Well, the weekend brought some quality time and we used it wisley, the CNC machine.
Here are a few photos of the build up to date.
We managed to get the top and bottom of the gantry done and primed. The main issue here is to be sure the pieces are square and flat, or binding may occur on the X & Z axis.
We also got thr bed done, this had to be done section by section to be sure the bed is flat and square. There are 1/4" threaded rod that goes through and will allow for a small adjustment, if necessary. We will be gluing 1/2' cover piece on the bottom of the bed, and a sacrificial 1/2" top.
Dislikeing paint and varnish as I do, I thought it wise to paint the pieces before assembly leaving the areas unpainted where it will be glued. DO NOT DO THIS. caused me a lot of grief. I did end up doing it again anyway. I guess the son was right, he said after.
Just a lot of labour right now, but I am picking up some gas pipe and ordering motors this week. I think I have sourced some 10 - 2 start acme rod, locally.
Hope you enjoy,