7K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  kp91 
#1 ·
Home | Centipede Sawhorse

Tool: Centipede Sawhorse 2 x 4
Reviewer: KP91 (Doug)
Tool Rating: 9
Picture: Attached
Review:

I was watching a woodworking video on-line months back, and it was sponsored by a company I had never heard of before. I decided to check them out, and found out about a start up company with a new design for a saw horse/work support system.

After the first few seconds of the demo video, I was hooked, and decided that I was going to spoil myself for Christmas. The idea of a product that can support a full size sheet when breaking it down, yet fold up into almost nothing was the key factor, since I usually work outside and have to set up and tear down at the end of the day.

I settled on 2 of the smaller units instead of the 4 x 8 unit since the idea of using it as portable tables for camping, yard sales, etc started bouncing around in my brain. I still can use the two units together with a piece of foamboard on top for a sheet good cutting table.

Since Centipede is a start up company, the had to finish selling the pre-orders to pay for the production run. So I waited patiently, went out to sea, and came back... hoping they would arrive soon. I got a heads up email that they had shipped, and 2 days later they were at my door.

So far, they more than meet the claims in the sales videos. The unit sets up without any tools (or even instructions) necessary. The 2x4 holders work just fine, and the bench holdfasts do a decent job. With a 2 x 4 across the narrow ends it makes a great sawhorse. I don't think my folding saw horses will be seeing much action anytime soon (at least not at my house)

I grabbed a couple of 2 x 4s and some old plywood shelves and put a work surface on in no time flat. It is a quick, big and stable work surface. I don't think I would use it as a 'work bench', but it is a handy auxilliary table and tool stand.

The pictures below show my progression of planer stands that I have used over the years. The steel and plastic ones worked OK, but when planing long boards I have issues with tipping, even when using my outfeed roller stands. I am hoping the longer footprint of the Centipede will make a more stable planer stand. I also like the height for my spindle sander as well.

For the price I have paid for folding sawhorses, sawhorse brackets, tools supports, etc over the years, the Centipede is a decent value. I am sure I will find more and more uses for them as I play around with them.

I hope that the company is able to get this product off the ground, and get this product into more retailers where it can be evaluated first hand by other hobbyists and contractors. This is a relatively simple product, but it is well executed and I am glad I took the leap supporting them. I can't wait to see what other ideas they have to offer.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
how much are they selling for...pricing?? for different sizes??

#5 ·
That looks just like what I need. Something that doesn't take up much room when stored, yet sets up easy for cutting sheet goods.

Did you buy the accessories? I got lost reading and looking at the videos. What exactly comes with the Centipede?

I am thinking two of the small ones would work well for temp picnic tables or whatever and set up up together for cutting the plywood.
Thanks for the heads up.
Mike

#11 ·
Lots of questions--- I hope I am keeping up with them!

The sawhorse stands about 30 inches high without the 2 x 4's on top, or roughly 31 and 1/2 with them.

This is about the same height as the standard folding sawhorses I have aquired over the years.

Hopefully the picture with the traditional sawhorses will provide a little needed perspective.

The top does not come with the sawhorse, you make whatever you want. The top I have is 2 old 3/4 inch ply shelves on top of 2x4's which are in the holding brackets.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.