Router Forums banner

Recommended clamps

16K views 114 replies 18 participants last post by  DaninVan 
#1 ·
Guys I've always used those clamps from Canadian Tire where you squeeze the handle to get them to clamp , but I want to start accumulating better ones .

These were at HomeDepot, but what would you recommend for cabinet making . The red ones pictured here only go to 3 feet

I think it's back to Lee Valley

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Rick

Bessey clamps - you can get them in lengths from 12" to 98". The longest I have are 50", anything longer and I use 3/4" pipe clamps.

I try to pick up a few Besseys when I attend woodworking shows - they usually have show specials on pricing.
A number of years ago at the show in Kitchener (no longer running) I picked up a special of 2 x 24", 2 x 50", a pack of the corner blocks for about $150 all in.

I've got a few of the "Quick Grip" in a couple of lengths and they are just OK, but I find I have to squeeze the heck out of them to get the proper pressure.

I've got a few of the "F" clamps from crappy tire (they were cheap back then), but I find I hardly use them.

Vince

Edit to add: I meant the Bessey parallel clamps not the F style.

#6 ·
Vince I forgot but yes that's what I have , those quick grip clamps and I don't much care for them .
I see Bessey seems to be fairly popular so I'll start with them . They said at HD that they had some pipe clamps , but that you had to add the pipe I think ?
They couldn't find them unfortunately , so I couldn't get a look at how they worked

#3 ·
#12 ·
Ha ha, quoting myself. :surprise:

Sometimes on bigger projects, pipe clamps are a good, and reasonable option to help with assembly.

You can buy the ten foot sticks at the bog box stores and ask them to cut and thread several pieces.

Remember my thread on pipe clamps...
http://www.routerforums.com/tools-woodworking/53569-pipe-clamps.html

As you can see, I use all sorts of clamps.

If I were to buy a few more Besseys, I would get the thirty inchers if available. I seem to recall the 24 inch models didn't fit my cabinets that were exactly 24 inches deep (23 1/4 inch carcase and 3/4 inch face frame).

Pipe clamps for the bigger projects. They are easy to add couplings and additional pieces to make them longer.

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
Rick the first thing to keep in mind is that over clamping is the most common cause of joint failure. That fact should always factor into decisions. In some cases common masking tape is enough to hold a joint together. But I have a lot of clamps and of different kinds so here are my observations.

The blue ones from C T are pretty good and often go on sale at really good prices. I think they are available to 48" but they get pretty heavy at that length. The swivel handle allows for a lot of pressure if you need it. Just check to make sure the screw was drilled straight. Some aren't.

Besseys are really nice but very expensive. I find Jorgensens to be the best compromise between value and function.

I consider a few pipe clamps a necessity. Pipe clamps exert pretty good pressure and can be made any length. In fact you can add pipe together with pipe couplings if needed. I've gone 11-12 feet before.

I have a couple of welding clamps that come in handy at times as the reach they have is longer. I have a couple of either 30 or 36" ones. They are quite heavy though.

There are clamps with aluminum box beams that are really good in longer lengths. They are very light, can be handled with one hand, and are way cheaper in long lengths than other clamps. They will apply adequate pressure in almost all cases.

The most used clamps I have are some 4" ones I got from Lee Valley years ago. I bought a box of ten. I wish I had gotten 20. I don't see them in the catalog any more.

Even the plastic or metal spring clamps can be handy at times and they are cheap if you watch for a sale.

#11 ·
Reason I like the Bessey parallel clamps is because when I set them on my bench in preparation for clamping, they stay where I put them and don't tip. They also apply even pressure. You can't do that with the CT F clamps, but I will resort to them when I need several clamps - I just find them unwieldy and make me wish I had three hands.

The clamps you pictured I refer to them as "Jorgensens" but I know that is a brand name - they are more commonly called hand screw clamps or just screw clamps. I've got a couple. They don't mark your work because they are made out of wood. I use them when I need to secure a workpiece to a bench, or if I need to hold a workpiece upright, I'll place the screw clamp on the bench and have it act as a base. They also have adjustable faces so you can clamp odd shaped pieces and they have a long clamping surface and come in different sizes.

#14 ·
Bite the financial bullet and get three or four Bessey K body clamps. They will make glue-ups a much easier and better (as in more precise) process. In gluing up panels one of the major problems is getting all the boards level and here the Bessey's will excel. Use your less expensive clamps in between the Bessey's for added clamping and even clamping pressure.

#17 · (Edited)
Dennis I see your point now . I am going to order some of those K version now :)

Mike I think I'm going to bite the bullet and order 2 of the 50" and 2 of the 30" in the good ones like you have.
They give you a bit of a break if you buy in quantities f four but geez that gets expensive fast .
Do I have your blessing , or should I choose different sizes ? They will pretty much be used for building drawers for my bigger router table plus the router table chassis itself that will be below the Incra top like Timbertailor's

Lee Valley Tools - Important Announcement

#15 ·
What . . . 14 responses and not one "you can never have too many clamps"?

I'd say, you can't have enough different types of clamps! Each type has it's own 'strong points', and no clamp (that I've seen yet) works perfectly well in all situations. I particularly liked the pictures that Mike showed of the screw clamps modified to attach to a T-track!

#16 · (Edited)
Wow Mike your using those very expensive square Besseys . I have to get some of those someday too. .
I just got home from HD and here's my starter package . The four pack was only 29 bucks but the 36" long ones were $28 a piece.

If I was smart I should have been buying clamps of all sorts each pay check .

#21 · (Edited)
Rick, all types of clamps are handy because there are so many different projects you can make. One thing is certain: you will regret buying super cheap clamps. Modern wood glues are stronger than the wood; many people over tighten their clamps which causes distortion of the glue joint and warping. The object is to draw the wood together and squeeze out excess glue. If the joint is a nice clean line and a bit of glue has squeezed out you are on the money.

Rockler used to sell packages of heavy duty rubber bands that were perfect for small projects. About 1/2" wide in different diameters; I am sure you can find these cheap on the internet.

F style clamps develop more clamping pressure than quick grip style clamps; C clamps develop too much pressure if you over tighten them. Band clamps are great for shapes other than square/rectangle. Pipe clamps are cheap for larger projects but they are heavy and if you use black pipe against your wood it can cause discoloration. A piece of wax paper between the pipe/wood solves this. Aluminum bar clamps are great for larger projects but they can be very pricey. Everyone should have a couple 12" parallel wooden clamps, they are great for supporting projects and with a couple of small v shaped cuts in them do a great job holding pen blanks or dowels.

Rockler sells their Clamp-it blocks that are a great product. They help keep projects square and glue doesn't stick to them. You can build your own out of plywood but I feel these are well worth the money when on sale.
Clamp-It Assembly Square - Rockler Woodworking Tools

I think everyone should convert the handles on a couple of C clamps, it makes them so much easier to use. http://www.routerforums.com/general-routing/24098-converting-c-clamps.html

Attachments

#25 ·
Mike...
multifunction speed squares have it all over those squaring clamps...

#28 ·
Stick and I discussed using speed squares vs Clamp-it's. Trust me when I say Clamp-it's are a better choice. At the same time everyone should have a speed square, I use mine all the time.

#29 ·
As Norm says you can't have too many clamps. Harbor Freight has some decent F style clamps and prices that can't be beat.
36 in. Aluminum Bar Clamp

I wouldn't by any other ones that they sell but these are a pretty good value and it doesn't cost much to stock up on them especially with their 20% off coupons. These along with some really good but expensive ones will take care of most of your needs.

#30 ·
Keep in mind guys the Rainman and a bunch of others (me!) are up here N. of 49 and a lot of your distributors don't have outlets up here...not to mention, the EU, and pretty much the rest of the World.
Shipping from the US by anything other than USPS is a nasty business ....$$$$$$.

"... I just spent 700 bucks today lol , but I think there going to pay off "
Now that Rick is a partner in his local branch of HD...
His first clue that his status had been upgraded was when the franchise owner invited him out for lunch at Wendy's! :)

#33 ·
Rick, as an Incra man, you might have looked at their promo videos, where they use these clamps on their 90 deg fence to hold stock when making dovetails etc. Quite good for that application. Bit fiddley for other uses.
I endorse other comments re Bessey. You rapidly forget the price when you use them. Even better when you pick them up at a wood show etc on sale.
Clamps like everything else in this modern world of wood working will do your head in if you try to get it perfect. Maybe buy a couple of each, but definitely include Bessey.
Cheers

#37 ·
I like the large 10" wood clamps for the amount of surface area they can potentially reach. Sometimes you want to reach further into the work piece. These work great for that if you get used to adjusting them properly.

#36 ·
Rockler has the Irwin Parallel Clamp Set on sale for $119.99. The set has two 24's and two 48's. The offer ends June 30th and you have to use Promotion Code V1455 when you order.

I don't have these particular clamps so can't really say anything one way or the other... just wanted to throw the offer out there if anyone is interested.

#38 ·
Well thank you very much for your input Guys . I've gotta say watching your builds on here made me think about the importance of clamps , so I have no regrets spending money on them . I definitely have to keep my eyes open for promotions , as like they say , you can't have to many clamps :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.