Router Forums banner

My first table. . .

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Dejure 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I finally got some time yesterday to work on my table. It isn't anything special, with the exception of the top, it is all recycled wood from my house remodel.

Purpose of table will be to #1 be extremely packable, #2 be extremely simple, #3give me a great idea of what I will want when I actually build a permanent table.

Currently I'm working on my back veranda (live in Belize so weather isn't a problem) and have to set everything up and tear everything down and store in a little shed.

Top is the only thing I spent money on. It is 8 gauge Aluminum 16" x 30" with a 10" x 14" insert of the same 8 gauge. I'm fortunate that there is a Tin Smith shop near by and very cheap. I attached the top to an old kitchen cabinet door leaving a 3/4" lip for the insert to set on. I took my time cutting out the whole for the insert and used a grinder to have a nice smooth fit. I used a 3" whole saw (for metal doors) to cut the opening for the router, then marked and drilled the holes to attach the router.

The legs are old base board (3/4" x 6") boards. They slide into a 2x4 that I ripped in half at a 5 degree angle. This give the "A" frame type slant to the legs. I still need to work out how to attach the cross brace as it it a little wobbly without some sort of brace.

I'm simply going to clamp a board down for the fence at this point. I'm thinking of clamping a drywall square to a 2x4 and use a flush trim bit to get a straight edge for the fence.

Open to any comments, concerns, etc. Love the site and have learned a ton!

Andy

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Definitely looks workable. As long as it does the job, that's what really counts. Nice job.

#3 ·
Hi Andy, I agree with Theo, "As long as it does the job, that's what really counts"...

#4 ·
Thanks, it won't win any beauty contests, but very workable. I went with the aluminum top due to the extreme humidity here in Belize. It's very hard to get something that is stable. Mahogany works, but the aluminum was just as cheap and won't give me issues.

#9 ·
I figured out the brace today. I started with using a "spring" board wedged between the legs. I found that I was putting enough pressure that I actually put a bow in the top. So refigured and went with another cabinet door and put two cleats on each side that mirrored the angle I needed. It just slides on the back. Now it is firm and no wiggle.

Finished up a shelf for our van in the back with it and it worked great!

Andy

#12 ·
Looks like you're off to a good start. The metal plate is, certainly, a winner.

If you are going to use a 2x, you might consider putting a pin in one end so it can pivot, so you only have to clamp one end.

There are several ways to clamp the other end. For example. you could cut the end of the fence down and cut a slot in it so you could drop a bolt through and move it as you arced the fence, to create a built-in clamp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.