Router Forums banner

New build/ CNC router

133K views 277 replies 37 participants last post by  RouterKing82 
#1 ·
I finally got my Joe 2006 package. This is the first attempt at building a CNC router and looking forward to the challenge.

The kit as received today!

John

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
HI John

You have your work cut out for you, looking forward to the test...and the setup..please keep the forum upto date as you go, many have asked how to make one and if they work and at what cost...
By the way did you get it all, motors,rods,wiring,software,etc.

======

Check twice! said:
I finally got my Joe 2006 package. This is the first attempt at building a CNC router and looking forward to the challenge.

The kit as received today!

John

#4 ·
Rolf,
I got the kit from San Antonio, Texas and the cost $600.00, there is another model for $400.00.

I am looking forward to the build.

John

#5 ·
Hi Bj

Yes, I will keep the forum up to date on my build. We will be starting this week. We bought a million bolts washers and the likes today. Well maybe not a million, but it seemed like it. I will post as I complete each step, until the finish, and watch that puppy sing. I hope! :)

I am buying the steppers, and drivers from CNC Hobby, (I think,,,, now I look) I would like to use 305 motort and a 3 axile drivers. Thoughts?

I am still looking for acme 1/2-10 rod, need abit of that and the nuts. The price they want here is crazy. I bought some local for my thickness sander I built, and cost $52.00 + tax for 3 ft. I am looking on either e-bay or use-econo.com, thoughts on that Bob?

As for the software, my son is digging into this now. This is a two man project, my son (26) and I. We both bring different qualities to the party. He will ultimately set the program up. We have not decided, suggestions?

A lot of this will now be a learning experience, for myself, and my son.

Now a question I do have "the type of router that is best suited for this type of work". I am looking more for specs that will match the complete package, not so much the brand.

Just as a matter of interest, I also have a complete build (tutorial) with photos for two thickness sanders I built. One no longer exists, (my first worked but was too large for the shop 25"x60") so the second generation was born, the 18x36". This is still working in my shop. The file is 1.9 MB.

Thanks for looking and chat soon.
John

Reactions: Moon2
#6 ·
Hi John

http://www.mcmaster.com/ for the acme rod 1/2-10 x 36", 23.oo bucks,they also have the nuts at....1.76 ea.

Software that's a hard one,,, it's not cheap ....
The one I used is called Designer, easy to use and setup...

===========

Check twice! said:
Hi Bj

Yes, I will keep the forum up to date on my build. We will be starting this week. We bought a million bolts washers and the likes today. Well maybe not a million, but it seemed like it. I will post as I complete each step, until the finish, and watch that puppy sing. I hope! :)

I am buying the steppers, and drivers from CNC Hobby, (I think,,,, now I look) I would like to use 305 motort and a 3 axile drivers. Thoughts?

I am still looking for acme 1/2-10 rod, need abit of that and the nuts. The price they want here is crazy. I bought some local for my thickness sander I built, and cost $52.00 + tax for 3 ft. I am looking on either e-bay or use-econo.com, thoughts on that Bob?

As for the software, my son is digging into this now. This is a two man project, my son (26) and I. We both bring different qualities to the party. He will ultimately set the program up. We have not decided, suggestions?

A lot of this will now be a learning experience, for myself, and my son.

Now a question I do have "the type of router that is best suited for this type of work". I am looking more for specs that will match the complete package, not so much the brand.

Just as a matter of interest, I also have a complete build (tutorial) with photos for two thickness sanders I built. One no longer exists, (my first worked but was too large for the shop 25"x60") so the second generation was born, the 18x36". This is still working in my shop. The file is 1.9 MB.

Thanks for looking and chat soon.
John

#7 ·
Bj

I would love to buy from them but for some funny reason they do not ship to Canada.

We will have no problem getting the software, but he is still researching what we really want. When I read around there seems to be about three programs favoured by most DYI hobby CNC's

11:20 pm heading to bed, Canada Day tomorrow, so it will give me some shop time. :)

John

#8 · (Edited)
#9 · (Edited)
Bj

Yes, Fastenal is local but they do not stock very much rod, I am going to use 2 start rod for the CNC and their price is crazy. This is where I bought my last piece for the thickness sander.

I may have to bit the bullet and pay the price. I am still searching. Living in the "rear end" of Canada, has advantages, (a beautiful place) but I have searched for a certain type of foam for our electronic drums we built, and ended up going south of the boarder. Our whole provience has only one million people. (small market).

I will start a new thread, for the thickness sander rather than mix it with CNC. I sometimes have a hard job chewing bubble gum and walking. :) I will put it in "show and tell".

Thanks for the link.
Have a great day, "Canada Day" for us.
John

#10 ·
This really is going to be an interesting thread John, the only experience that I've had is watching in awe at a three head CNC router doing it's stuff, it really was awesome.

#11 ·
The son and I did not let any grass grow under our feet, we went to work on it last night and primed the parts. We are going to start the build tonight, and see what we can get accomplished. I know this build is a long one, but a great challenge.

The painted parts.

John

Attachments

#14 ·
Well, the weekend brought some quality time and we used it wisley, the CNC machine.

Here are a few photos of the build up to date.

We managed to get the top and bottom of the gantry done and primed. The main issue here is to be sure the pieces are square and flat, or binding may occur on the X & Z axis.

We also got thr bed done, this had to be done section by section to be sure the bed is flat and square. There are 1/4" threaded rod that goes through and will allow for a small adjustment, if necessary. We will be gluing 1/2' cover piece on the bottom of the bed, and a sacrificial 1/2" top.

Dislikeing paint and varnish as I do, I thought it wise to paint the pieces before assembly leaving the areas unpainted where it will be glued. DO NOT DO THIS. caused me a lot of grief. I did end up doing it again anyway. I guess the son was right, he said after. :)

Just a lot of labour right now, but I am picking up some gas pipe and ordering motors this week. I think I have sourced some 10 - 2 start acme rod, locally.

Hope you enjoy,
John

Attachments

#16 ·
Well to show you guys, we have not been sleeping, I got a couple of photos of the bed and gantry.We have purchased our pipe for the carriages, and have to start the task of shining it. :(

We also have to build the axis bearings slides, 8 of them and them puppies need to be correct.

Don't laugh at the "green machine", my choice of color, not Scott's first choice. I win again, :)

A bit of an update, but mostly that silly thing called labour, happening. I have managed to get as much paint on me as the table, I guess I will not swell. :)

Have a great weekend
John

Attachments

#17 ·
A bit of an update, but mostly that silly thing called labour, happening. I have managed to get as much paint on me as the table, I guess I will not swell. :)

John
Well John, that certainly is labour intensive. Do you always choose huge projects, I mean this is a real back breaker but it seems you and your son are up to the challenge.

It's looking very nice.

Keep up the great work.

Ed......:)

#19 ·
Ed

I think I am getting foolish in the old age, but the son keeps me young and thinking. I always get the question from him "Dad can we build one of these", you can see the resaults. :) I don't choose them, they seem to choose me.

Bob

The blades you see are a set of rail and style, with a panel bit. The rest are just bits. I did have a shaper but got rid of it, the thing took room and I used it so little, "twice" to be honest. One of my gotta have pieces, that sat. :)
I bought the panel bit and the rail and style bit for the china cabinet for the better halfs collection of Angels.

Thanks for viewing!
A couple of photos.

John

Attachments

Reactions: Ryan360
#21 ·
Here is the jig I built to do our pipe. It is simple but seems to be working so far. I do need some washers 1 1/4" hole, the wooden ones I made are wearing away already. I inserted a piece of dowel into the pipe and drilled a hole through and put a nut and bolt. I then cut the head off a lag bolt and screwed it into the center of the dowel. The drill then tightens down on the lag bolt. Clamp it down and away we go.

I did use a file for a bit but I need a finer file or better sand paper, made for metal. We do have alot of work to do. Moving forward anyways.

Bob, I did try the sand belt reversed and it would work fine if I could have got the thing to track proper. The build is too rough for the fine tuning needed for tracking.

Have agreat day
John

Attachments

#23 ·
Doug

You may think this is foolish of me, I did not think of that. It is a little protected, so that must mean it is a little unprotected. :)

I will Cover it with a plastic garbage bag.

I really thank you, it shows posting photos does pay.

Once again thanks for picking up on that.

John

#25 · (Edited)
We have finally finished all the pipes, we still need a little bit of 3/4" rod but that we will clean by hand.

Our Acme and nuts are on back order and should be in the beginning of next week. Why do they let you go all the way there to pick up your material to find it has been delayed, wasted trip, time and patience. Grrrr :(

A couple of photos showing the jig for the 36" pipe, and the finished pipe. Now to cut it to length. The next move is the slide bearings.

Doug, the garbage bag is over the motor. :)

Have a great weekend
John/Scott

Attachments

#27 ·
Mike

We are buying our driver boards and motors from CNChobby, (Scott will be ordering them this week) this is a kit package about $300.00 for the kit. We are using 305 oz bi polar motors (last time Scott and I talked about this) and a 3 axis driver board.

Suggestions ??? :)

We will be using Mach3 for the drivers and Vcarve for the cam/cad end. This we will get near the end of the build, as the cost is quite expensive.

Suggestions ??? :)

Thanks Mike and you and yours have a great day.
John

#29 ·
John, I used to buy my drive components from IDC in Warren, MI. They are just around the corner from me and I will inquire if they ship to Canada. (Better late than never)

I have a great deal of experience working on 6 axis back gauges on Cincinnati machines. If you run into any set up problems I may be able to assist you. From the little I have learned about home built CNC machines I think you made the best choice on using the Mach III software. Looking good so far.

#30 ·
Glenmore

I always like to reach for the stars, I really enjoy the challange of the build, and most of all the learning. Thanks for the kind words. :)

Mike

I do thank you and I am new to this buisness of CNC but learning quickly, from people like yourself. I have no doubts I will be looking for assistance at some point, and the diversified talents of the members is amasing. I thank you for the offer and I am sure I will be knocking. :)

Off to work, have a great day and chat soon.

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.