Router Forums banner

help making undermount wood drawer glides

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  margray 
#1 ·
Can anyone assist with making undermount drawer glides?
I have a project that needs 300 drawers and they want undermount wood
I would like to make my own
thank you in advance
Mary

#2 · (Edited)
Hi Mary

It's best to just buy them for 5.oo each,because it's only one rail you want it to work right every time you pull the drawer out..

But I will say you can make your own with some 1/4" thick hard wood and the router table,you just need some rabbits on both sides of the rail and all 3 parts..

Knape & Vogt Undermount Drawer Slide (1129PZC22)

Knape & Vogt Undermount Drawer Slide (1129PZC18)

Undermount Drawer Slides,*Drawer Slides and Drawer Parts,*Hardware - Rockler

Drawer Slides, Table Slides, Door Slides & Undermount Slides at Woodcraft

Installing Under-Mount Drawer Slides - YouTube
==

Attachments

#3 ·
Greetings Mary,

Welcome to The Router Forums!

Here is a link to a book on Google Books that might help you decide how to build the wood glides you described.

Cabinetwork and Joinery is a book written in 1907 by Paul Nooncree Hasluck. It contains plans and design information for a wide variety of furniture and cabinet items.

#4 ·
Greetings and welcome to the Router Forums. We are glad you have chosen to join us.

#5 ·
Dovetail slides

One could always make some dovetail slides. Alignment with any shop made guide could be a problem, so with 300 drawers, I would make a template to assist with the alignment. What is the reason for an undermount design? Is it to save space (so the mechanics are more hidden) or is it for binding (so the drawer doesn't go crooked), or some other reason? I would love to see your solution. Good luck.

#6 ·
Many thanks to all and your responses - It looks like the owner now wants metal undermounts and we no longer have to figure out how to make (and keep uniform so they don't bind) ... BUT I have researched and printed out all of your responses and checked on the books and will keep in case we need to go this route on another project.
we have been told to go with KV's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.