Router Forums banner

Nothing New, old trick still works

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Daikusan 
#1 ·
I ran out of nails on my finishing gun so I reverted to real nails. I used a trick I learned 10-15 years ago, something I wish I had learned 40 years ago. Even when trying to be as careful as I can, I can only drive 10-15 finishing nails before one blow would slip and leave a ding.:angry::sad:

Simple answer, drill holes the size of the nail head in a piece of 4mm plywood to make the jig. Pre-drill the holes in the wood and tap start the nails. Slip the jig over the nail and hit away. If there IS a miss it will only ding the plywood not the finish work. The last blow will leave the nail with less then 4mm exposed; perfect height for the set punch.

Wanted to post because this might help someone who isn’t aware of this little trick.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
May be old idea for you but it's a neat new idea for me.
Thanks for the tip.

#4 ·
Gene
LOL I just passing along something learned from somewhere else. When I meant "old", Im guessing it has been around a century or so. Glad you can use it!

Steve

#7 ·
The version I've used, when I think of it, just after I've dented the wood, is basically the same except that I cut a narrow pie slice out of the 'guard'.
My original was actually a 1/2 wide metal strip, with a crooked handle ...to keep your fingers back from the business end. The wedge opening lets you use it for any nails.

#9 · (Edited)
The wedge unit was essentially what I borrowed it from I think it was plastic though. I like the idea of metal esp. with a handle, last a long time. I chose the wood since I figured it was softer esp on 1/4 round, and with my hammer control it would be less damaging (its not that bad actually, but that one wrong blow. . . ). The downside like you said you need to make one for each job. Im sure others will like your idea better. Thanks!!

Chuck and Rick thanks for the feed back too!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.