Router Forums banner

Laguna TSS, Part 2.

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Goldenhammer4 
#1 ·
Over a year ago, I started with Part 1 of my review of the Laguna TSS I bought:
http://www.routerforums.com/tool-reviews/41643-laguna-tss.html

I held off on part 2 until I got things wrok out with the saw, Laguna, it's maufactrurer in Bulgaria... What can I saw except it has been entertaining, an adventure, ...???

I love the saw. Best saw I have owned. I saved and scrimped until I could afford it. I ordered it... and there were things wrong with what came or that were missing from it.

It was ordered a year ago last May. By last year September, I had re-ordered all the missing or bad parts that it needed.

One of the bad parts was the sliding table. None of my accessory positive stop miter table nor my outrigger table would mount to the side of the sliding table. The manufacturer (Stomana JSC) had mis-machined the slot on the side of that table, so the mounts that were supposed to go into those slots would not fit into the slot...

They ordered a new table from Stomana a year ago from last September... By late February, the container they said it was to ship in, arrived at Laguna, without that table. Credit to the then service manager and an interpretor, Stomana said they would airfreight the table to me. After 2 more months of hounding, it finally arrived...

I shipped it right back to Laguna. The slot was off by more than the original was!!! I shipped it back with measurements and drawings of how that table could be machined to be made "right." No answer from Laguna, so I called my contact in their CS. He knew nothing about it. Seems their Main Service/Parts/Recieving guy quit and no-one knew what was going on. He was to look in the warehouse and find that table to retrieve my drawings and notes. No answer since.

Like I said, the saw is a pleasure to use. I have modified it to be even more accurate and easier to use. There still are a few things to work out.

I am making an extended swing arm mount to use with a longer swingarm inner bar from a TSS 9, so that I can use my outrigger in the front of the sliding table.

I am going to try contacting Laguna again to see if they are going to resolve the issue with the slot on the sliding table.

I mounted an overhead blade guard (with DC) from another of their panel saws, which was cheaper, works better and really looks sharp. I would recommend that one as it really didn't cost that much... although maybe about as as much as a low-cost table saw.

See less See more
#2 ·
Good to be kept up-to-date on your experience, Mike.

I had assumed for some reason that Laguna was a top shelf European brand...

I trust this just a one off.....

#3 ·
I thought so also. Not sure if this was a one off problem or not, but it continued into the never-ending saga. At one point I got "Mike" involved in some conference calls with them.

Beforehand, I had read things about their customer service. The TS and TSS were supposed to be their flagship machines... The owners I talked to had good things to say about the saw itself.

They don't make their own produces, but contract manufacturers to make their machines to their spec's... and sell others (which are also imported).

I didn't find anything wrong with Laguna's customer service, but the support they got from their manufacturer is in question. Their sales staff were enrgetic, but I should have talked more to the Tech's, who knew more about their products.

That led into a misunderstanding from their sales staff, who assured me something worked a certain way, which didn't. Their CS and techs tried to make good on that later.

#4 · (Edited)
Hi, seems that Laguna itself was not the problem. They have been extremely helpful to me. I have the Fusion saw and cannot believe how accurate it is. My first one had a warped wing on the left side, so I asked for a replacement wing. They are not very far from me, so I drove my truck down with the saw as they requested, and without question, they replaced it with a brand new one. Not only that, but their setup guy went over the table with a heavy steel straight edge and there was only one spot that was .0015 low. That is for all intents and purposes, FLAT! When I got it home, the fence and blade were perfectly aligned and I have not had to mess with either yet (other than confirming 90 and 45 angles with a Wixey).

I know that if a company manufactures Laguna labeled products, you have to age your steel castings for at least a year before grinding them. I recently went with an engineer friend to buy a band saw from Laguna direct, and he was amazed at the American motor and the heavy duty bearings and massive drive and idler wheels. I am a Laguna fan and very happy with their customer service. Too bad about the other company's failure to match the Laguna specs, that can be very frustrating.

#5 ·
It is hard to imagine that a company like Laguna has such poor support. While you say you have no problem with their customer service, I would find an experience such as yours to be totally unacceptable and hold customer service responsible. Just a different viewpoint I suppose but having control over suppliers to be able to respond and react to customer problems is part of the customer service "big picture" and it sure sounds like they come up short on that. Your review would completely discourage me from buying their products....if I could afford them. Sure hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction.

#7 ·
I can't believe you are still having the same problems as when you, Dan, and I were PMing back last year. That's unacceptable by any standards.

#8 ·
Wow I can't believe I found this forum I have been researching hybrid table saws for two months brain wracking as to which one then stumbled on Laguna fusion decided to by but I still need some reassurance I m reaching out here to anyone who has one and give me some if not a lot of advice thanks

#9 ·
Goldenhammer4: I've had on for a year now and the fusion is an amazingly fine machine. I live a couple of hours from Laguna so when I had a wing that was not as flat as I'd like, I called and they had me bring the saw in. I did and they gave me a brand new one! It was assembled and they even brought out a machined straight edge to make sure it was flat. Only one small spot that was still well withing what generally is accepted as flat. Helped put it in my truck for the trip home. Even the first saw was set up nearly perfectly, and the second one was spot on and needed NO fence adjustment. The supplied blade is poor, but they always are. I love the saw and think it is the best in class. Did you know they have an American made motor? I looked at all alternatives before buying the Fusion and after using it for a year, I am certain my choice was very very good, so I think you'll love it too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.