. That’s what the cutter makes when it takes a pass. I can’t adjust the slot I can only adjust the fingers.

The thing came with a slew of 0.005” shims. So the challenge is to get all the fingers to match the slots.

I bet this is the difference between a spendy high end cutter and these Cheapo cutters.
The spendy ones come factory set correctly – I am guessing.
Damn Chinese can’t do anything right.

What would you do: Epoxy or try to set it up right with the limits of having only 0.005” shims?

See less See more
#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
There should be no room for glue. At least not in the colloquial sense. The glue should have to muscle it's way in. PVA and white glues want a very intimate contact one almost can't apply enough pressure. They work best at very thin cross sections.
Epoxies can fill in little gaps but not titebond and white glue.

The way I put those kinds of joints together where a tight sliding fit is the order of the day Is I glue both surfaces let the glue settle in for a couple minutes and then put it together. There's always plenty of glue on even the tightest of fits.

Anyway I "fixed" the xxxxxx up factory settings. You really should not be able to see light in the fits.
I added two 0.005" shims to positions #4 and #5
here
Text Blue Line Font Screenshot

and it made it all better.

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.