Router Forums banner

Mount router under table with 4x toggle clamps?

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  old coasty 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
Are any of you using toggle clamps to mount your router under the router table? My plunge router is a "beginner's router" - not very big or heavy. Would this be a flexible system to mount/unmount the router fairly quickly? I'll be building a small sturdy but open bench-top router table.

Thanks for your thoughts/ideas.

#4 ·
Welcome Squid. I would also say no. The first problem would be keeping it in one place. Lee Valley used to sell a router table and still sell a plate that uses a clamping system that works quite well (I have the table) but it uses two semi circular pieces to trap the base in position and then it uses screw clamps to hold it down. I've never had a problem with it letting go or loosening off but I wouldn't try 4 clamps by themselves. You can see LV's system here. Veritas® Router Table Top - Lee Valley Tools The clamps are sitting on the top.

#5 ·
If the casting is confined so it won't rotate, 4 good toggles will easily hold it.
Notwithstanding, the intrinsic lever of a toggle is such that it bends the hell out of the substrate! Say four 200 pound toggles; that's 800 pounds of bending right where you don't want it. Steel substrate? Probably not a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.