Router Forums banner

Scroll Saw Recommendations

5K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  timbertailor 
#1 ·
I know there are lots of posts about different saws. There is even a thread especially for saws, but my question isn't covered. (In another post I've described the problem I have and assuming I can't fix it I want to start thinking about a replacement. )

My shop is pretty small at 175 square feet and I have lots of equipment. I need a saw that doesn't require it's own stand and can be moved easily. I bolt my Delta (witch has issues) to a workbench when in use and if I'm working on a non-scroll project I unbolt it and move it to a shelf in a closet until I need it again - gaining access to the whole bench. Even my router table gets taken apart and stored on a wall when not in use.

So I'm looking for recommendations for scroll saws that can be moved. And this may be my last scroll saw so I'm hoping to get a good one.

Thanks for reading and your suggestions.

#2 ·
Berry, I have an old Craftsman for those times I need to use a scroll saw and it is a pain to work with; no dust blower and the blades have pins to locate them. Lots of nice things are said about General International's Excalibur scroll saws. Scott Phillips of The American Woodshop has a couple of demo videos to watch online. It strikes me that this should be one to consider.

#3 ·
I purchased my saw a year ago I bought the Dewalt off Craig's List. The Excalibur is the Cadillac. But the Delta and the dewalt saws offer the same mechanism. I had an old Craftsman previously. The newer design makes scroll saw work fun not a chore. Delta brand is owned by a Taiwanese firm. Product support was a concern to me, since they had recently acquired the label from B&D.
If your budget supports the purchase I would recommend Amazon.com: Excalibur Scroll Saw 16 inch: Home Improvement the Excalibur 16" .

#4 ·
#5 ·
#11 ·
I had a Delta and it was such a pain to keep the blades from popping off I never used it and ended up selling it. I now have the Excalibur EX 21 and have no issues at all with it. Check out Youtube on the Dewalt 788 it has it's share of problems. There is an hour long video on how to fix it. The Hegner is a good saw but not the older ones, again check out Youtube. After a month of research I went with the Excalibur. If this is the last one you plan on buying then spend the big bucks you won't regret it.

#13 ·
I have a DeWalt 788 on a stand, but I take it off the stand and take it with me to shows and classes. It's heavy, but I can carry it to the car and into the shows and back with no problems. The stand goes too, but separate from the saw, and they get bolted back together. I've tuned my saw to allow cutting very tiny detailed pieces and the saw has always stayed well tuned through these trips. I'm doing a public show on Aug. 15 in Albemarle, NC on NC 24 - 27 at the Agri-Civic Center, just in case you might live near there. My 788 has seen a lot of use and moving, but it has held up very well. It's a Type 1 (US / Canada made). The Type 2 is imported and not as well made. Watch the ads for DeWalt 788 saws and buy a Type 1 used. Make sure it works OK before buying it, and you will have one of the best saws on the market.

Charley

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.