Router Forums banner

Drawer handle guide

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  vindaloo 
#1 ·
While reading Mike's 'Blake and Joanne's Kitchen Remodel' thread I was in the process of completing the build of my 4 drawer workshop unit for screws n such. I needed a way to ensure the handles were dead centre both horizontally and vertically.

So this is the end result of my multi-use jig, adjustable in depth from bottom of drawer and currently has three screw width holes, 50mm, 60mm and 70mm centres.

First I measure height of drawer front. Then set the jig height (depending on which centres I want to use) to half the drawer height.

Then I mark, lightly, the horizontal centre.

I place the jig on the bottom of the drawer front with the centre line lined up with the centre mark, and drill the two 2mm holes to a depth of about 6mm. Remove the jig and repeat on the other drawers.

Once done, drill through after putting a back support to avoid tearout and drill the required size screw holes.

Then I read the last few posts from mike where he'd made a drawer front sized template.........

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I like that template,Angie. I made a similar one for my shop drawers, but pretty crude compared to yours. Yours can be used even with different sized drawer fronts.

Mikes' is a good idea too, But what if you have different sized Drawer fronts? I used the actual drawer fronts on lots of projects and used the drawer pull holes to hold the drawer front in place for attaching the front to the drawer box while installed in the cabinet. That way I could adjust the front slightly to align it perfectly for plumb and gap between drawers. everyone has their own method, and if it works, that is what counts.

Herb

#4 ·
Thanks guys, I didn't have a drawer front to start with, just blank pine fronts. 3 of the four were the same height, the top drawer is slighlty shallower, so adjustment was necessary. The fixed perspex on the left is to maintain the 90 degree angle. I just gave it a couple of coats of antique pine clear satin varnish (what I had laying around) to protect it a bit.

The next cabinet has 7 or 8 drawers, not sure yet, but this jig will definately get used again and again.

#5 ·
Nice job, Angie...and to think I paid for mine...

I like yours better...might trash mine and build one...

Thanks for sharing...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.