Great news, router is up and running. We exported the machine log to a usb and reviewed the history of the machine. Found the same error code every time it was dormant for at least a month. (in storage, no electricity). From this information, we deduced there is an internal battery keeping the log memory stored. When the battery runs extra low, certain settings on the controller are lost.
With this newfound knowledge(last night at 11pm), we decided to check the port polarity. This mode(Menu, (8)Diagnosis, (3)Port Polarity) is a table displaying the GX's and GY's input of "P" or "N". All ports functioning correctly were marked "N" with an open circle beside it. When we arrived at GX10 and GX11 - (Tool lock, Tool unlock) the circles were closed and marked as "N". This was incongruent with the rest of the port inputs. We switched "N" to "P" on both GX10,GX11, the closed circles became open circles and the machine functioned perfectly for 2 sheets of 13mm and 2 sheets of 37mm birch this afternoon.
Needless to say, my customer is happy and i'm even happier.
If anyone has questions or wants more photos of this process, don't hesitate to ask. I'd be happy to elaborate as much as possible.
Thanks for all the help troubleshooting this problem ya'll.