Router Forums banner

Sign making observations...

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  rwl7532 
#1 · (Edited)
not new to routing, but new to sign making...did some study and experimenting regarding transfering text to wood.

Tried carbon paper-too laborious, tried the laser printer/mirror image/laquer thinner/mirror image wipe method-not enough transferred. Penciled from cut out craft shop letters, fine, laborious, and limited fonts available.

Then happened on the inkjet printer/avery label backing sheet/mirror image/burnish method...viola, success! A clear, clean, quick eze process.

bonus, if your inkjet has a mirror image setting (many do), you can create your letters, images, whatever in any program, i.e. ms word, publisher and even pictures.
I did download and have used Inkscape (free program) for more options (mirror image if your printer doesn't have that option), but I am more familiar with msoffice, programs and ease of use, plus Word has a good variety of fonts.

Just thought I'd share, likely redundant to you experienced folks.

Best,
Ron

(note, using a DW618 w/vac attachment, PW sub base, MLCS veining and other bits)
(using the cedar dog ear fence pickets approx 1/2 x 6", great for many signs, and very inexpensive about $2.50 @ HD -4-5' length)

See less See more
#2 ·
There's also "Applique Film". It's available through most Stationery stores. It's an 8.5 X 11" sheet of plastic material that you can run through a laser or inkjet printer and it has a peel- and-stick backing that is easily removed afterward. I use it for scroll saw and power carving work.

Charley

#3 ·
Can the backing sheets be purchased alone or do you have to buy labels and discard them? I read about this method awhile back but have yet to try it because I don't have any backing sheets yet. Hate to go buy labels and discard them for the backing sheets just to try the method. :)

#5 ·
In Goggling that process, I also found this, which could come in handy in large signs.

Block Posters - Create large wall posters from any image for free! - You can print an image over several sheets of paper, to create a large sign.

And Bob, I don't think you can purchase just the wax papered backing. Which is no problem for me, as I once bought a box of Avery adhesive sheets that I thought was just the little tags, and ended up being full sheets. Or I bought them for a one time project. Either way, I've never used them since --- till now!!

#8 · (Edited)
Pounce patterns for sign making

Google pounce pattern.

Shops that make vinyl lettering can also make a paper pounce pattern.

I used charcoal as in my pounce bag. (yeah messy).

The attached picture of the restaurant's doors I did 10 times using the same paper pounce pattern.

The floral pattern on french doors was done onsite. One day of pouncing and cutting. One day of sandblasting.
The mirror image of the floral pattern was just flipping the paper pounce pattern over and pouncing the other side.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.