Router Forums banner

New scroll saw recommendations

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  MAFoElffen 
#1 ·
I started a fresh thread, but this is a continuation from my thread called, "bummer".

So a refresher... My Hitachi CW60 stopped working. Motor not doing anything. After recommendations from peeps here, I by passed the speed controller. The motor then came on, but didn't act right. The armature was rocking back and forth, instead of rotating. Thought it might be the arm of the saw causing it. Took motor completely out of saw, had the vise hold it, and put 110v directly to it. Motor came on, but did it's rocking thing again. Check brushes, they looked good, after a couple more tries the motor just quit again. Still getting power to it, but nothing. SO.... I've decided to throw in the towel and get a new one.

So this takes me to my next question. What is a "good" scroll saw, in the "under" 300 dollar area? I'd love to get a Dewalt, but almost 500 is a little rich for my blood, for a saw I don't use very often, and for mostly light work, when I do. So I've read some decent reviews on Porter Cable from Lowes for $199. and also a Shop Fox through Sears, for $289. What do you all think??

#4 · (Edited)
I'm really not the one to ask on scrollsaws. I've never had a fancy enough scrollsaw to know what makes one "great."

I picked up an old craftsman in-trade for cutting pieces out for someone, for them to build 3 windmills.

I later picked up another Craftsman that was 70% off, when the local outlet was re-organizing their tool department. That one, I bought over 2 years ago and is still in the box... Funny how I just realized that it's out of warranty and I haven't even used it yet! I should ask my dad-- he has a Dewalt... and is downsizing (in an alzheimerz home now.)

#5 ·
I don't use a scroll saw often and I couldn't justify the Dewalt price either, so I went with the Porter Cable from Lowe's. It comes with its own stand which was helpful for me since I had no bench space for it. I haven't found the vibration to be a problem and the vacuum port works well. Once I started using Olson and Flying Dutchman blades my scroll saw work improved. Blade changing is a bit of a pain but I suspect it is on most saws. The built-in work light and dust blower work well. As I say, I'm a scroll saw novice but the Porter Cable works for my needs and was priced right.

#6 ·
Lee--i've got a Craftsman 16" that a guy from church gave me a few months ago. You're welcome to it for the cost of shipping, but i'd need to plug it in first to make sure it runs!! (if you actually use a scroll saw, this doesn't look like a high end model).

Don't know about your area, but like Russ i see decent scroll saws on CL up here on a regular basis at fair prices. (see a lot that aren't fair too!!) Seems to be a tool that a lot of people try to master and many get frustrated and put them up on a shelf. Which is exactly what i did with a 16" Grizzly i bought 2 years ago. Craigslist, sealed box that was 6 years old when i got it for $50. Seems okay, but like others--i've not taken the time to get friendly with it.

earl

#7 ·
New PC Scroll Saw

Thanks for all the recommendations, and thanks Earl, for the offer of the 16" Craftsman you weren't using. I should have taken you up on it!!

I went ahead and got the Porter Cable one from Lowes for 200. I tell ya, this one has nothing on my dead Hitachi. If I get half the life with this one as I did the Hitachi, I'll be lucky. The motor housing is plastic, as much as most of the saw. This saw weighs half of what the other saw weighed, and yet this one has an 18" throat instead of a 16" that the Hitachi has. The light is like 1/4 the size and brightness of the old light. The Hitachi didn't vibrate at all and the PC vibrates some in the mid range speeds. Cuts pretty good, so far for what I tried, but just don't look like half the saw the other one was.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.